Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way to hang in there

Comment

I sure am glad I got this done in early August. Since the rains, deer sightings have been WAY down. If I was going off my numbers from the past couple of weeks I don't know if I would shoot any deer. But they are there, just not visible right now....

Comment

Most aren't seeing many deer after the late summer green-up. Trust the data you collected and go kill some deer. The hunting season is the only time you have to adjust deer numbers in preparation for the next drought.

Relative to the above, another thing I'll mention is that when attempting to get your density from where it is now to where you want it to be, you don't have to get from Point A to Point B in a single season. Just keep working toward the goal and remember that if you don't shoot more deer than the number of fawns expected to be produced, you won't be making progress. While fawn crops vary year to year based on various things, sometimes substantially, figure in a relatively safe 40% crop based on the number of post-season does. That will get you close most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
          Most aren't seeing many deer after the late summer green-up. Trust the data you collected and go kill some deer. The hunting season is the only time you have to adjust deer numbers in preparation for the next drought.

Relative to the above, another thing I'll mention is that when attempting to get your density from where it is now to where you want it to be, you don't have to get from Point A to Point B in a single season. Just keep working toward the goal and remember that if you don't shoot more deer than the number of fawns expected to be produced, you won't be making progress. While fawn crops vary year to year based on various things, sometimes substantially, figure in a relatively safe 40% crop based on the number of post-season does. That will get you close most of the time.
          Thanks. I do feel like my data given drought conditions is about as accurate as it will ever be doing my survey at feeders. I'm ready to put a few on the ground for sure.

I also agree on getting from point A to B. I think it will definitely be a process as I learn more in general, learn more about the ranch (we haven't even had it for 11 months) and spend more time in the stands from year to year. I keep having to remind myself as much time as we spent hunting last year, it wasn't typical for many reasons including when we started feeding, how much traffic we introduced given we were working more than hunting (setting up stands, feeders, etc.) and given the other traffic as we had bulldozers, etc working 50 hours a week really from the beginning of November until middle of December. All of that won't be happening this year so I'll definitely get a better idea after this year.

Comment

Good, have fun. But, never trust just what you see at feeders and you'll be good.

Comment

Even though the season isn't over and we haven't come close to hitting our numbers I'm already starting to think about next year. Do any of you do deer counts after the season? I'm thinking a late January/early February count should give a pretty accurate look at what survived and hopefully catch the bucks before they shed. That should give a decent comparison to the study next August with fawns being added in August to hopefully increase accuracy. Anyway, just thinking out loud and wondering if anyone does this or if I would be wasting my time.

Comment

Some folks do a potseason survey. As a general rule, the more data the better.
                But for me personally, I've never really seen the value in them. Fawns are big enough to be mistaken for does (especially since some of the does have been shot making normal size comparisons difficult) and the potential is there for additional mortality between late winter and the following July/August time frame. Also, don't forget the seasonal shifts in home range. Some of the deer you're seeing now won't necessarily be there for the next preseason survey. And the last point is that many deer will be added to the deer herd over spring, summer, and early fall with the addition of fawns and the immigration of dispersing yearling bucks.

Bottom line is if it's fun and providing you with information about the deer herd and property do it, but, be cautious of letting the post-season numbers influence your thinking on the 2023 preseason surveys.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                  Some folks do a potseason survey. As a general rule, the more data the better.
                  But for me personally, I've never really seen the value in them. Fawns are big enough to be mistaken for does (especially since some of the does have been shot making normal size comparisons difficult) and the potential is there for additional mortality between late winter and the following July/August time frame. Also, don't forget the seasonal shifts in home range. Some of the deer you're seeing now won't necessarily be there for the next preseason survey. And the last point is that many deer will be added to the deer herd over spring, summer, and early fall with the addition of fawns and the immigration of dispersing yearling bucks.

Bottom line is if it's fun and providing you with information about the deer herd and property do it, but, be cautious of letting the post-season numbers influence your thinking on the 2023 preseason surveys.
                  As always, thanks for the reply and info. I wouldn't base any harvest numbers for next year on the post season study. That would still be 100% based on pre season numbers, and I'll include fawns this time. I think it could provide a little information on whether to just balance out the fawns in the study or take additional does. It would be purely for information and more to compare to last year's study than influence next year's study. I would say in this study there are no longer fawns, just does and nubbin bucks that are 6 mo old.

Comment

Working...
                  X