Cost for a will?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost for a will?

There is a lot going on right now and I think it is time to have a will drawn up. Do I just pick out a lawyer or what? Cost?

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
    There is a lot going on right now and I think it is time to have a will drawn up. Do I just pick out a lawyer or what? Cost?
    I'd pick one that does some estate planning regularly if you have a lot going on. Not obviously for tax avoidance purposes but understands trusts and such.

For it done well, I'd expect $1000 or so.

Now if it's pretty simple and not a complicated financial/property situation, it won't be that much.

I did one online for a relative and showed my attorney, he updated and changed a few things but said it was good.

Mine took a bit longer, but we have three companies, three kids, and a bunch of real estate.

Comment

Sherman isn't too far. I got one of those fancy bar cards and estate planning comprises a very large part of my practice.

Comment

We just had ours done for $850.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
          I'd pick one that does some estate planning regularly if you have a lot going on. Not obviously for tax avoidance purposes but understands trusts and such.

For it done well, I'd expect $1000 or so.

Now if it's pretty simple and not a complicated financial/property situation, it won't be that much.

I did one online for a relative and showed my attorney, he updated and changed a few things but said it was good.

Mine took a bit longer, but we have three companies, three kids, and a bunch of real estate.
          Mine won't be that complicated. Just the house, vehicles and a couple of other things. It's just for my wife and 1 son.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
            Sherman isn't too far. I got one of those fancy bar cards and estate planning comprises a very large part of my practice.
            PM sent.

Comment

If you are a Veteran, just contact your local base. FREE

Comment

Everybody needs a will. People die even when there ain’t “a lot going on”.[emoji6][emoji23][emoji23]

Call Grayson. He does good work!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I saw one advertised by Dave Ramsey online. Anyone have experience with this?? Think it was advertised for $129

Comment

After the debacle with my dad's will, I found out how not to do it.

Grayson, PM me your number and I will call when I get the chance. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzaleziam View Post
                      I saw one advertised by Dave Ramsey online. Anyone have experience with this?? Think it was advertised for $129

Comment

I spent 850ish, and that was with a friend discount. It's solid... He is a good lawyer and so are both his parents. Happy to give you their info for a recommendation. They urge you to have someone who knows the judges as it makes life easier. They also set ours up so that if we had kids layer in life, we wouldn't have to change the will, so no amendment fees...

Comment

So, the free On-Line ones are not Legal?
                          and are not good enough??
                          me and one of the MTM guys here at work (the BEST RAYTHEONS ) was just talking about this.
                          I was told I could go on-line a make it out take it to a Notary and its a legal binding Doc.
                          so, not true?
                          sorry OP, not trying to high jack, just curious

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
                            So, the free On-Line ones are not Legal?
                            and are not good enough??
                            me and one of the MTM guys here at work (the BEST RAYTHEONS ) was just talking about this.
                            I was told I could go on-line a make it out take it to a Notary and its a legal binding Doc.
                            so, not true?
                            sorry OP, not trying to high jack, just curious
                            As a lawyer who has drafted and probated many wills, the answer to your question is "maybe".
                            Like a parachute, you don't find out if the person who prepared it did a good job until it's too late to do it over.
                            If you D-I-Y, with or without an internet kit, you MIGHT do it right or you might not.

One of the saddest cases I've ever handled was when a widow found out she did not own her home because her cheapskate husband used a will kit and screwed it up. We could not get the will admitted to probate, so the house went to her step-children who had never set foot in it.

Most people execute a will for three reasons:
                            1. so their family won't be put to a lot of unnecessary trouble and expense;
                            2. so they can decide who gets their stuff; and
                            3. for piece of mind.
                            A D-I-Y will might or might not work for 1 and 2, but probably fails for 3.

My suggestion is to find a good lawyer, establish a relationship, and read the draft will very carefully before you sign it to make sure you understand it and that it does what you want. Then relax.

Comment

I used a simple will I think found it through AARP. structured for Texas. Free. Simple. Hope it is ok? 2 witnesses and Notarized all signatures. Mine is very basic. And in Texas it becomes the wife's or husbands auto mode unless certain provisions were previously set up (so I hear). And it is good to give him or her Power of Attorney on top of the will. This may all be ok if it is very simple as ours is. If I wanted anything in it unusual specifics, I would pay an attorney promptly. I am zero expert but sharing what I did and feel ok. And be sure to elect an executor with a backup also. Mine is it is all hers. If we both go, 2 daughters share.

Comment

Working...
                              X