Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever raised worms on a large scale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a small worm bed when I was a kid, that our neighbors gave me. They told me to soak cow manure for a couple days in water, then drain the water and mix in with their dirt. Also told me to give them coffee grounds, filter included. Then line the top of it with newspaper. We also gave them all kinds of green vegetables, especially lettuce. Gotta watch out for fire ants, they'll kill em all. That's what happened to mine.

Comment

I guess you could throw any vegetable matter in there to feed them

Comment

a few threads on this subject already:

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ight=worm+farm

Keep us updated if you move forward, I think it would be really neat, personally.

Comment

Father in law formerly had a barn with a couple of thousand rabbits that he sold for meat to the military. He had worm beds underneath the rabbit cages, never fed them, and a guy would come out every once in a while and dig the worms for his bait shop.

Comment

No joke I started one yesterday. But on a much much smaller scale. Got tired of having to run to academy everytime I needed worms. (which is a lot).

Comment

I knew a guy named Lloyd that had a big worm farm, he actually did it in his living room.. Kinda weird.

Comment

As soon as deer season is over I’m going to set one of the beds up and give it a go. Any special species of worm better than the other?

Comment

My grandparents way back in the day had 4 box beds they used for worms. They had 3 with red worms and one with earth worms. People came by to buy worms from them almost everyday it seemed.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                    As soon as deer season is over I’m going to set one of the beds up and give it a go. Any special species of worm better than the other?
                    Red Wigglers from what I gathered for this area. I usually purchase from Uncle Jims worm farm. I buy the 300pk and they send them in a burlap sack. Never had any issues

Comment

Originally posted by nativeaustin View Post
                      My grandfather had worm beds. He would have us count worms and put them in the container and we would deliver to marinas and convenient stores. He had a yellow powder he would feed them. I'm not sure what that was though. He bought worms in Lampasas to put in his beds.
                      Cornmeal

Uncle Jim has a few videos to help those that are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                        Red Wigglers from what I gathered for this area. I usually purchase from Uncle Jims worm farm. I buy the 300pk and they send them in a burlap sack. Never had any issues
                        That’s who I was looking at for purchasing. I guessing buy a bigger pack of worms for the footage I have. How fast do the take hold and reproduce?

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                          I’ve wanted to try this but never have
                          Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                          Always wondered if that really worked. seen it on youtube but never tried it
                          I can't tell you how amazing it was. That wad my son is holding were all very long, very thick night crawlers. The dirt just came to life. I've never seen anything like it!

Comment

I can't tell you how many sticks I rubbed together and never got one worm. I think the older neighbor kids are still laughing.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              No joke I started one yesterday. But on a much much smaller scale. Got tired of having to run to academy everytime I needed worms. (which is a lot).

We started ours Friday, ordered 500 from uncle Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My Granddad in Mississippi always had a couple of old Coca Cola machines gutted and filled with dirt and manure. Red worms for big spring time Blue Gills.

Comment

Working...
                                X