Planting without Discing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planting without Discing???

I have heard you can plant oats and rye grass without discing or tilling the ground. Has anyone done this? How well did it work? When is the best time to do it?

I am going home this weekend. 4 hour drive. Should I do it or wait? My plan is to do it on a pipeline that is grown up in weeds. It will need to be mowed.

Can I mow this weekend and plant it next month?

Thanks for any advice.

I've broadcasted seed by hand over sandy soil with good results.
    If you can get the weeds cut down low, or get rid of them would be ideal.
    Depends on how thick they are.
    It helps to disturb the ground a little even with a rake.
    Getting the seed spread out just before a rain is key.
    Hard packed ground with weeds I have not tried.
    Last edited by Jimbo47; 09-02-2020, 06:25 AM.

Comment

I've tried the throw and mow method and it worked ok.

Comment

Chunk out your seed and fertilizer and mow it short and slow. Try to mulch the weeds as much as possible. Try to do this right before a rain. Use 50% more seed than in conventional tilling. Pray the hogs don’t find it. If they don’t, or you don’t have a hog problem, you should make a decent plot. Wheat grows on my tractor, in my truck bed, on my trailer, etc. so it should grow for you.

Comment

Works best to spray before hand. But yes, you can absolutely plant oats without discing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Should I fertilize at the same time I plant?

Comment

I’m a Landscape contractor and have planted tons of rye over the years in lawns and plenty a food plots.No need to till but cut weeds and native grass as low as you reasonably can. For food plots I figure 50 lbs of rye and 50 to 100 lbs of cheap fertilizer per half acre give or take a lil.for commercial lawns I wait to middle of October but for hunting spots I seed the week before bow opener.If you get enough moisture you can hear it grow in 2 or 3 weeks and have a good stand in a month or so

Comment

I drill oats directly almost like having a no till drill in places. I have a disked oat field, but on other places near stands and places I want deer to stop I drill it directly throught the grass. If we get rain, it comes up great.

Comment

If you could drag it some kind of way it would be better. You will have lots of fat doves if you just broadcast without covering the seeds.

Comment

So, i think the answer is mow it short and broadcast. It will work. Not as good as spraying, tilling and broadcasting but it will work.

Comment

.... it works ok

No soil was moved in this planting last fall. Broadcast right on top of thatch
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by EliteDriver View Post
                        So, i think the answer is mow it short and broadcast. It will work. Not as good as spraying, tilling and broadcasting but it will work.
                        I have about any piece of equipment made... I’ll never plow again in my plots. I do spray and it helps a lot

I’d spend my money on an atv sprayer over a disk any day.

Comment

Back when I had a Lawn business, customers that wanted green lawns during the Winter, I planted Rye or Winter Wheat, obviously without plowing

Comment

throw and mow oats.....easy peasy. no disc, no spray, no rolling, less time, same results

me mowing after I broadcasted

Oats coming up thru the thatch. This is about the time I fertilize.
                            Last edited by Palmetto; 09-02-2020, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I spray and then broadcast seed about a week or so later. I dont mow because I want the thatch to act as mulch n top of the seed. The key for me is to wait til the weather is right - forecast of 2-3 days of rainy weather. That keeps the seed from drying out before it sprouts. a 2' rain followed by a week of 90 degree heat wont do much for germination unless the seed is under the soil's surface. Wheat, oats, clover, radishes, turnips. I do it every fall in early October.

Comment

Working...
                              X