Well, we have reached a crossroads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where traditional archery may not be a choice any longer if I want to continue to bow hunt.

In august I tore my rotator cuff sighting in my new Elite compound. Don’t know if it was the sole cause more likely the straw that broke the camels back. Took it real easy practicing due to my upcoming Ohio hunt where I went and made two kills with it. I could shoot it but it was moderately painful.

Put it down and stuck with my trad gear which surprisingly I have no trouble shooting.

Today after a practice session with my Grizzly recurve I decided to give it a shot with the compound. I couldn’t even pull it back one time. Arm was in literal searing pain.

I’m having to call off my red stag hunt in Argentina in March due to this injury.

I always wanted to keep my compound for western hunts for mule deer, Bear and elk but now that may not be an option.

Glad I can still draw a recurve with no issues

Good luck! I hope you can get your shoulder fixed and get back to shooting all your bows. And I’m also glad you can still shoot the trad bow!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Not sure how old you are but I tore my rotator cuff two years in a row.
      Since I started TRT I haven't had that issue. It healed quickly and has not recurred.
      Bone spurs in my AC joint yes. But that's an arthritis issue.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
        Where traditional archery may not be a choice any longer if I want to continue to bow hunt.

In august I tore my rotator cuff sighting in my new Elite compound. Don’t know if it was the sole cause more likely the straw that broke the camels back. Took it real easy practicing due to my upcoming Ohio hunt where I went and made two kills with it. I could shoot it but it was moderately painful.

Put it down and stuck with my trad gear which surprisingly I have no trouble shooting.

Today after a practice session with my Grizzly recurve I decided to give it a shot with the compound. I couldn’t even pull it back one time. Arm was in literal searing pain.

I’m having to call off my red stag hunt in Argentina in March due to this injury.

I always wanted to keep my compound for western hunts for mule deer, Bear and elk but now that may not be an option.
        Glad I can still draw a recurve with no issues
        Mine is just the opposite, I tore mine and can’t shoot my long bows any longer, compound I don’t have nearly as much pain.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I’m currently going through the same thing. If you haven’t already spoken to your doctor about it, I’d suggest you consider regenerative therapy (either Platelet Rich Plasma—PRP—or Stem Cell Treatment) before you agree to surgery.

Until regenerative therapies, conventional wisdom was that soft tissue—specifically cartilage, tendons, and ligaments—could not heal itself (I.e., by generating new tissue) in the same way hard tissue (I.e., bone) can. While surgery helps restore function of the joint by trimming damaged tissue and patching a tear, it does nothing to actuate the healing process. A few lucky patients may recover 100% functionality from surgery, but most do not.

Although regenerative therapies are not a guarantee, they are a good bet. Surgery should be a last resort, IMO. In my personal experience, I have realized a high degree of efficacy with PRP specifically. Another member, ddcainjr recently posted something about his recent experience with stem cell treatment.

Whichever, therapeutic option you chose, I wish you the best of luck for a full recovery.

Comment

That is odd. You didn't share any numbers or say which compound that you have been using so I'm just guessing here. I had to step away from the seventy-pound compounds years ago. I found that sixty pounds is more than enough to get the job done. Some of the speed bows have such a radical cam set-up that the draw cycle is harsh, which isn't good for painful shoulders. I recently had a shoulder injury and had to drop down into the low thirties on trad bows. I'm happy to say that a couple of months of rehab and a gradual build-up in weight has me back to shooting my normal trad weight. Buying a compound bow with less radical cams only cost about five or six feet per second, so that is a no-brainer for me. I don't have a chrono, but from what I read, that sixty-pound comfort compound still spits out an arrow that is moving close to 300 feet per second. My trad bows might be around 180. Just for play, I bought an old Mathews Drenalin with sixty pound limbs and backed them off a couple of turns more than recommended. That bow is a lot faster than any of my trad bows and feels like a kid bow on the draw. No one that has seen it shoot has mentioned that it appears to be a slow bow. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on Whitetail size animals, either.

Comment

Let me jus say Been There Done That...Crossbow with (crank cocker) try before ya buy lots sorry crank systems that suck...And of course GUN..

Comment

Not if you're shooting hunting weight arrows. Especially if your draw length is less than the 28" IBO measure.
                I tried that route and I was only getting 245fps with an Elite bow. Draw was easy but so slow.
                Even my Hoyt I'm only running 285fps. Probably less now with the heavier arrows and weight up front I'm building.
                What many don't get though is a 50lb compound will blow arrows through pigs and deer. The efficiency of these newer bows is incredible.
                I'm the opposite as well. I could draw my compound (60lbs) with minimal discomfort but my trad bows not so much.
                It has a lot to do with your draw cycle as well. With a compound it's easier to manipulate your holding due to the let off. When I was waiting on surgery for each of my shoulders in 2009 and 2012 I found ways to get drawn and shoot so I could hunt. The release was always painful but the draw cycle completely doable.

Disclaimer: I have a stupidly high tolerance for pain and do not suggest following my example over a doctor's recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                  That is odd. You didn't share any numbers or say which compound that you have been using so I'm just guessing here. I had to step away from the seventy-pound compounds years ago. I found that sixty pounds is more than enough to get the job done.
                  The elite is set at 80 lbs. Draw cycle is very smooth and actually easier to pull back than the Halon 32 it replaced.

I was sighting it in and had to shoot 10x's the number of arrows I normally would and I'm sure that session was the one that did the shoulder in....it was never the same after that.

I've got a short draw and a 50 or 60 lb. bow just isn't gonna get me where I need to be to shoot an elk or mule deer at 70 yards.

I've also lifted weights since I was 16 so me pulling 70 or even 80 lbs normally isn't any big feat....I can pull 80 lbs from a seated position with not much effort.

but then again, it was more than likely all those years in my late teens and 20's trying to lift super heavy that did the shoulder in in the first place.

Comment

I got to the same point where my shoulders were such a wreck that I couldn’t pull my compound back anymore at 56 pounds but I could draw my recurve. I bought a xbow for this year but I fell and tore the rotator cuff completely off the bone. Had surgery to reattach it but haven’t been able to cock the xbow. It’s going to be a long time before I can try out the recurve.

Comment

My compound draw length is 26.5" and I once shot 83lbs. But last year I put rage heads completely through three pigs 185 to 205. With 60 pounds. I'm set up to shoot out to 55 yards, the max my yard allows. You can make yourself believe what you want to but unless you're hunting Cape Buffalo or elephant that is over kill.
                      But to each his own.

Comment

I’m in agreement with DRT. My Elite compound is set at 55#, and with the somewhat heavy arrows, only gets to right at 250fps. I killed a mature bison bull with that setup. There is not many (if any) critters in N America that a 60# compound won’t kill!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

For a whitetail you are absolutely right.

This bow was set up for my Argentina hunt where I may have to shoot a red deer or fallow at 70-90 yards. Also a great bow for mule deer or elk

Comment

Most of us don't have to worry about shooting red deer or fallow, so I guess that we are playing in a different league. You may not be doing that either, because your trad bow at less than 200 fps isn't the answer for long shots. Hey, it's all fun. Even with a rifle. I'll do whatever I have to do to hunt. Except a crossbow. I just can't do that.

Comment

I've shot both red deer and fallow but they were at a feeder less than 20 yards away.
                              Seriously I've got several trad bows. If I had different needs for compounds I'd own two, or three or whatever needed to meet those different needs.
                              As I approach 60 and the years of industrial maintenance, playing ball into my late 40s, and some really fun extra curricular stuff is proving to be rough on the frame work. That said I am no longer afraid to spend money on better tools, equipment, better clothing and what it takes to make my work and play more effective, fun and easier.
                              Last edited by DRT; 12-09-2021, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X