17 magnum,Big Hog,Dust Cloud, hmmm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17 magnum,Big Hog,Dust Cloud, hmmm

So I was getting ready to go to bed at about 10:30 last night and I look out the living room window and see the light on down at the feeder and a dust cloud.
    Strange, the deer are used to the light and don't usually run off creating dust. Wonder if it is a hog? I have never shot a hog here but I know there are a few around. So the light comes back on and a big hog is under the feeder, I run to the closet, grab the 17 super mag (pink, my wife's) because I do have neighbors and don't want to freak them out with an AR going off.
    I go to the end of the deck which would give me about 75 yd shot and the light comes on and I have a head shot but hesitate too long and he moves behind a tree, dang it.
    So I decide to sneak closer behind a shed and there is a good moonlight shining but the cross hairs are too skinny to see in the moonlight. This puts me about 45 yds away from the feeder.
    So now I think he ran off but I can hear him across the fence in the leaves rooting around. Next thing I know another big one goes walking past me at 25 yds and headed to the feeder, now I know that I have to have a perfect ear shot to kill a hog with this tiny bullet. The light comes on and the hog bolts and doesn't stop so no shot.
    After waiting I hear no more noise and assume they are gone so I turn around and take a leak, grab the gun and am going to head back in for the night when the light comes on again. I turn and look and there is this Big Hog, I get situated on him long enough to see the cross hairs and squeeze. Down he goes, squealing and grunting and thrashing and all I can see is a dust cloud 10' high and no way to get another shot. I can see him spinning around on the ground and then nothing....and out of the dust cloud comes this big hog running towards me and then veers off and I can hear him in the leaves running and then downhill towards my big brush pile and nothing.
    I went and grabbed a flashlight and now there are neighbors dogs barking and commotion so I figure I better wait until daylight and go looking.
    All that to say, I better go see now that it is morning.

Update!!!!

Comment

Well ??????

Comment

Suspense is killing us

Comment

Originally posted by RLhunter View Post
          Suspense is killing us
          Ha! Get up and go look!lol

Comment

In for the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

What a tease...

Comment

Big let down! What the heck? Ran my 5 acres with the tractor and nothing, walked the 10 acres to the right and nothing, 5 to the left I have fenced with goat fence so he couldn't get through. Had 20 deer mad at me for running them off the feeder.
                Disappointed, he was a very large boar, I have seen his tracks in my yard but he would never go near a feeder, have a few pics but off in the distance from feeder.
                There is some thick creek bottom grass, I'll watch for buzzards but how stupid tough are they!?

Comment

bigger gun
                  1 shot
                  neighbors will wonder what loud noise was

I know you can kill a pig with .17 but you need precision shot placement and from what you described I would say precision was iffy

Maybe mount you a red dot if you want to use the .17?

He either ran off and died/will die or will be back after the headache leaves his memory

Comment

Scrambled brains but if he was able to gather himself to run, he shook off the concussive effects. He will live more than likely unless being the bullet lodged comes loose and scrambles his brain and or paralyses him. It’s not like a head shot will make him bleed out like a gut shot. That tiny hole already coagulated.

5.56 suppressed would be perfect with nite optics. Lol [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe that hog is dead. They are dang tough animals but that .17WSM is a fine cartridge. At the distance you shot it at and the reaction you got when you hit it I don't think there's any chance that it's still alive.

Comment

No way he's dead. Every hog I've shot in the head with a 22 went to the promised land without a sound and was dead before they hit the ground.

I also have a skull from a big hog I sent to the dirt with 2 30-30 shots in the lungs. After we cleaned the skull we found he had been shot in the head with a large caliber round. It went in above his eye, split and a fragment traveled down his skull, splitting it. It lodged above his tooth. The other fragment shattered his neck vertebrae on the way out. He had healed quite well. Ill post a picture when I find it.

Comment

If the pig got up and ran of, I would say the only ways he might die, if you hit a artery in the neck and not the spine, such as a shot from the front or rear. then maybe a broken jaw causing a bad making it hard to eat and likely getting infected. I did that to one many years ago, with a 243. All of the hogs in a group we were trying to shoot, would not hold still more than about 2 seconds, they were constantly moving. I kept waiting for them to stop for at least a few seconds, then squeeze off a shot, but it moved and I blew the lower jaw apart, blew his tongue up. When we found him a week later he had a serious infection and was standing in a pond, trying to drink.

I would bet money he does not have a bullet hole in his brain, he would not have gotten up.

Comment

I gave up on a 17 after a couple of I couldn’t find.
                            But sounds like a broadhead might work for those
                            The late night stalks.

BP

Comment

That little bullet probably shattered something. If it was it's jaw it'll starve to death. If not there's a chance it'll get infection and die. So the end result will be the same whether it died quick or not. Hogs are tough but they're not invincible.

Comment

Working...
                              X