LED Truck Bed Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Truck Bed Lighting

I finally got started last night, but did not get far. I installed a water proof (should probably read water resistant) toggle switch. I had purchased a waterproof rocker, but I did not want to cut out a large hole in the bed to install it. I found this one at a marine supply store. Basic toggle w/on/off and a rubber boot to keep the water out. I took the tail light lense out and installed it through the bed, accessing the back side of the switch through the tail light lense hole. I ran the hot wire down through the bottom of the tail light cavity where the wires for the light are run. It got dark on me so that is where I am at currently. I will try and upload pics as I go. I hope to finish it out this weekend. The switch should be pretty water resistant, since the tail light keeps the back side dry, and the rubber boot on the front side keeps that side dry. Sorry for the cell phone pic, but should give you reference.
    Attached Files

did you hook it up to a 12V hot?

on edit: is it constant or switched somewhere?

Comment

I have lights on both sides in the rear with switchs on both sides to turn on and off on my f350 hunting truck. I use them all the time and glad I can turn them on and off from both sides.
      I had them done since i don't have the skills so all I can say is well worth it.

Comment

I am going to hook it to a constant hot wire, and it will be turned on and off with the switch. I installed an inline fuse last night, but did not get a pic yet. Will update with progress.

Comment

I am thinking about doing the same thing. keep us posted. I was wondering where I was going to hook up the hot wire.

Comment

I plan to do this soon as well. It's especially dark in mine since I have a bed cover. I plan to mount a main on/off switch but have a plunger type switch so it comes on when I raise my bed cover.

Comment

Update****

Finished the install Sunday before the Super Bowl. I ended up running a hot wire from the engine compartment to the rear. I have a diesel truck and there is a positive block where the two batteries connect to one another. I happened to have a round connector that was the same size as the bolt connecting the two batteries, so I connected my hot wire there. I then ran the hot wire down the frame and zip tied the wire to the existing wires, all the way to the rear of the truck. I then ran the wire up into the well where the tail light attaches. See photo. You can barely see in the photo, but in the center of the cavity there is a hole. This hole goes through and into the bed stake. I ran the wires for the lights through this hole and then through the bed stake.
              Attached Files

Comment

The switch I used simply has a hot terminal and then an on/off terminal. I put an in line fuse in place, which is the orange wire in the first photo. Underneath the lip of the bed there is a hole from the stake through to the inside of the bed. This is where I ran the wires to attach to the lights themselves. All butt splices were heat shrink covered. I verified I had power with a simple test light. Then I ran the ground wire back through the stake from the lights themselves and simply grounded it to the frame with a self tapping screw. To attach the two sides I ran a wire across the rear end of the truck between the two tail lights and up through the opposite side's tail light cavity just like the first one. I ran a second ground wire back from the lights and grounded it the same as the first. I finished one side last week, then completed the install Sunday. I did put a little silicon at the ends of the light strip to help stick it to the bed, then I installed several small plastic clips to hold it permanently in place. I bought the clips from superbrites.com.
                Attached Files

Comment

After photo

Final photo of lights at night.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I am no mechanic, and I hate electricity. Honestly if I can do this, anyone can. I did make a mistake apparently. I should have installed the fuse at the power source, and not at the switch. I will install another fuse closer to to the batteries.

Comment

turned out nice

Comment

Looks good bud, marking for my example. Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Comment

what size fuse??

Comment

Can anybody share the eBay page Yall are buying these from I can't find it, thanks

Comment

The fuse I used is a 5amp. I bought my lights off of amazon.com. On one of the other threads there is a discussion on which ones to buy, and I simply found them and purchased them there. I don't have paypal which is why I did not go with ebay. I think you can get them a little cheaper on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                              X