gooseneck trailer Deckover or drive over fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gooseneck trailer Deckover or drive over fender

I am in the market for a trailer to haul my tractor mainly, but I have a 16 and 12 ft bumper pull lowboy (also have a 20ft that I am selling to buy a gooseneck). anyway, are there any big advantages or disadvantages between a drive over fender trailer vs a deckover float? Either trailer will have 2 7k lb axles and be 24 ft atleast. I am thinking of going 25 deck with 4ft dove deckover, but will I gain anything big by going with a drive over fender?

I own both. I prefer the deck over except when it comes to hauling my skid steer. The angle loading is steeper with the deck over. For a tractor especially with a loader I like the deck over as I can place the tractor in the “sweet” spot. Something that can be limited with the drive over. My skid steer fits between the drive over fenders. So either will work but the key is being able to balance your load.

Comment

Deck over of course usually gives you a wider deck and a complete flat surface so loading and unloading pallets from sides are better but these style trailers are taller and a little heavier and top heavy,I suggest putting heavier ply tires to offset the weight of trailer. A lowboy style is usually lighter and lower to the ground.I have both with a landscape company and need both but I use the gooseneck lowboy way more.

Comment

I like a deck over, wider deck for shredder, easier to chain down , angles are steeper to drive on though

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          I own both. I prefer the deck over except when it comes to hauling my skid steer. The angle loading is steeper with the deck over. For a tractor especially with a loader I like the deck over as I can place the tractor in the “sweet” spot. Something that can be limited with the drive over. My skid steer fits between the drive over fenders. So either will work but the key is being able to balance your load.
          thanks, I have had a deckover in the past but it was dual tandem. I am looking at a tandem this time, not duals though

Comment

How much for the 20' bumper pull. ansd do you have any pics.

Comment

I got this, last week.

Pulls great, but the only thing I have hauled was a 10' John Deer mower.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
                How much for the 20' bumper pull. ansd do you have any pics.
                It is most likely sold to a buddy of mine. We built it at school for an ffa project. You will not find a better built heavy duty bumperpull. If he doesn’t buy it I will post it here

Comment

Any time I could get away with I I’d prefer the drive over fenders over the deckover.

Comment

We recently tested out PJ deck over with 7k and a drive over fender PJ & Diamond C. The angles on both drive over fenders were steeper than the deck over. Put them side by side and you will see it. My customer wanted a trailer to load his skid steer forward instead backing it up. Both drive between the fenders had mini monster ramps and deck over had monster ramps. The skidsteer had no issues driving up the deckover. On the drive between fenders, it tried to flip over.
                    My personal experience: I am going with a deck over once I sell my drive over fender GN. I hate the drive over fender.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                      We recently tested out PJ deck over with 7k and a drive over fender PJ & Diamond C. The angles on both drive over fenders were steeper than the deck over. Put them side by side and you will see it. My customer wanted a trailer to load his skid steer forward instead backing it up. Both drive between the fenders had mini monster ramps and deck over had monster ramps. The skidsteer had no issues driving up the deckover. On the drive between fenders, it tried to flip over.
                      My personal experience: I am going with a deck over once I sell my drive over fender GN. I hate the drive over fender.
                      My PJ has 10,000 pound axels with the drive over fenders. I don’t have any problems forward loading my skid steer. It fits between the fenders so no reason to drive over them. It’s tight but has an inch or so of clearance on each side. Maybe my ramps are longer.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                        My PJ has 10,000 pound axels with the drive over fenders. I don’t have any problems forward loading my skid steer. It fits between the fenders so no reason to drive over them. It’s tight but has an inch or so of clearance on each side. Maybe my ramps are longer.
                        I have 2 PJ drive over with 10k axles. One has mini monster ramps and one has a 2' with 5' standing up knee ramps. I thought the one with 5' ramps might work better but it did not work for his machine. His was Unit with tires, not tracks and it was small compared to some of the big machines. It was a small Bobcat and maybe 7k in weight

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                          I have 2 PJ drive over with 10k axles. One has mini monster ramps and one has a 2' with 5' standing up knee ramps. I thought the one with 5' ramps might work better but it did not work for his machine. His was Unit with tires, not tracks and it was small compared to some of the big machines. It was a small Bobcat and maybe 7k in weight
                          That’s probably the difference. Mine has tracks and weighs 12,000 pounds. I do like the deck over better but mine has 7,000 pounds axels. I bought a bigger trailer to haul the skid steer.

Comment

It’s a toss up. I tend to pull my drive over fender trailer a lot more because it’s lighter then my dual tandem.

I would upgrade to 8k lb axles atleast no matter what I went with.

If I got a float I think I would get 10k single wheel axles. But I might just have them upgrade the axles but go with the lighter frame trailer.

What size tractor you hauling?

I have hauled 14-15k on my drive over fender trailer with no problems. Now I wouldn’t make a habit of it or make long runs with that load. They are pretty versatile.
                            Last edited by dclifton; 09-13-2020, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I have a load max 26’ with mega ramps. Had a 95 horse John Deere tractor on mine no issues, pull a 95 horse deere skid steer with no issues. I’ve never used the drive over fenders and I use the trailer multiple times a week. 102” wide, even have put trucks on it with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X