UTV Trailer build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTV Trailer build

First off I suck at DIY threads because when I'm working I never stop to take pics.

Project - New 6' x 12' trailer for the Ranger

Started out with my new welder in training aka oldest son Bryce.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378432709.818448.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	24985122

We ended day 1 with the frame , spring hangers and tongue welded out with running gear on hand tight just so we could roll it around the shop. All the rails and expanded metal were cut out and fit / tacked in place.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378432891.082725.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	24985126

Day 2 got the rails etc welded out, tailgate built, jack installed, and conduit for wiring welded in. In other words she was ready for paint at this point.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378433032.346517.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	24985127

I stripped running gear and jack off and sent it for blast, prime & paint.
    Attached Files

Here we are back from paint with running gear installed, photos show the conduit run so that very little wiring in exposed to be snagged by weeds etc.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378433414.836404.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	24240831

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378433427.759630.jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	24240832

Now it's done with treated floor and LED lights

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378433473.022826.jpg
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	24240833

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378433483.973885.jpg
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	24240834

Comment

That's impressive

Comment

Good job

Comment

Do you mind me asking how much you have in it? Just trying to weigh building one vs just buying one. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            Do you mind me asking how much you have in it? Just trying to weigh building one vs just buying one. Thanks
            Off the top of my head:

Trailer parts; axle kit with hub assemblies, jack, lights, wiring, fenders, 3 tires with wheels $ 550.00

Steel $300.00

Blast, prime, & paint $250.00

Floor $ 200.00

You can buy one cheaper but it won't have the expanded metel sides, wiring conduit or square tube tongue that I prefer when pulling the trailer behind an ATV/ UTV because it allows sharper turns without your rear tires hitting the jack. And you would miss the chance to teach your teenage son how to build a trailer

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              This was my same question, I paid about $1450 for my 6x12 Big Tex brand new a year ago

Super nice job on the trailer build.... looks sharp!

Comment

Nicely done, sir!

What did you do for tie down points to secure the UTV to the trailer? Do you plan to use th stake pockets for this, or are rhere some rings I can't see on my phone?

I'm fascinated with builds like this, I have a design in my head for a trailer I want to build, but I don't need it right now, so it's just an idea, and I enjoy seeing new inspiration.

Comment

Nice trailer. If your beginner son made some of those welds shown, I really feel bad. I have been welding for years and cant come close to running beads that nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                    Nicely done, sir!

What did you do for tie down points to secure the UTV to the trailer? Do you plan to use th stake pockets for this, or are rhere some rings I can't see on my phone?

I'm fascinated with builds like this, I have a design in my head for a trailer I want to build, but I don't need it right now, so it's just an idea, and I enjoy seeing new inspiration.
                    Thank you Sir

The angle that comes over the end of the board at the back of the trailer has a hole in the center that I attach a chain to using a heavy S-hook, this chain has a loop in the end that get thrown over the ball and then I use a single ratchet strap from the front of the bike to the handle loop near the hitch. So I load bike stopping about 1' from the front rail, get off and throw the chain over the ball, pull forward until chain is tight, set brake, and then ratchet down front with single ratchet.

This system is super fast to load / unload and has worked great for me for years.

Comment

Originally posted by BWDean View Post
                      Nice trailer. If your beginner son made some of those welds shown, I really feel bad. I have been welding for years and cant come close to running beads that nice.
                      Thanks.

For this build my son was limited to using the chop saw to cut all the angle iron, using the torch to cut the expanded metal, tacking, and practice welds on scrap.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nice trailer. Great that your son has an interest. I still use the 5x10 I built 30 years ago. I get the urge to build another every now and then but never can make the $ and time make sense over buying.

Comment

nice work.

don't forget the safety chains.

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Very well done! Is that a huge horizontal bandsaw I spy?….this guy is jealous.

Comment

Working...
                              X