Barnes LRX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barnes LRX

Anyone have experience with the Barnes LRX on animals?
    I’ve never hunted with any Barnes bullets but I’ve heard you need to hit bone and push them fast. My 6.5 RPM shoots the 127 LRX really well a tad over 3200fps.
    I shot 140 accubonds last year and was really happy with them but they are hard to find. The LRX are pretty easy to get.
    If they perform I’d like to hunt with them since the gun loves them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are a solid copper bullet like the TSX/TTSX just heavier and longer. The performance out of the TTSX Bullets I shoot is unmatched. I shot the LRX until I couldn’t find them and the one animal I shot with it smashed it.

Comment

My daughter shoots a 130gn TTSX out of her .308 at around 2450 fps. Everything she has shot (150yds max) folds in there tracks.

We have been really happy with them.

Comment

I have no experience with Barnes Bullets, they are on the shelf to reload just haven’t tried them in anything. I really like my Hammer Bullets in 124gr hammer hunters out my 26 Nosler.

Comment

I've used them loaded in factory ammo for 7RUM (145gr LRX) and 338RUM (250gr LRX)-- the factory Barnes ammo was outstanding (ran it out to 800 yds).

The 7RUM ran at 3350 and was an absolute lightning bolt on critters-- I went for high shoulder shots- the monos damage way less meat IMO than cup and core. The only animal of over a dozen that took a step was a double lunged doe that was on the run after killed two of her compadres.

The 338RUM was slower (2950) but really dang accurate and its taken 3 mule right off their feet.

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
            I've used them loaded in factory ammo for 7RUM (145gr LRX) and 338RUM (250gr LRX)-- the factory Barnes ammo was outstanding (ran it out to 800 yds).

The 7RUM ran at 3350 and was an absolute lightning bolt on critters-- I went for high shoulder shots- the monos damage way less meat IMO than cup and core. The only animal of over a dozen that took a step was a double lunged doe that was on the run after killed two of her compadres.

The 338RUM was slower (2950) but really dang accurate and its taken 3 mule right off their feet.

That’s good info. I usually try and tuck it right behind the shoulder. I wasn’t aware that the mono bullets not damaging as much.

Comment

I think it is one of the biggest benefits-- never recovered a single bullet but the barnes typically maintain integrity and you have zero copper jacket or lead fragmenting and spalling through the meat creating all those additional wound channels.

The hammer bullets are a mono but they are designed to shear off petals from the nose of the bullet and might damage more meat.

If you can find those LRX Id give em a whirl!!

Originally posted by Yelladog View Post
              That’s good info. I usually try and tuck it right behind the shoulder. I wasn’t aware that the mono bullets not damaging as much.

Comment

I was getting 2950 out of a shorter barreled 6.5 PRC. Shot an elk at just under 500 yards and it didn’t mushroom like I’d hoped. Calcs show it was above the velocity threshold to perform, but I didn’t hit any major bone to help with that. Here’s the link to the thread with more about that experience: https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=785253
                Last edited by mzurovec; 10-01-2022, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
                  I was getting 2950 out of a shorter barreled 6.5 PRC. Shot an elk at just under 500 yards and it didn’t mushroom like I’d hoped. Calcs show it was above the velocity threshold to perform, but I didn’t hit any major bone to help with that. Here’s the link to the thread with more about that experience: https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=785253

Thanks for the input. The PRC and RPM pretty similar ballistics. I’m running a 24in barrel

Comment

Working...
                  X