Rookie LEO runs from gunfight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 325to1195 View Post
    Unfortunately it's more common than you'd think. Alot of these younger folks wanna play dress up and drive around to be seen, but lack what it takes to do the job outside of writing soccer moms for illegal u turns.
    Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
    It's not just LEO either. Firefighters, too. When it gets hot and dark, they'd rather be elsewhere.
    Contractors too. When the Taco Truck pulls onto a job site, the young guys run to Panera Bread and get some Broccoli Cheese soup, while us veterans get the Mystery Meat Taco Deluxe. They just don't make guys like they used to.

Comment

Pretty solid replies. I feel the same way yall do. There is no place for that in police work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Absolutely, fire them. I'm a patrol Sgt. and would make sure that they went home never to return if they responded in that manner. You're either a sheep dog or not. On a side note, we're going through a big transition from veteran officers to brand new guy with the growth of our agency. Its been eye opening to say the least. There are a lot of great people out there, just gotta find the right ones.

Comment

Never been in involved in a 31 10-60

Comment

My understanding is there is no legal obligation for the officers to engage in a gun fight. But fully fireable for not following department expectations.

Comment

nothing will pucker you up like the sound of a bullet flying past you, there's no way to really train for that. you never know how someone will react until they are in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                Contractors too. When the Taco Truck pulls onto a job site, the young guys run to Panera Bread and get some Broccoli Cheese soup, while us veterans get the Mystery Meat Taco Deluxe. They just don't make guys like they used to.
                Epic

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                  Man if the ole velvet elvis was still in play you'd have a stack of em.

Classic.

Comment

I have seen a guy fired for cowardice. Needed to happen. I always told the boots....it may be that both of us are getting the crud kicked out of us but you better not run and your better not quit until we are done.

Comment

Wondered how it would end up.
                      Good on the chief

Comment

Originally posted by laredoarcher View Post
                        Never been in involved in a 31 10-60
                        In a what?

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                          My understanding is there is no legal obligation for the officers to engage in a gun fight. But fully fireable for not following department expectations.
                          There is almost no legal obligation to do anything in any job. The only obligation is to comply with an employer’s rules.

Running from a fight isn’t......

Comment

Originally posted by rockyraider View Post
                            Absolutely, fire them. I'm a patrol Sgt. and would make sure that they went home never to return if they responded in that manner. You're either a sheep dog or not. On a side note, we're going through a big transition from veteran officers to brand new guy with the growth of our agency. Its been eye opening to say the least. There are a lot of great people out there, just gotta find the right ones.
                            We recently lost about 40 officers of 127 in a little over two years and with it about 800 years of experience.

We are now facing what most other employers are facing in today’s job market including in the private sector. There has always been a generation gap but this one seems to be different.

When I started so many years ago, we wore our hair different, we listened to different music, we hung out at different places and so on. It was obvious that we did not exactly fit me in with the older guys. The older and more experienced officers did not like us rushing into things getting them involved when they would rather sit back and only get involved in any serious issues. For the most part it has always been like that. We all shared the common feelings of wanting to be police officers even though we saw the world through different eyes.

Now.... not so much.

We have some very good young officers. As you say, the tough part is finding them. It used to be that almost all rookie officers wanted to ride the night and evening shifts. They wanted to work the weekends to be involved in the fights, the chases, run with lights and siren and act like kids in a candy store. Now (and I am not exaggerating) the day that many new officers get cut loose from training they put in a letter to go to day shift and want weekends off and get frustrated when they don’t get it. It is hard for me to grasp the concept of wanting to be a police officer yet seeming want no part in the job.

Again, we have some dedicated and very good young officers that are every bit as enthusiastic as we were so long ago, completely inexperienced but can’t wait to get into the fight.... it is harder and harder to find them.

Maybe it is time......

Comment

i was shot at numerous times i didnt have a gun i was scared to death im no police officer no armed force guy or a crook i was just just a young boy looking for nookie funny how fast you can run thru the woods in the dark when ya have to.....

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
                                It's not just LEO either. Firefighters, too. When it gets hot and dark, they'd rather be elsewhere.
                                Oh yeah, wouldn’t wanna leave the smoke eaters out of the thread. I’m sure things get down right hard when the lights go out in the shower, when someone accidentally trips over the massage chair cord and unplugs it or when someone else beats your high score on call of duty. I’d wanna run away too once I came to the realization that rain can do my job.

Comment

Working...
                                X