No announcement yet.

What caliber for 700 yard rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you reload? Have friends who reload that would let you use equipment and help you work up a load?

If not, I’d wander down the ammo isle of a few local sporting good stores and see what ammo is available right now. One of those is what I would try to pick. During the good times, ammo is aplenty, but during current times like these you might find yourself with a paperweight.

Does you no good to buy a rifle in say 28 Nosler or one of the others, but not be able to find ammunition for it. For instance, a quick search on ammoseek provided one option for 28 nosler. 100 popped up for 300 win mag.

And let me edit and add that the one 28 Nosler option is $90 a box. The few 300prc that come up are $100+ a box(and most are Hornady ELD-M). 300win mag starts at $39 a box.
    Last edited by Chase4556; 01-22-2022, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Ok so I ended up going with a 7mm Remington mag. Little less drop over the 300 win mag. Also feel like it will be a little better gun for hunting here in Texas, as well as a good choice for my kids when they are teenagers out west. Going to try to get 162 grain ELD X to fly out of it.

Going to have Cerekote put on the barrel and action, as well as changing out the trigger spring.

Will go with a top of the line Leupold on top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Solid choice.

Comment

Looks like you made a solid choice

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
            I’ve done this song but in Kyrgyzstan. If you wanna give me a call I’ll give you everything I know.

I used a 270 WSM and my buddy used a 300 WinMag.

Scope is a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 w/BT
            I don’t believe I have seen that recap before.. very well done. Absolutely amazing recap and quite the adventure.
            Thanks for sharing.

Comment

You cant go wrong with that choice.

Comment

30-06

Comment

Excellent choice. Very capable cartridge.

My next rifle will be a 7mm. Wether I get my hands on my grandfathers old rem 700, or I buy new, it’s next on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    Surely that was not really fire forming??

Yes sir it was. Now it’s time to stuff it with 7 more grains of powder. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Got talked into a new trigger

Comment

I was going to recommend a 7mm or 300wm. I see that you already decide to go with a Tikka 7mm. Excellent choice, now from personal experience, my 7mm Tikka T3 loves the Nosler Accubonds. I also adjusted the trigger on all my Tikkas and didn't require to change the spring or change the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

Got talked into a new trigger

Find anywhere other than optics planet to shop man lol

Mountain Tactical makes a great trigger spring fyi.

Comment

I have no idea how tough they are but I'd say 6.5x284.

Comment

You're on the right track. What is the barrel twist on the Tikka? You might have to go down to a 140 gr bullet. I'd also suggest practice shooting with a glove on, you never know what situation might arise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                Yes sir it was. Now it’s time to stuff it with 7 more grains of powder. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                What powder are you using? Reloader 26?

Comment

Working...
                                X