Question about rental house/final bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fight it.

I have had the same BS before a couple of times. First time, I walked in t the management office, told them the items I thought were BS and/or overcharged and told them what I was willing to pay for those items that were legit. That worked.

Second time I typed up a letter and a lawyer buddy put it over his letterhead and we mailed it. I got a second letter with a reasonable amount in it a few weeks later.
    Last edited by El General; 09-28-2021, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Batteries, filters and drip pans should be the landlords responsibility.
      I would ask for a detailed pricing list and I would fight those charges plus the hauling stuff off fee if they left nothing behind.
      Cleaning carpet, filling nail holes, repainting and fixing the damages should be legit charges.
      Read over your contract and see what it says about what they (landlord) expected at move out.
      I charged my ex renter $250 to mow the lawn because it was an acre lot and in our contract it stated he was to keep the yard maintained and he failed to do so.
      He also left tons of trash (took three truck loads to haul it off) I charged him $300 for disposal of picking up and hauling off the piles of trash he left outside and all over my yard, plus $20 to haul off 2 tires he left.
      If you have pictures of move in and move out they can help you fight the charges.
      All tenants will have a final Utility and Water bill unless those charges are normally included in the rent, since the Utility and Water companies bill a month behind.
      * Just saw where the utility bills were in their names. Fight these charges with the maintenance company and your boys may also get a deposit back from the utility/water company
      Last edited by HoneyBee; 09-28-2021, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Yep...after finally being done with rentals for the daughter(college), I think from now on...depending on the deposit, when the contract is up I'll just pack up and leave. Tried to do everything right to get deposit back and still a pain is the arz. Hope we don't have to mess with that zchittshow again...

Comment

I have a rent home and manage it myself. Other than damage and a minor cleaning fee the tenant would get most of their deposit back. This seams way high to me. I would want to see that itemized better and understand that water bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use to tried and do the right thing and most of the time got screwed, That's when I came up with this.
            Rule of Thumb: Don't pay the last months rent and leave the place a mess.

Yea their screwing you.
            Last edited by Bassdeer; 09-28-2021, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
              I use to tried and do the right thing and most of the time got screwed, That's when I came up with this.

Class act

Comment

Sounds normal, you don't hardly ever get any deposit back.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post

Yea their screwing you.
                  Is your name Tyler? You sound like my last renter.

Comment

After years in apartments and rent houses I'm convinced it's just as hard to find good landlords as it is good renters. I'd dispute it.

Comment

I always provide my tenants with a “move out” checklist and costs associated with anything that’s isn’t complete. Did they give any move out instructions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks everyone. I sent an email to the management company to request documentation and itemization for things, a copy of the whopping final water bill, and pictures of what they consider "extensive damage" and I also noted that per our videos taken after moving out we don't see anything that should qualify. Kiddo mowed the lawn 5 days prior to move out so aside from some edging/weed eating I'm inclined to believe they waited 3 weeks to have it mowed right before sending out this notice. It also states to pay the balance 30 days from Aug 31st or they'll turn it over to a collection agency, however they sent the notice/bill on Sept 28th via email. Because of this I'm thinking this agency is likely used to using strong arm tactics and we're not likely to make any progress disputing directly with them. I guess we'll see. Their mom wants to just pay the balance for them and be done, but these kids don't have a ton of money so I'd like to go the other way and maybe get some of their deposit back. They definitely owe for carpet cleaning (it was in the lease agreement), screen door, and blind slats, probably misc paint and nail holes though I don't think they hung anything on the walls honestly.

Comment

Dam! as a landlord, I've been missin out on a lot of "unearned income"!

Comment

First thing, it's your kids problem to deal with, why are you managing it?

Second, what does the contract they signed say? Those items seem like normal wear and tear. What does the contract say about wear and tear? Is the contract silent on what will and won't be replaced, and who is responsible for each?

I've never moved out of a place that didn't look better than the day I walked in exactly because of the issues you are dealing with. If your kid damaged stuff, then just left it damaged even though your kid knew it was broke, and then failed to move out on a day where the management company is there, it sounds like a hard lesson learned for him...Your kid left the door open for the management company to claim whatever they wanted. I learned the same lesson in college. It sucks, and took my first two weeks of work pay to pay off.

I would advise your kid, that if it's allowed by contract, he should request an itemized bill from each contractor that came in to do the work, or timesheets of employees, and actual costs incurred, including pay stubs to confirm employees were actually paid, and to confirm the number they came up with was not just an estimate. Otherwise let it go to collections. Again, all of this may not be allowed per the contract he signed.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                              First thing, it's your kids problem to deal with, why are you managing it?
                              That's a reasonable question. They just want to pay it and I'd like to teach them a bit more about standing up for themselves and being a bit more frugal with money.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                                That's a reasonable question. They just want to pay it and I'd like to teach them a bit more about standing up for themselves and being a bit more frugal with money.
                                They're fishing. Just hoping one of two things. They pay it or they see all the extra money added up that they owe and don't fight at all to get the deposit money back.

It's BS - Have them fight it based on principle alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X