Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What am I doing wrong????(stainless hardware)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I doing wrong????(stainless hardware)

These stainless nuts went on just fine. Got about half way, and they all totally seized up, and then twisted off. Three tonight, then two a couple weeks ago, they were different size. All hardware was new and came with new items as mounting hardware. I initially used a 1/4” ratchet until it seized, then I broke out the impact to twist them off. So frustrated with this....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s dem Chinese bolts.

Comment

Different thread pitch?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        Different thread pitch?

I started them all by hand, until the nylon grabbed. Who knows....

Comment

Hard to say but it seems like the first part of the bolts took the thread fine. I would have to say it's faulty thread on the bolts.

Comment

I hate stainless fasteners... That is all

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Being that its stainless you may be calling the threads. Nylon lock nuts make galling more likely. Slow down and use some lubrication.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                Being that its stainless you may be calling the threads. Nylon lock nuts make galling more likely. Slow down and use some lubrication.
                Yep

Comment

Stainless is normally really soft metal. Try some anti seize on the threads.

Comment

Stainless on stainless is never a good thing. Use some anti seize and slow down, don't over heat the nut while you are putting it on.

Comment

Stainless on stainless galling. As said above use a lubricant.

Comment

Originally posted by 3under3 View Post
                        Stainless is normally really soft metal. Try some anti seize on the threads.
                        Originally posted by Jackal View Post
                        Stainless on stainless is never a good thing. Use some anti seize and slow down, don't over heat the nut while you are putting it on.
                        Anti seize.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackal View Post
                          This! Or use a zinc nut

Comment

yep to above comments. Especially with the nylon lock nuts you have to tighten them very slowly to keep from heating them up. What is happening is they are getting hot and then seizing on you. Go very slow and use hand tools not a battery or electric powered tool. also use anti seize or some sort of lubricant.

Comment

Milk of magnesia works great with stainless on stainless.

Comment

Working...
                              X