Hybrid Crappie ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hybrid Crappie ?

I’ve got a 1/3-1/2 acre pond on my place. Pretty deep closer to the dam area probably 12-15’
    It’s not spring fed
    I have channel cats in it & I believe some young white crappie
    Thought about putting some hybrids in it
    Any concerns with low water levels during dry & hot summers? Just bought the place this past spring and we had a higher than norm wet summer. I recall twice it rained 2” once in July & once in August. It never really got hot for days either so it maintained a higher than typical level I would imagine compared to some rough summers
    Just curious if I should be concerned with low water level & how well they do
    Thanks

Call a fish place. Most don’t recommend stocking crappie because they take over but I can’t imagine a better fish to have in a pond if you keep em under control. MS supposedly is growing hybrids approaching 5lbs! Can get to 3 pounds in 3-4 years I think!!

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
      Call a fish place. Most don’t recommend stocking crappie because they take over but I can’t imagine a better fish to have in a pond if you keep em under control. MS supposedly is growing hybrids approaching 5lbs! Can get to 3 pounds in 3-4 years I think!!
      Ok thanks
      Yes I like me some slabs & reaching that potential is very tempting

Comment

Listen to the crappie connection podcast episode with the biologist from MS. He goes into it some. Awesome potential from those fish!!

Comment

Depending on the pond size put out as much cover(trees) as you want, the brush will help keep the water cool and also give the young fish protection. You could also use PVC enclosures.

Comment

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
            Depending on the pond size put out as much cover(trees) as you want, the brush will help keep the water cool and also give the young fish protection. You could also use PVC enclosures.
            Round up some Christmas trees and follow this advice.

Comment

If you can add aeration that would help tremendously

Comment

I heard Crappie don't do well in small ponds...hay its what I heard,not sure of

Comment

I would be concerned with overpopulation. Most fish biologist do not recommend stocking crappie in waters less than 10 acres

Comment

Working...
                  X