Have you Ever had One of Those Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you Ever had One of Those Days

When you think to yourself, "why did I sell my bows?" Well, it happened to me, again, this morning. Woke up to the coolness of the morning, wishing I were sitting in a stand out at the lease.

I've been bowhunting since 1974, after finding a Browning recurve on sale at the local store. Little did I know, at the time, that it would stir something deep inside of me that would last a lifetime. As usual, I didn't know much about archery in those days, just thought I should buy the highest poundage bow and go to the woods, as I was already "an accomplished hunter," a the ripe old age of 14. I missed my fair share of deer with that bow, basically I was trying to draw and hold 60-pounds, but it just wasn't working to well. Later, I graduated to my first Whitetail compound bow, and it just continued to grow from there for the next 35-years.

A couple of years ago I was getting somewhat bored with the "wheels and cables" and decided I would try something else, like a recurve crossbow. I know, not really the same thing, but it was something new to me and I was going to give it a try. Well, even that got boring as of last year and I've since sold my crossbows, and of course, long before that, I had sold my compound bows. Now, here it comes, what do I want to do next.....

Well, I have decided that I want to go back to the simpler things in life and I am looking at going back to traditional equipment. For the past two weeks I've been lurking this section of TBH, reading what I can, trying to make the decision on what I want to do, and getting ready to pull the trigger, or better yet, release....I many are going to say "its too late to get into traditional this year, best wait until next year to hunt," and I truly expect this to happen. But, after a morning hunt with the rifle, I can always go back into camp and have something to do for a little bit. The last deer I took several years ago with a recurve was a small doe that came into the stand, and I was able to shoot her with my Hoyt Buffalo, and that was without much practice with the recurve.

Now, here comes the real question. What should I buy, brand, style, etc...Both my wife and I are self-employed nowadays, and I don't have that government check coming in like I use to, and she doesn't have that corporate check. I've thought about selling or trading a rifle for something, but it appears that AR-10's are doing as well as expected. I traded a rifle a couple of weeks ago for a higher end AR-10, but I am sure it's just going to sit in the closet and I will use my AR15 6.5Grendel.

Decisions, decisions.....I am ready to really get back out, up close with some big pigs at my lease and stick an arrow into them

Thanks for listening. Open to suggestions, comments, bring it on

I should note that I worked on and off for several years at an archery shop, and "know the basics." I have sold several Samick Sage bows over the years, and although a sought after beginner's bow, I am not interested in making this purchase.
    Last edited by DFWPI; 10-10-2018, 02:38 PM.

Everytime I think about selling my Damon Howatt Super Diablo. Best shooting recurve I ever picked up. Since my shoulder got well I miss it dearly.

Comment

I've got a good bow for you. Been going to sell it but just started to try. I' m getting ready to get in my blind. Text me your number to 361-522-6270 and I will call and tell u about it later. E.T. Williams Seminle "Carbon snake". It is a great shooting bow.

Comment

I really like a Samick sage or journey. I’ve owned about a 100 bows from time to time and I still take the Samick out. I can beat the hell out of it and now worrry about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are lots of quality bowyers right here in Texas! Sarrels Archery, Bob Lee, Primal Tech, Wagstaff Archery, Dry Creek Bows, Dryad Bows, Navajo Bows, and I’m sure there are a few more I’m missing!!!!

We can’t really tell you what you will like. All we can suggest is what we like best (for me it’s Sarrels Archery and Primal Tech). Recurve, longbow, and brand are all a personal preference thing that each person has to figure out for himself.

I’m pretty sure you can’t hardly go wrong with any of the above mentioned bowyers, but out of them all, there would be one or two that you will prefer over all the others!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If money is a little tight I would find a Wing Thunderbird. They are a lot of bow for what they typically sell for.($200) I am a recurve guy, but I do have a Sarrels Blueridge S/R and an older Howatt Savannah on the rack just in case I want to shoot a longbow. Both of them shoot really good and are probably $350-$400 on the used market. I'm not sure what Bob sells a new bow for, but I expect it will be in the $800 and up range. If you are handy, you can buy a Sage and change the profile of it with just a little work. I have four of them here. My favorite has fifty pound limbs and a skinny string and will keep up with just about anything built. I have bows that I paid well over a thousand dollars for, but I still find time to shoot the Sages.

Comment

Bisch is right... I would say, from first hand experience and watching my other trad hunting buddies that:

Shooting a trad bow well is difficult.

Finding the trad bow that suits you best is even more difficult.

I took the route of buying the sage and using it for a year until I really understood what I was looking for. Then I shot a bunch of bows at a couple different shoots when folks offered up the opportunity. It helped me rule out a lot of bows quickly and so I was able to find "the one" in just a few months without having to buy/sell/buy/sell/buy/sell...

So anywho... I really like my Blackwidow recurve... and am still searching for that right longbow - but am not in any really huge hurry.

Comment

Man o man. You might privately investigate Bob Sarrels Yukon. I love mine. Smooth. Quiet. Quiet. Quiet. Sexy. Forgiving.

Welcome back.

Comment

Comment

Lots and lots of great bows out there today. Many bargains to be had on used bows. If you are interested in having a bow built and don't want to spend a fortune, check out a guy on FB named Al Kimery. I had him build a takedown longbow for me last year and it is hands down the quietest bow I've ever owned--and I've had more than a few. I let one of my sons shoot it and it looks like I'm going to have to order another one because I don't think I'll get that one back! His prices are about half of what most custom bowyers are getting today. Great guy, great bows, great prices.

Comment

Ive got an old Ben Pearson longbow that I got in a trade with White Falcon. You can see pics of it in the thread he started "Ben Pearson Recurves". If you are willing to pay shipping Ill send it your way.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                        Ive got an old Ben Pearson longbow that I got in a trade with White Falcon. You can see pics of it in the thread he started "Ben Pearson Recurves". If you are willing to pay shipping Ill send it your way.
                        Matter of fact since your in Arlington we could probably just meet up somewhere.

Comment

Face it. You are going to buy and sell a lot of bows, which is part of the fun of it, so just jump in and start swimming. I agree to start with lower dollar bows and lower poundage bows. Have fun. After about 50 years of this I have 2 bows that I shoot mostly. A 7 Lakes string follow ASL longbow, and a St. Charles Thunderbird. The next one on line is a Wing Swift Wing.

Comment

I just ordered a Navajo Aztec longbow from Roy Hall in Henderson. I work in Jacksonville so obviously, I own a Bob Lee bi-centennial Elite take down recurve, a Bob Lee Stick (they don't make those anymore) and a couple Wing/AMF recurves bought off ebay, and I lucked into a 21st century longbow from a co-worker. Love them all. I went to Roy's shop, shot a few of his bows before ordering. Smooth, fast, feels natural. Not as expensive as some. I want a Black Widow Long Bow one day but it will need to be used and at the right price. I through carrying heavy bows around in the woods.

Comment

I guess we're getting a wave like on AT of the guys looking to dig up old posts to make enough to use the classified section.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X