Striper fishing Granbury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Striper fishing Granbury

Ok, after 23 years of almost exclusive saltwater fishing, I'm totally out of my element. Have been out 3 times now on Granbury and have yet to catch a fish.

Saturday the wind was schedule to lay down finally so I took my daughter out around 8am. No birds working at all and no other boats trolling. Stayed out for a very cold 2 hours then took her in and got on my buddy's boat for another 3 hours. Fishfinder was showing fish all over the lake at depths from 24 to 38 feet. We used a down rigger as well as Davis Fish Seekers to troll at multiple depths, alternated speed and lure color to no avail. Not a single bite. Again, zero other boats trolling so what does everybody else know that I don't? I know people were out catching them just a couple of weeks ago.

Any good resources for learning this sport?

I have zero stripper fishing knowledge but if I was in salt water and was marking fish on troll with no knockdowns I’d drop a live bait on top of them.

Comment

For the most part trolling in winter for stripers is truly an art thus the reason you don’t see Striper fisherman trolling . Live bait always produces and easier to keep alive. Shad is best but Jumbo shiners will catch them also. You can also deadstick. Basically drop a fluke type bait on a 1/4 ounce jig down to the fish and just hold the rod still. The bite will be like a crappie bite most times. Winter time is thumping time. That will call the fish in and get them going. If I can find a topo map of grandbury I will tell you where I would start. I don’t know how many thousands of stripers/whites I’ve caught but I learned how to catch them

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
        Ok, after 23 years of almost exclusive saltwater fishing, I'm totally out of my element. Have been out 3 times now on Granbury and have yet to catch a fish.

Saturday the wind was schedule to lay down finally so I took my daughter out around 8am. No birds working at all and no other boats trolling. Stayed out for a very cold 2 hours then took her in and got on my buddy's boat for another 3 hours. Fishfinder was showing fish all over the lake at depths from 24 to 38 feet. We used a down rigger as well as Davis Fish Seekers to troll at multiple depths, alternated speed and lure color to no avail. Not a single bite. Again, zero other boats trolling so what does everybody else know that I don't? I know people were out catching them just a couple of weeks ago.

Any good resources for learning this sport?

They are more lethargic this time of year, either live bait or deadstick flukes.

Sean

Comment

If you are going to troll use umbrella rigs and try to maintain 1.5-2 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            If you are going to troll use umbrella rigs and try to maintain 1.5-2 mph.
            these work wonders on Whitney

Comment

Originally posted by mpotts View Post
              these work wonders on Whitney
              They work anywhere . Need a bigger reel to handle them though.

Comment

Interesting about the thumping. There was one old guy out doing that we saw several times. Lake was so still you could hear him for over a mile. Told my buddies how we use to do that for ling offshore and it worked.

Guess I'll look for a bait shop which likely means a good drive. Our marina doesn't sell anything but worms.

Comment

But a bait tank and learn to throw a cast net. Will pay for itself real quick

Comment

A lot of guys from Granbury used to go to proctor to catch bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Everything moves slower in the winter, including the smaller fish the stripers feed on.

Trolling speed and lure presentation must reflect that natural pattern.

If you're going to troll with downriggers, use suspending swim baits at idle speed only.
                      If you're still moving too fast, troll using your trolling motor.

The kayak guys always catch more fish that the motor guys on Calaveras because we're moving slower.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        A lot of guys from Granbury used to go to proctor to catch bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        That’s crazy. Enough bait closer if you’re willing to work for it

Comment

I agree, slow down in the winter. Trolling with downriggers has worked great for me on Tawakoni in the summertime.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                            Interesting about the thumping. There was one old guy out doing that we saw several times. Lake was so still you could hear him for over a mile. Told my buddies how we use to do that for ling offshore and it worked.

Guess I'll look for a bait shop which likely means a good drive. Our marina doesn't sell anything but worms.
                            Are you on the hood county fishing page on the face book?
                            Seems to be a helpful group and also some guys have been posting about where they catch shad on the lake

I need to get the boat out

Comment

Dead stick-n or live shad is what I'd be doing this time of year.

That is, unless you get into some moving water. They will feed in that moving water first thing in the morning. And at last light. Plus, there is always a chance of catching a good bluecat in there too. And I bet you know where I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X