Charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcoal

Any TBHers make there own charcoal? I've been helping a buddy do BBQ competitions, benefits, and some catering just cause I like to cook, and I saw on a tv show a guy was using charcoal he said he had made. We use a Combination of wood and corbon now but was wondering if it would be worth it to starts making our own.

When I did the pig in the ground thing we would take the meat off and cover the coals back up and after a few weeks uncover and retreive the charcoal... worked but it seems like the wood used was much more than the charcoal we got .. for us it wasnt worth the effort... but I gotta say we wernt going for charcoal but the pig.. might be better if you went for the charcoal from the getgo... not much help but thats all i got...

Comment

There's some video's on you tube for how to .seems pretty easy

Comment

It takes a lot of wood to make the charcoal in the ammounts you will need. and then you need a good amount of wood or another fuel source to make it. but it is fun and a lost art.

Comment

The idea is to dry out the wood correct? I've seen the YouTube videos, would I get the same effect from loading up some wood in my huge smoker and then keeping a fire going in my box? Would that work?

Comment

Wood is not a problem have 10 acres I need to get rid of.

Comment

Wood is burned in a kiln. The oxygen is shut off at just the right time. You can buy lump charcoal and skip doing it yourself. A friend of mine made it until the EPA shut his operation down. Now it's all imported.

Comment

Working...
              X