TRAPPING 2015 -2016 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BosqueTech View Post
    Dushon...how much catfood do you fill your trap up with?

Just to right above the trigger. Tried some sardines too hoping for skunks and oppossums. No luck with those yet, suspect the coons got to them too quick

Comment

So, do you place them all around your feeder legs? I have tried but only mange to get 1 at a time...thoughts? Thanks!

Comment

TRAPPING 2015 -2016 season

So, do you place them all around your feeder legs? I have tried but only mange to get 1 at a time...thoughts? Thanks!

My protein feeders generally draw more critters than the corn. So I run two per protein and one per corn. Try setting on the trail they're coming in on if you're only getting one at a time.
        Keep in mind this is also coming from about two dozen traps on 1500 acres.
        Last edited by Dushon; 11-24-2015, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Thank you sir for the advise. That's about what I am averaging. Just looking for some tips. Thanks again!

Comment

Thank you sir for the advise. That's about what I am averaging. Just looking for some tips. Thanks again!

No problem man. Just learnin as I go as well.

Comment

One more month

Comment

Looks like today is tune day, after supper we are headed to the shop. 8 dozen traps should only take a few hours, need to laminate all few...

Comment

We're probably not gonna do much this year, most of the guys we were doing predator control for are in the cattle business these days, probably set a few for taxidermy projects and to keep in practice.

Comment

Would love to get into this. Especially for cats. They are my favorite animal. Yotes second, just to keep their numbers as low as possible to aid in deer survival.

Also too, gives the boy and I something to do in the offseason when we have time out from baseball.

Just this past weekend we saw 3 cats (he shot at one but missed) and heard 4 different packs of dogs with AT LEAST 3-5 per pack. Only saw one cross a sendero.

Comment

This is interesting. So if you wanted to get into this how do you do it? I saw the post about the #4 Duke trap and looked it up. Does anyone use Snares on a fence line? What do you need to do to sell the fur? Any special way to prepare it or freeze the animal and take it whole? Any info would be nice.

Thanks

Comment

Before you spend way to much money on something you think you might want to try, do yourself a huge favor.

Make the drive west to weatherford and spend a day with me on the line. You will see sets made, animals harvested, sets remade, as well as what I takes to process a animal all the way up to its sale point...

Comment

Dale how are you making sets when the ground it pretty wet? At my place I have a choice rocky or clay. I have in the past used sand
                          any suggestions

Comment

When it's really wet I tend to use alot of the Cedar compost mixed with dry dirt..it still packs good and tight and I try and make sets in places that are semi sheltered or make a cubby.

Comment

Furbearer season opens here tomorrow. I won't get very serious about catching bobcats until January but I'll go after some coyotes. Probably won't keep any raccoons at all. If I can't get 10 dollars on the carcass they're not worth trapping. Only time will tell but there's probably not going to be a good market for them.

Comment

Questions;
                                What do you do with the coons once you shoot them? Do you skin them yourself? or do you pack them in the freezer until you have enough to skin all at the same time. Or does the buyer take them as is? I need to start trapping coons at my feeders and don't want to waste them if their worth anything. Also, is there a website where i can find a buyer around the San Antonio area. Thanks a lot! Chase

Comment

Working...
                                X