No announcement yet.

Stop grinding deer shoulders- Mississippi pot roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried this a couple of weeks ago. I won' cook a roast any other way from now on. Thanks for the recipe!

Comment

Tried this on a large old buck whole shoulder in the roaster oven it was great.

Comment

So we’ve made this 3 times now.

1st - WTBuck that was fresh. Was really good, a little rushed getting it on and going in time for week night dinner. Good flavor, pretty good tenderness. She used half the peppers but the whole jar of juice (I think doubting there would be enough to make gravy).

2nd - Axis Doe that was fresh. I didn’t trim the bone as close so it didn’t fit in the crock pot as well (I was already at work and my sons were at school, she’s not used to cutting or loping the bones). The flavor was still real good but the texture was definitely tougher. Either the axis isn’t suited as well for this or, the larger bone didn’t let it sit in its own juices as well.

3rd - Same WTB as first but was vacuum sealed and frozen, then thawed. This was the best one as far as tenderness and likely flavor. Used half the jar of juice, cooked a tad longer as she already had the supplies to get it going.

I will trim the other axis shoulder bone when we go to thaw and cook it next time.
        Last edited by 999; 01-26-2020, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Pics of the last one.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the recipe - we are going to def try this!

Comment

Second 2.0 go round for us today. This is just so stupid easy it’s ridiculous.
              Prep literally takes about 3 maybe 4 minutes.

About an hour away from chow time. [emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                Second 2.0 go round for us today. This is just so stupid easy it’s ridiculous.
                Prep literally takes about 3 maybe 4 minutes.

About an hour away from chow time. [emoji106]
                Wow, I didn't think about putting Cheetos Puffs in there!

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                  Wow, I didn't think about putting Cheetos Puffs in there!
                  Not the brand name Cheetos. That’s Kroger’s knock off cheese puffs brother.

Comment

Looks great

Comment

dang--- I like it!!

Comment

Tried it with pork a few months ago, it was OK. Tried it today with pot roast...big hit with my wife and kids. They loved it. This is definitely going into the rotation.

I thought I put to much juice in with two hunks of meat...wife and kids still loved it. Took some over to the BIL and SILs...they loved it. Super easy, made me look like a genius.

Comment

It's awesome. Family favorite for 15 years now.

Comment

If you use 2 roasts, don't double the recipe. I made 2 for work and doubled the recipe. It was way too salty. Everyone said they liked it, but I'm positive they were just trying to be nice. It sucked, compared to the way it should taste.

Comment

We do the same thing with chicken. Gonna have to try that tho

Comment

We make this on a regular basis. We add an extra pack of Aujus and patato’s and carrots. So they soak up the flavor. I’m not much on roast but I like it this way.
                                Last edited by switchback; 09-13-2020, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X