• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bitter ending to the season

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
    Perception is Reality.
    No! Reality is reality!!!!

You might be one of the perfect ones whose only missed two and lost one critter in 47yrs of bowhunting, but most everyone else dosen’t have that great a track record! Crap happens. Sometimes it’s the hunters fault and it is his duty to work and learn from those mistakes to try to minimize them in the future. Sometimes it’s not the hunter’s fault, and all you can do in those cases is move on and keep trying to improve and keep doing the right things.

Everybody is different and everybody processes and learns different. I’m not here to lay any blame on the OP. He already feels like crud be if the way this season went down for him. I will try to encourage him to keep learning and improving, and wish him luck going into the new year!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I wish the OP well too. I was just offering advice and got lost in the weeds.

Comment

Well, keep this in mind: it is the hunters duty and responsibility to efffectively and quickly kill his deer and not just recover the head. Anything else is excuses. Just imagine how that part of your story sounds to a non hunter. With the reported crippling and non recovery of deer on this site alone, would make an antihunter target archery first. Perception is Reality.
        I don't have to think about it. As a land owner there and friends with a farming family there I've been through 4 decades of deer hunting changes there. Seeing blue tongue devastate the herd multiple times and just when it's making a rebound that type of thing does nothing but make me sick. Especially the difference in attitude between those guys and the OP.
        The fact he (the OP) feels sick about it, the fact he's reaching out about it, shows me he is in a spot where he needs good advice, not a kick in the nuts. Responses like yours while well intentioned, do not encourage those who need help to reach out. Most won't to avoid ridicule if that is what they expect.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
        Last edited by DRT; 01-01-2022, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Man, this sounds like a bad case of not practicing enough. I mean 4 or 5 shots of missing/crippling deer in just one season, wow. I haven't missed/crippled that many in 47 years. I know this sounds mean and all, but we need to make better select shots after tons of practice. The deer deserve that respect.
          I’ve been deer hunting for 26 years. I’ve shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 150-175 big game animals not counting hogs, killed Elk, Mule Deer, pronghorn along with most common exotics and some African game. I’ve killed 22 animals with a compound bow. I have one of the largest archery killed Japanese Sika ever recorded. I’m not new to hunting and what it takes to make successful shots.

I shoot just about every day. Matter of fact I shot about 12 arrows right before I went out and felt very confident in my ability. It was simply a bad hit. Some of the best trad hunters I’ve met have missed dozens and dozens of times. Fred Bear missed quite often. If you have a better kill percentage with traditional gear then you are just the 1% of the 1%.

Bisch and DRT…..

Agree wholeheartedly about shortening the range. I let two really good bucks walk this year at 18 yards because I didn’t feel comfortable with the shot. I had corn out at 10 yards but it was being scooped up by immature deer and I got the feeling this deer didn’t want anything that wasn’t under the feeder. Everything felt good, I was confident in the scenario and the distance, I just shanked it a little bit. I’m not 100% convinced he isn’t laying dead right now just with no blood or any tracks I have no way of knowing where he went after he left my line of sight. I figure the arrow got about 12” of penetration give or take.

Y’all have helped me so much this year and I appreciate every single bit of info and advice thrown my way. This has definitely been a season of learning and a very humbling one to boot!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Passage View Post

Any water nearby the stand/feeder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes there is and I'm going there to look tomorrow.

Maybe i can pick up the scent of a dead animal and my nose will lead me to him

Comment

Same thing happened to me. Here is my thread:

It is a hard pill to swallow but its part of it. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedAg08 View Post
                Same thing happened to me. Here is my thread:

It is a hard pill to swallow but its part of it. Good luck!
                Very similar story.

I was shocked at the no blood part. Seems like we got similar penetration and I would assume enough to kill him

Comment

Go look again tomorrow like said above. Good luck!

Comment

I wish the OP well too. I was just offering advice and got lost in the weeds.
                    No, you were being a **** to someone you don't even know. Try being supportive or go somewhere else.
                    OP, good luck tomorrow, hope you find him. I have been there and share your feelings.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

Man, this sounds like a bad case of not practicing enough. I mean 4 or 5 shots of missing/crippling deer in just one season, wow. I haven't missed/crippled that many in 47 years. I know this sounds mean and all, but we need to make better select shots after tons of practice. The deer deserve that respect.

Sir, I find your response demeaning, disrespectful, and far from representative of the bon homme and camaraderie for which this forum is known.

By your own account, your archery skills are outstanding and, for that, you should be commended. Sadly, though, your arrogance has overshadowed any admiration that your skill as an archer and hunter might have garnered you; rather, it has yielded nothing but antipathy toward you instead. I’m sure this was not your intention.

And if I were to guess, I’d say there are probably one or two things on which you, also, fall short of the mark. I’d like to suggest that “tact and diplomacy” might be one of them.

Glass houses, my friend…

Comment

Bitter ending to the season

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                        I was shocked at the no blood part.

I shot this deer this past week. You can see where I hit the deer in the pic. When I shot, I thought I had hit her waaaaay too high, like over the backbone high! But the arrow zipped thru her like a hot knife thru butter and ended up 20yds behind where she had been shot at. I was disgusted with myself. But the easy passthru had me second guessing what had happened. It took me an hour to find her just 75yds from point of impact. There was not one drop of blood between point of impact and where she laid when I found her. I did hit her a little high, certainly higher that I was aiming, but it was not near as high as I thought and after seeing her, it baffles me that there was zero blood trail. The broadhead used was a 1.5”wide German Kinetic XL 2-blade head. I’ve learned over the years that there is no rhyme or reason as to when the blood trails will be great and when they will be horrible. Obviously, a low hit thru the good stuff usually results in good blood on the ground, but I’ve seen a few of those leave very scant trails also.

All a guy can do when he gets hit with a crappy blood trail is look everywhere and hope he gets a little luck. If a tracking dog can be used, that can be a really valuable resource too.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                          Sir, I find your response demeaning, disrespectful, and far from representative of the bon homme and camaraderie for which this forum is known.

By your own account, your archery skills are outstanding and, for that, you should be commended. Sadly, though, your arrogance has overshadowed any admiration that your skill as an archer and hunter might have garnered you; rather, it has yielded nothing but antipathy toward you instead. I’m sure this was not your intention.

And if I were to guess, I’d say there are probably one or two things on which you, also, fall short of the mark. I’d like to suggest that “tact and diplomacy” might be one of them.

Glass houses, my friend…

That’s takin the long way around about it, my momma would just say…”bless your heart”.[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

I shot this deer this past week. You can see where I hit the deer in the pic. When I shot, I thought I had hit her waaaaay too high, like over the backbone high! But the arrow zipped thru her like a hot knife thru butter and ended up 20yds behind where she had been shot at. I was disgusted with myself. But the easy passthru had me second guessing what had happened. It took me an hour to find her just 75yds from point of impact. There was not one drop of blood between point of impact and where she laid when I found her. I did hit her a little high, certainly higher that I was aiming, but it was not near as high as I thought and after seeing her, it baffles me that there was zero blood trail. The broadhead used was a 1.5”wide German Kinetic XL 2-blade head. I’ve learned over the years that there is no rhyme or reason as to when the blood trails will be great and when they will be horrible. Obviously, a low hit thru the good stuff usually results in good blood on the ground, but I’ve seen a few of those leave very scant trails also.

All a guy can do when he gets hit with a crappy blood trail is look everywhere and hope he gets a little luck. If a tracking dog can be used, that can be a really valuable resource too.

Bisch

Experience is knowledge. Thanks, Bisch.

Comment

If we lose our humility, how are we supposed to be honoring the game animal we kill?
                              My last hunting trip saw me miss two broadside shots at 12 yards each. One doe rolled, the other one ducked and my fir shafts went sailing over their backs.
                              I got a solid hit on a medium-size pig, but it took off with half of my arrow in its side, never to be found.
                              We can only control our end of the equation and pray everything else lines up for an ethical kill.

Comment

That wasn't exactly a spectacular trip for me and the pigs either Chris.[emoji47]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X