Hypothetical Sales Tax Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypothetical Sales Tax Question

Suppose someone was to buy a new travel trailer in OK where they don’t charge sales tax. If you never had any intention to register it and actually tow it around do you go ahead and go to the courthouse and pay the sales tax? It’s not an insignificant amount of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a friend who says hell no.

Comment

It should be registered. I’d register it in OK just to make it “legal”.

I don’t think towing it around without a registration will endear you to the law man.

Comment

Not sure about travel trailers in OK but I recently bought a utility trailer from there and it was a nightmare to get legal here because they don't require title tags or registration there. Buyer beware!

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          I have a friend who says hell no.
          I got that same friend

Comment

Originally posted by mikerosa View Post
            It should be registered. I’d register it in OK just to make it “legal”.

I don’t think towing it around without a registration will endear you to the law man.

It would be towed from dealer to deer camp and would never move.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

In that case buy it in Ok, get a temp tag which dealer (I hope) could give you to get it to the lease and you're done. BUT, do get insurance on it while on Deer Lease or sitting where ever it sits.

Comment

Dealer should give you a temp tag to get it to the lease.

Comment

Ok , but don’t you ever get “spot checked” by the law ? You’re only half legal in that you have a bill of sale. The state always wants taxes and licenses because it’s a big revenue driver.

If your way out, not spot checked or get spot checked, atleast the rig isn’t stolen and you can prove ownership.

Without registering it, you won’t get a title in your name ?

I’d try to register it in OK, get your title in your name, drive it to deer camp and set it up. Title from OK shows the spot checkers it’s out of their jurisdiction. You’ll most likely be left alone.

Comment

My be worth renting a post office box in OK for a few months. Get it registered and titled in OK.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerosa View Post
                      Ok , but don’t you ever get “spot checked” by the law ? You’re only half legal in that you have a bill of sale. The state always wants taxes and licenses because it’s a big revenue driver.

If your way out, not spot checked or get spot checked, atleast the rig isn’t stolen and you can prove ownership.

Without registering it, you won’t get a title in your name ?

I’d try to register it in OK, get your title in your name, drive it to deer camp and set it up. Title from OK shows the spot checkers it’s out of their jurisdiction. You’ll most likely be left alone.

Sounds like a lot of work. Just hire Bandit to distract any Smokeys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d haul it with a bill of sale and never look back.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
                          My be worth renting a post office box in OK for a few months. Get it registered and titled in OK.

1 year, then you can transfer to TX and get TX plates without taxes.

People do this often by setting up a trust for the purchase of high end sports cars and motor coaches etc.

So I have heard.

Comment

Just haul it. No big deal

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                              I got that same friend
                              Huh.....I know this guy too.

Comment

Working...
                              X