Trad Heresy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad Heresy

Had a great hunt last week. Fantastic! Relaxed. Enjoyed the outdoors. It's all good. But my shooting was terrible.

The body count:
    - Axis doe at 12 yards I hit high and back. Bad shot. Luck to have her.
    -Pig at <15 yards hit high in the back. It ran off iwth my arrow.
    - 8pt buck at 9 yards, hit low in the brisket. Got hair and meat on the BH
    but no blood. He ran off with most of my arrow.

Shooting instinctive and was not consistent.

I'm going to play with Fixed Crawl and see if it works with my bows. I'm not buying more bows just to change tiller.

Now the HERESY part: Who on the green screen shoots Trad with a sight?

I don't think anyone will admit it publicly but there are folks who do.
    If it makes you deadly . . .

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

If you can't get a good tune with a fixed crawl, you can try gap shooting instead. I'm betting that your arrow tip is probably lower than you'd like for gap shooting though, since you're talking about using a fixed crawl. If that's the case, you could try gapping off your riser. That just means you pick an easily recognizable point on your riser to set your elevation aim. If it's just for hunting, you can even put a thin strip of white electrical tape across the back of the riser.

I'm lucky, because the bottom edge of my upper limb butt happens to be the perfect elevation for twenty yards. I just use the arrow to determine left/right alignment, then use my mark on the riser to judge elevation. Additionally, the top of my side plate is dead on at 40 yards. But that wasn't intentional. You can look into using your side plate as a reference as well. Pretty sure for 3D, the side plate isn't allowed to be more than an inch above the shelf.

Comment

If I could figure out how to make a sight work, I’d hunt with one with no problem!!!!! I’ve actually played with it a bit in the past, and I just can’t get it to work right. I have no problem using a sight on a wheel bow, but I don’t can’t those either.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have mapped the wood grains and riser curvatures on various risers for elevation.

Consider mapping your riser and marking with high visibility tape. I often shoot with a taped riser. Changing anchor or form or arrow construction will change range marks. I find it easier to acquire desired elevation when hunting especially when in a dark blind.

Ive also used high viz tape with a trimmed tag end for elevation and windage. Its really annoying when I trim too far and have to reapply a new strip and start over adjusting windage.

Ive been devising and comsidering mounting the pile side of velcro on my hunting bow riser and fastening fiber optic strands to a hook strip to help achieve windage/elevation faster and more consistenetly. The goal is to be more accurate to have a removeable sights for when I ever get back to shooting 3D shoots.

Personally I dont like anymore than one riser tape mark which preferably corresponds with 15 yards.

Good luck Mr51.
          Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-20-2022, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Many people including myself used them in in the 60’s and 70’s. Most were single pins. I’m pretty sure you can still find them at 3Rivers. They had a separate class when shooting in a NFAA tournament. I even had one that worked as a pretty good range finder . It had four rings that would supposedly correspond with the average size of a whitetail breast area. There’s a few things that the people who coined the term traditional archery don’t know that they were common when it was just archery. Stabilizers where also common on hunting recurves. Single pin works pretty good. Makes what they now call gapping much easier. Sights were commonly taped on or screwed on with two wood screws. If anyone gives you grief just tell them you do you and I’ll do me. Can’t use a clicker in TBOT shoots but your traditional bow can have woven carbon limbs. Strange interpretation of what is traditional now.
            Last edited by chuckc.; 01-20-2022, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X