Protein feeder QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein feeder QUESTION

Is it better to use smaller feeders and fill them more often or use big ones. We currently have 2500 pound outback feeders. Worried about feed getting old in them. What is your experience with protein feeders. Any suggestions appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garnanimous.

driving in and out for 250 lbs gets old in july. they go thru it FAST.

Comment

Bigger is better. Less pressure on it and deer tend to go thru it quickly

Comment

Big and waterproof are best.

Comment

Get the biggest you can afford. You don't have to fill it up all the way. I've got a corn feeder that holds 33 50 lb sacks of corn. But don't have to worry about it bring empty when I go hunting.

Comment

We are in Stonewall county also. We are only on 300 acres and have 3-2000# protein feeders and our deer go through the 6000#’s about every 6 weeks. So as stated above go as big as you can.

Comment

Bigger is better. Our 1,500lb feeders last about 5-6 weeks.

Comment

Seems like a simple question

I laugh at all the people with academy feeders or small ones. It's likely empty half the time

Time is money

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                  Seems like a simple question

I laugh at all the people with academy feeders or small ones. It's likely empty half the time

Time is money
                  Why do you laugh?

Comment

so I guess the next question is...

timed protein vs free choice

seems like free choice with biggest feeder = deep pockets

Comment

Bigger is better. 2000 free choice at our lease will get drained in a month in the end of summer. It all depends on your deer density and browse. I personally wouldn't waste my time with a free choice protein feeder under 1500-2000lbs unless you live nearby and have time to fill it every few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by frios View Post
                        so I guess the next question is...

timed protein vs free choice

seems like free choice with biggest feeder = deep pockets
                        Not necessarily, set a budget per month and donÂ’t exceed it, timed can prolong feeding vs them draining a feeder in a week.

Obviously unlimited free choice is best but IÂ’m not gonna spend another mortgage payment every month to feed the deer. Every little bit helps.

Comment

We where going through 2 250lb feeders every 3 days on our place. We went with timed feeders that go off during hunting times. We have the deer during the day and our neighbors that have free choice only have night pics of the deer. They are perplexed. LOL...We usually open it for 20min in the morning and 20min in the evening. Once it closed they still have the whole tube to eat. So they have a bite during the day or night as well.

Comment

i hunt in Haskell/Stonewall county area. we want to start protein feed program on our lease. How many feeders do we need per acre? i have read anywhere from 0ne per hundred to one per 500 acres. thx

Comment

The larger the better. You'll be refilling it less and the cost per #'s of feed it holds is less, i.e. one 2000# feeder is less than 2x 1000# feeders.

Ring it with hog panels, else you'll just be feeding the hogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X