Boat Battery Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Battery Question?

Im adding a 4th battery to my boat to get alot off of my cranking battery. I have two 12 volts deep cycles under my console which power my 24 volt trolling motor. My two graphs and two talons are hooked up on the cranking battery. I am wanting to put an extra battery in the back for these items and get them off my cranking battery. My question is should I go with a deep cycle only or go with a dual purpose deep cycle/ cranking marine battery?

You could go with a lead acid or you could go with a lithium type battery and save some weight.

Comment

Dual purpose for the cranking amps.

Comment

I rigged my Stratos with 4 batteries.

2 batteries of 27 group size for trolling. 24 group size for cranking and another 24 for the live well hat I added a aquarium bubbler into for maximum oxygen.

Had them all hooked to my Ancient Mariner tender. Plug in and all get charged as needed and auto switch off once fully charged. Worked well for years and I fished tourneys on Big O constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dual purpose battery.

FWIW I would use a switch (Perko or blue sea) to set one up as cranking and the the other as a “house battery” to run all your electronics other than trolling motor but still be available for backup cranking if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
            Dual purpose battery.

FWIW I would use a switch (Perko or blue sea) to set one up as cranking and the the other as a “house battery” to run all your electronics other than trolling motor but still be available for backup cranking if needed.
            THIS

Comment

On mine I run a cranking battery for motor only 24 series, and 3 27 series that are deep cycle, on those 3 I run the trolling motor radio, speaker, and everything else. Just changed the 3 last week after 6 years. Also have a quad batt charger on boat.

Comment

For a 4th, and for what your wanting to do with them, I'd go with a DP. That way if your cranking battery ever went down, you'd have a back-up starting battery.

Comment

I'm only running 4 batteries. 36volts for trolling only and one for cranking and everything else, biggest AGM cranking battery interstate makes and I have never had an issue. 250proxs needs a full 12volts to just turn over. Don't rely on your motor to charge your battery, have a 4 bank charger and you're good.

Comment

I just did this exact same thing last weekend. I put in a Group 29 deep cycle in to run graphs and I may move my power pole over to it in the future. It will not be used to crank the big motor but I had gotten to the point where the cranking battery had too many accessories on it and some of my graphs would freeze up when I started my motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksig512 View Post
                      I'm only running 4 batteries. 36volts for trolling only and one for cranking and everything else, biggest AGM cranking battery interstate makes and I have never had an issue. 250proxs needs a full 12volts to just turn over. Don't rely on your motor to charge your battery, have a 4 bank charger and you're good.
                      I have mine set up like yours now but with 2 dedicated for trolling(24volts) and everything else on my cranking. 2 graphs and 2 talons. I also have a 3 bank charger running to each battery. I was thinking maybe I have to much on the cranking. Never any issues but installing bigger graphs this week I thought may be best to separate them.

Comment

Mine is set up with 2 “house” batteries that can do everything, and one 36v lithium for TM.
                        2 main batteries are both optima blue tops. I typically start my day with the perko set to “both” while I run to my first spot, so I make sure they are both getting a charge. Then I switch to one when I get there and stay with it all day. Next day I go out I choose the other. This way I always have a hot backup.

Not sure if this is the best way of operation but I’ve never run one down enough to. It be able to start the outboard. Also never had a charger on any of them, as the motor charges the lithium while running, too.

Comment

31m optima blue top or the AGM Duracell from Sams would be my suggestion. The Duracell is the best bang for the buck IMO

Comment

I'd go dual purpose with a switch so you will have that extra battery available to start with if you ever mess up and drain the cranking battery. If you use the blue sea "add a battery" kit, it includes a charging relay so it'll charge your second battery from your alternator/stator after the cranking battery is topped off. If you go with a basic perko you'll have to switch to battery 2 to charge it when needed.

Simplifies switching and automates charging for a complete two battery bank solution.

Comment

Working...
                            X