Hunting around Cattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carpe_diem View Post
    This is excellent advice. He will probably be on the property every day or two and the deer will get used to his truck and honking and whatnot and pay it no attention. He might be able to give you some useful scouting info. "I can't believe how big that buck is that's always hanging around the hay barn in the middle of the afternoon".
    Thats great advice right there. Its amazing the deer that won't even look at a farmer if he drives right by or is out walking around working

Comment

The biggest place I ever hunted was about 240 acres - and a working cattle farm. Of the 240, there was about a 1 acre corner area the deer traveled through all the time - as long as the cows weren't too close.

Hunting that spot one morning & watch the cattle graze to within 30-40 yards of me - usually a bad thing. Then I spot a young buck coming from the adjacent land, through some thick grass totally unaware that he was getting (dangerously) close to the cattle. He eventually crossed onto the ground I was hunting & gradually made his way to within about 20 yards of the nearest cow. He happened to get to a spot where he could see them. When he saw them (and realized how close he was), he completely freaked & about turned himself inside out trying to get away from the threatening, scary creatures! It was quite hilarious to watch. I has seen plenty of other deer see the cattle from much further away & just calmly go somewhere else.

But that bucks reaction was by far the best I ever saw.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        I built pens with 3 strands of barbed wire at 12” 24” and 36”. It has worked well for me 5 years now. I occasionally have a calf slip in a time or two. The cows are really a non issue and the deer have no problems getting in to eat.
        This is my way also---and if I keep the wire taut, no problems with cows. I also carry a slingshot to the stand with me and a pocket full of 5/16" nuts from the bulk hardware bins at TSC.

Comment

I have jumped out of my blind and chased cattle trying to hit them with every log and rock I could pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
            I have jumped out of my blind and chased cattle trying to hit them with every log and rock I could pick up.
            I hate cows!!!! I’ve done this exact thing. I hate cows!!!

If I ever win the lottery I’m going to buy a big ranch and stock it full of cows then I’m going to shoot everyone of them!!!

Comment

I'm definitely getting a sling shot this year, although I did add barbwire around the feeder pens, so hopefully that will help.

Comment

A red rider bb gun is fun and productive [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I own cows, but hate hunting with them inconsiderate *******s
                  Last edited by eliteweldingco; 09-18-2020, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Pro-everything is used to the cows could even give you a chance for a coyote to add to the kitty, everything seems to follow the cows through a pasture.
                    Con- major pia, they're gonna come check everything you do in the pasture, eat your feed, eat your feedsacks, and eat the wiring on your trailer!

Comment

Hate em. They’ll mess up a hunt quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Besides a crappy lease member that shoots young bucks, cows are the WORSE! Put up a BIG, well built feeder pen.

Comment

Working...
                        X