Latest Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest Project

Tired of sitting around so decided to investigate some ways folks have displayed their turkey fans/beards/spurs. Found one similar to this but it was a gun kill without the arrow, so I decided to adapt it. The fan isn't the best, and the visible gap in the left part is due to two tail feathers which were missing when I shot him. It hangs in the garage under a bunch of the racks from bucks I've shot--Looking at the pic, I may move the anchor points of the shaft upwards to get the lower end of the beard on the board--

I did this for my wife a few years ago

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Bowyer---really nice--never thought about keeping the wings. Maybe next time--

Comment

Cool display. Nice idea !!

Comment

This is one of the 4 fans I've done. I have 2 that look like this one.

The wood is cut from a cedar tree from the ranch where the birds were taken. Cuts on the tree were made at about a 15-20 degree angle, so the front face of the cedar sits about an inch or so lower that the back face (if that makes sense). The blocks are about 4-5" thick (front to back).

I used my chainsaw to cut a slit in the top of the cedar where the fan sits. There are two wood screws coming in from the back, thru the fan to hold it in place.

The feathers have para-cord glued into the quill ends, wrapped with felt (black), then tie-wrapped with cross-stitching thread (gold). Wood beads on top & bottom of the spurs. Then hot-glued into a drilled hole on the side of the cedar.

The beard is also hot-glued into a 1/2" hole in the bottom of the cedar. Because the front face sits lower than the back, this helps to hide how the beard is glued in place.

Comment

Bowyer, kmack--thanks for your posts. Next one (if I decide to shoot another) I have a couple of great examples to copy.

Comment

Working...
            X