Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

muzzle loader experts

Quick question
    I was throwing lead all over the place at 50 yards the other day.
    Shooting round balls out of a 10 year old CVA optima. I was using 100 gr. pellets and patch.
    I ran a brush down the barrel after ever 3-4 shot.
    Do you think i might have gotten better results if i had used a lesser charge? Say around 80gr?
    Is 50-90 gr with a round ball good enough to kill a deer out to 100yds?

any reason you are not using a sabot? You should have a rifled barrel

Comment

Rifling twist is too fast for round balls would be my guess

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        Quick question
        I was throwing lead all over the place at 50 yards the other day.
        Shooting round balls out of a 10 year old CVA optima. I was using 100 gr. pellets and patch.
        I ran a brush down the barrel after ever 3-4 shot.
        Do you think i might have gotten better results if i had used a lesser charge? Say around 80gr?
        Is 50-90 gr with a round ball good enough to kill a deer out to 100yds?
        I've killed 3 does with using 230 grain roundball shooting 80 grains of loose powder, 1/60" twist barrel. Ranges were 50 to 60 yards with passthrough on all. I'm confident it could kill at hundred if I could do my part with the iron sights. Mine is capable of I believe 100 grains of powder but 80 seems to be the sweet spot.
        Last edited by SamSowell; 11-05-2020, 12:46 PM. Reason: missing info

Comment

Rifling twist and too much powder. Back powder off to around 60-65 grains and try that and start working your way up. My hunting load for my 50 Hawken is 67 grains Pyro and Patched RB.
          Last edited by tx_basser; 11-05-2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Modern day ML are twist rated for sabots not balls.

Comment

drop down to 50

Comment

100 grains (two 50 grain 777 pellets) - 245 grain Powerbelt in all of my in line muzzleloaders. (both .50 cal) and rifled.

Comment

The Optima has a 1 in 28" twist rate. This is way too fast for a round ball, you need a 1 in 60" or slower for a dedicated round ball rifle. Optimas seem to perform the best with a Powerbelt and around 100 grains of powder (2 pellets of Triple 7 works great)

I've killed dozens of deer with my .54 using 110 grains of FFg loose powder behind a .530 round ball patched with a .015 patch. It will print cloverleafs at 75 yards. I've taken deer out to 125 yards.

Comment

Appreciate all the info. I was using the round balls only because my son wanted to use the muzzle loader for youth weekend. I typically use the RB's with my hawken and didnt even consider the rifling....because i rarely shoot these things.
                    I'll back off to 50 and work back up and I'll buy more appropriate bullets.
                    All of you have been very helpful, thank you

Comment

With the right load, you could be able to shoot 200yds accurately with magnum charges.
                      My pet load in my CVA Wolf is 2 pellets of 777(100grs) and a 295gr powerbelt.
                      My TC Thunderhawk likes loose powder(90grs of pyrodex) and a TC 350gr maxihunter.
                      Muzzleloaders are finicky, right down to the primer.

Comment

I shoot only old time muzzleloaders and use real black powder. All my rifles are round ball twist 1 in 70”. I use 90 gr. FFF powder behind a patched .535 round ball. Devastating.

Comment

Rifling not deep enough and WAY too fast twist. Most 50cal round ball barrels are going to be 1-62” to 1-66” twist with deep rifling. Your Optima is probably 1-28” with shallow rifling.

Completely different animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by moe monsarrat View Post
                            I shoot only old time muzzleloaders and use real black powder. All my rifles are round ball twist 1 in 70”. I use 90 gr. FFF powder behind a patched .535 round ball. Devastating.
                            Where do you hunt..I see blanco county on your avatar.
                            My lease is just a few miles west of Hamilton Pool.

Comment

Working...
                            X