No announcement yet.

'Official' 2014 Trapping Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my delivery of 12 Duke DP's today. Looking forward to trying them out this weekend at the lease.

Comment

Good idea to start this

I have an order coming, not gonna get much caught before end of season but hopefully I get some experience and can hammer the varmints next year

Comment

Skunk solution= as far as you can get away, sneak up to it and pop him with a 22 scoped rifle

No way I go up to that thing alive

Comment

I'm no expert at all, trapped when I was a kid and just started back. I had a first this past weekend. Had a hole set that a coyote kept stepping around so I set two #3 four coil traps by the hole. Used some RP coyote gland scent on log and placed canine food lure from RP down in the hole. I just knew I would catch him now. Wrong I caught a jackrabbit, front foot in one trap rear in the other. Then to rub salt in my wounds the coyote showed up ate almost all the jackrabbit and cropped rt in the middle of my set. Caught several grays and 2 skunks over the last few days.

Comment

Now that is funny. I have a feeling you will catch him though and have the last laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by hlansford View Post
              I'm no expert at all, trapped when I was a kid and just started back. I had a first this past weekend. Had a hole set that a coyote kept stepping around so I set two #3 four coil traps by the hole. Used some RP coyote gland scent on log and placed canine food lure from RP down in the hole. I just knew I would catch him now. Wrong I caught a jackrabbit, front foot in one trap rear in the other. Then to rub salt in my wounds the coyote showed up ate almost all the jackrabbit and cropped rt in the middle of my set. Caught several grays and 2 skunks over the last few days.
              Maybe he will come back to the area because he got a free/easy meal there once already

Comment

We have about 20 snares sets off our net wire fence. We have to check them often (they find ways to push the snare aside and not get caught) - but are averaging about 1 coyote/week. Since September: 17 coyotes / 1 bobcat / 1 fox / 20 coons. Lots of fun...

Comment

Surprise waiting for me today

Comment

^^^^Looks like he is in a bind

Hope I can catch a few myself

Comment

I think we should have a trapping topic on here. I am a govt trapper and enjoy reading and learning what other people are using/doing. I have never tried the dp coon traps. I dont know if i could set them in the rocky hill county. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott View Post
                        I think we should have a trapping topic on here. I am a govt trapper and enjoy reading and learning what other people are using/doing. I have never tried the dp coon traps. I dont know if i could set them in the rocky hill county. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Who is your supervisor I knew a lot of those guys before I had to quit

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                          When I set my traps, the pan does not sit flat, even if I put the dog on a hair trigger. The pan points upwards at a slight angle. I have messed with the screw that attaches the pan, but still can't get it to get flush, I'm thinking this screw I am messing with has to do with the pan tension.

Do I take the pan off of the trap and bend it little by little so that it will be flush when I set the trap?
                          File a small notch on the end of the dog. When you set your trap, reach UNDER one jaw, put enough pressure on the pan that the latch clicks into this notch. Now the trap is really a " hair trigger " . You will hear and feel this click. Your pan should be level now. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                            Good idea to start this

I have an order coming, not gonna get much caught before end of season but hopefully I get some experience and can hammer the varmints next year
                            I am new to trapping and I was getting confused on seasons and regulations. I am just trying to trap raccoons at my feeder pens using the Duke DP traps. I guess it is classified as recreational. I am definitely not going to be selling or trading fur. I was under the impression at first that I could do this year around. Reading through the exceptions for footholds it gets kinda grey for me. Now I am second guessing. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                              I am new to trapping and I was getting confused on seasons and regulations. I am just trying to trap raccoons at my feeder pens using the Duke DP traps. I guess it is classified as recreational. I am definitely not going to be selling or trading fur. I was under the impression at first that I could do this year around. Reading through the exceptions for footholds it gets kinda grey for me. Now I am second guessing. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
                              Hmmm, I'd like to know this too.

Comment

I am no expert but I think if you are trapping nuisance animals (coons raiding feeders, coyotes and bobcats after deer/calves/lambs or beavers causing damage etc) you can do it year round.
                                I think you only need the trapping license if you are selling the furs.

One of the pros will let us know if I am wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X