No announcement yet.

Heebie-Jeebies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a covey of quail and a few pheasants get up practically under my feet in the dark. That will get your attention pretty quick. If you're tired when that happens you won't be afterwards. That time quail blew up around me I had that flashlight pointing every which way but loose. I'm pretty sure my heart was in my throat for a second.

Comment

Abig cat stalking you will do that.

Also a face to face encounter with a momma moose and calf will make you pee a little.

After that I had no fear of black bear. True story.

Lots of hours/days in the wilderness, never saw sasquatch nor aliens.

Moose cows scare me for sure.

Comment

Anybody that has spent any amount of time in the outdoors, especially in the dark, has had a case of the heebie jeebies, at some point. They're lying if they say they haven't.

Comment

Bow hunting in far west Texas, I walked up on hog in the pitch dark while walking to my spot. Hog starts chomping his teeth at me. I took off running. 12 or so years ago and I'm still yanking cactus thorns out of my shins!

Comment

I used to not want to walk in the dark when I was younger, to the point that I would wait for sunrise to get in the stand. Now that I have kids I don’t scare to easy in the dark. I don’t know if it’s the father instinct knowing I have to protect them or just knowing I’m faster then them [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
              Grew up hunting the mountains of WV as a kid, I always hated jumping grouse on the walks in.
              The STX equivalent is flushing a covey of quail. That'll sure spike your HR on the walk in.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                You just got to have the mentality that everything else in the woods better have the heebie-jeebies when you step out of your truck
                Haha

Grew up in the country. The only thing that scares me in the woods are obviously sick raccoons and skunks out in the daylight. Reminds me of “Old Yeller ”.
                Last edited by Big pig; 12-13-2021, 06:56 AM.

Comment

I came around a cedar on my way to the stand one morning and found myself face to face with a 1800# Hereford bull. I had no cows on my place, luckily it was very gentle and didn't stomp me into the dirt

I had a boar hog that slept about 30yds from my stand, he would always growl and make all kinds of intimidating noises right as I started to climb. I would make 3-4 quick steps/rungs just to make sure he didn't get a foot
                  Never showed in the daylight where I could get even

2 coons fighting is one of the things I have heard that if I had not known what it was I would have called someone to drive a 4wheeler to the base of the tree to get me.

Comment

This thread has the makings of greatness

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
                      Bow hunting in far west Texas, I walked up on hog in the pitch dark while walking to my spot. Hog starts chomping his teeth at me. I took off running. 12 or so years ago and I'm still yanking cactus thorns out of my shins!
                      I did something similar once. I prefer to walk in without a flashlight in the morning if possible. Had to walk right by one feeder to get to my stand. I'm holding one of those flashlights in my hand that twists on just in case I need it and as soon as I walk by the feeder I hear a grunt. I twist the light on and off for a split second and I'm standing right next to three good sized hogs. I left the light off and slowly walked on. They never left the feeder all morning. Could hear them fighting the whole hunt.

I read a ghost hunting book the night before hunting our old lease. Place was always pitch black and I was seeing stuff running all around me until daylight.

Comment

A guy on our lease is scared of the dark I think because he leaves his stand just when hunting gets good every time and has to drive by mine.

Comment

I'm just the opposite, I love the dark
                          I learned to feel comfortable in the dark in the Army many years ago. A LRRP NCO told me the Dark is my friend. If something is out there I will feel it

Comment

when i was about 10 my uncle took me and my cousin to a deer lease with some friends of his for a weekend. i remember him and his buddies telling us about the boggy creek monster so i am thinking we were somewhere around lumberton or somewhere close enough to boggy creek where they could show us a sign or something to show how close we were to it. then they told us about the movie and told us the story.

the first night they all decide to go bobcat hunting. holy, S.

its pitch black, there were 3 adults and us two kids. they all sat on the ground against different trees, my cousin and i were flanking my uncle, with a tape recorder of the most God awful screeching and whining baby something being eaten by angry something out in front of us.

we sat there for what seemed like hours listening to this recording and never saw a bobcat, or the boggy creek monster luckily.

that was absolutely the most scared i ever remember being in my life, my uncle laughs and says he couldnt even bend his legs because my cousin and i were holding on so tight.

Comment

i hunt about 6-7 miles from border... you should try pulling into camp about 11 PM and realizing your the only one there...
                              or driving to your stand at 6AM and seeing footprints on your senderos.

...heebie jeebies.

Comment

Originally posted by topwater blowup View Post
                                wait until you walk along an old Indian ceremony ground or burial ground if you go poking around long enough they will let you know!!!
                                We've got two of those on our ranch. One is the original owner out of Statehood and his family, the other is about 30 Smallpox Indian Children. We just stay away from them. Someone had the bright idea to clear all the dense thorns and brush growing around the area. They quickly figured out that everything around that area is to be left alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X