No announcement yet.

Elk development on protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's awesome. I would shoot him in velvet.

Comment

Getting cozy in the feeder pen

Comment

Awesome pics. You have quite the herd....heckuva bonus!

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            That's awesome. I would shoot him in velvet.
            I'm really tempted to but I don't want to lose any meat to spoilage and I've heard the Hill Country Elk start shedding velvet in July so I can't see any way to not lose meat getting an animal that big on ice will take a little bit. I'm going to hold off till first cold front. Probably late October

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
              I'm really tempted to but I don't want to lose any meat to spoilage and I've heard the Hill Country Elk start shedding velvet in July so I can't see any way to not lose meat getting an animal that big on ice will take a little bit. I'm going to hold off till first cold front. Probably late October

You're a patient man!

I'd take help and get him as soon as possible.

Comment

Id shoot him the day he sheds.

If elk are anything like white tail, once they shed their patterns will change pretty quick as hormones kick in. They'll likely ease off the protein at that point.

Comment

If you need another taken out I got your back lol

Comment

Anyone have advice for how to get something on ice fast enough to not loose meat in Texas summer?

Comment

Anyone have advice for how to get something on ice fast enough to not loose meat in Texas summer?
                      Have 10 peopletter and 5 ice chest ready and waiting

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
                        Have 10 peopletter and 5 ice chest ready and waiting
                        Yeah, don't see that happening.

Comment

We pack out meat here in August on our backs over a full day and don't experience meat loss. If I don't lose meat after 6+ hours in the summer heat, there is no way you should. Don't let it threaten your hunt as he will disappear once he starts rubbing out. Plus, a bull elk in velvet is a rare trophy many don't get to hunt. If it were me, I'd be slinging arrows.

I debone the meat and lay it out to cool in the shade, then strap it onto my pack and start the long hike out. Deboning is key as it allows for the biggest area for heat to disburse out.

If you mean to tell me you will have transportation close up to the down animal, ice readily available, more than just you by yourself to break it down, and don't have to pack it out on your back....you've got it made man!
                          Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 05-18-2015, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Depending on how far he runs I'll be able to drive up to him or within a couple hundred yards. Should have ice available and maybe another person to help get him cut up. What temperatures have you killed one in?

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                            We pack out meat here in August on our backs over a full day and don't experience meat loss. If I don't lose meat after 6+ hours in the summer heat, there is no way you should. Don't let it threaten your hunt as he will disappear once he starts rubbing out. Plus, a bull elk in velvet is a rare trophy many don't get to hunt. If it were me, I'd be slinging arrows.

I debone the meat and lay it out to cool in the shade, then strap it onto my pack and start the long hike out. Deboning is key as it allows for the biggest area for heat to disburse out.

If you mean to tell me you will have transportation close up to the down animal, ice readily available, more than just you by yourself to break it down, and don't have to pack it out on your back....you've got it made man!

Comment

Depending on how far he runs I'll be able to drive up to him or within a couple hundred yards. Should have ice available and maybe another person to help get him cut up. What temperatures have you killed one in?
                              95* has been the hottest (August), plus several trips packing out. No meat lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
                                95* has been the hottest (August), plus several trips packing out. No meat lost.
                                Ok, settled. He's getting his arrow prescription as soon a he is done growing still in velvet.

Comment

Working...
                                X