Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-14-2022, 02:48 PM   #1
Hockley
Ten Point

Default Low T?

So I'm thinking about going to get tested, but have some reservations. I'm 43 and can definitely feel that I don't have the energy any longer versus 5 years ago. Number one concern is that I'm worried that this would increase your chances for Prostrate Cancer. My Dad was diagnosed with Prostrate Cancer last year and the first thing they did was put him on therapy to REMOVE Testosterone. That doesn't add up to me how a Testosterone boost is a good thing for your body.

Secondly for those who do it does insurance cover most or all of it? I have Blue Cross Blue shield. Any recommendations on places to go get checked in the West Houston area would be appreciated. Also are there other forms of treatment besides shots? I'm not big needle person....
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 02:51 PM   #2
kae006
Pope & Young

Just have your PCP order lab work and prescribe it if needed. Yes insurance will cover it and yes there are alternatives to the shots but a weekly shot at home is likely much easier and more effective than a daily gel.
kae006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 02:51 PM   #3
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Yep. Testosterone feeds Prostate Cancer. I am on hormone (estrogen) therapy for my cancer, and my testosterone level is just about nonexistent! Yes, I am tired all the time!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 02:53 PM   #4
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

If your dad has Prostate Cancer, then YOU are predisposed to (possibly) getting it someday. I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer at age 51.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 03:12 PM   #5
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

I'm in the same process right now and awaiting blood work. What I will suggest is to NOT go to any of these "Testosterone Clinics", especially the ones that advertise on Radio and TV. They DO NOT have your overall health in mind and are ONLY selling you a product. Go to your PCP and start there.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 03:13 PM   #6
RWB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Go get tested an if low get on replacement therapy it will change your life. I would encourage you to go to a dr that specializes in testosterone replacement. There is large range of "normal" for T levels. I want a Dr that keps me at the upper end of acceptable range.
My doctor is closer to Conroe so probably too far for you.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 03:27 PM   #7
Daniel32
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria County

They will do bloodwork to check your PSA levels every 3-6 months to check for prostate cancer.

I've been taking testosterone for low T for 2 years now and the overall benefits are worth it. My testosterone levels were on the low end when I started (160's) and now they are towards the higher end with weekly injections (900's).
Daniel32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 03:28 PM   #8
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

I'd first go see a Urologist and have your PSA checked if you've never done so. I'm 40 and I started getting yearly checks 2 years ago due to the history in my family. Then go have your blood done to look at your test levels. I found that my body produces good testosterone i just wasn't able to use it due to SHBG (Sex Hormone Binding Globulent). My "Free" test levels were low. Anyhow, now taking a supplement called DIM which is supposed to break the bond and allow my body to utilize my natural test again.
b.latiolais is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 03:29 PM   #9
Nate Riley
Ten Point

If you are in the Houston area check out Texas Regional Urology. They seem to be pretty good so far. My insurance covers it, but GoodRx also gets a pretty good price at some pharmacies. Regarding the shot, the first time I took one, I hem hawed around for about thirty minutes. I hated needles and the thought of a shot. Then when I took the plunge, I didn't even feel it much. Now the weekly shots are no big deal!
Nate Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 03:32 PM   #10
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

I would recommend the pellets. I've been on them for a year and a half. I had pretty bad side effects from the shots. Go in every 6 months and they check PSA levels every time.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 03:32 PM   #11
JonBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Doss, TX

I'm 39. After noticing things were just not right the last couple of years I got tested in early December. My total T was at the bottom of the acceptable range and my free testosterone was 26 (range is 36-155). My DHEA was bottomed out as well. I'm starting shots next week.

I lost 110 lbs 8 years ago and have managed to maintain the active lifestyle and weightloss. I run and lift regularly. I've noticed that recovery is harder, gains are non existent, my weight cuts are pretty much all muscle loss and no fat loss, my energy level has gone way down and I'm generally just not myself. Hoping this will help me get back to normal

Last edited by JonBoy; 01-14-2022 at 03:36 PM.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 04:02 PM   #12
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

I can’t take it due to my prostrate issues and it sux because my T is way low.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 04:16 PM   #13
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall and Ft. Bend County

My urologist said there was very little real correlation to Prostate, not prostrate, cancer from TRT. His opinion based on his experience.

Even if insurance doesn’t cover it, a 10 ml bottle is like $50 at Sam’s without insurance and that lasts 10 weeks for me.

I buy a case of needles, screw trying to chase down syringes each time you refill. For a while they were really hard to find.

Last edited by JES; 01-14-2022 at 04:25 PM.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 04:16 PM   #14
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Eldorado/big lake , presidio , tiviolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I'm in the same process right now and awaiting blood work. What I will suggest is to NOT go to any of these "Testosterone Clinics", especially the ones that advertise on Radio and TV. They DO NOT have your overall health in mind and are ONLY selling you a product. Go to your PCP and start there.
Get regular blood work from a legitimate doctor, you definitely don’t want a wonky red blood cell count = HBP and other serious things

Aetna didn’t cover my pellets, so paid out of pocket

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-14-2022 at 04:29 PM.
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 04:18 PM   #15
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall and Ft. Bend County

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
I'm 39. After noticing things were just not right the last couple of years I got tested in early December. My total T was at the bottom of the acceptable range and my free testosterone was 26 (range is 36-155). My DHEA was bottomed out as well. I'm starting shots next week.

I lost 110 lbs 8 years ago and have managed to maintain the active lifestyle and weightloss. I run and lift regularly. I've noticed that recovery is harder, gains are non existent, my weight cuts are pretty much all muscle loss and no fat loss, my energy level has gone way down and I'm generally just not myself. Hoping this will help me get back to normal
Youíll get all that back once you get settled into your routine with it. This is the fountain of youth for middle aged men.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 04:23 PM   #16
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

My insurance covers injectable, but not the pellets. But, there is $100 co-pay or something with the injectable (monthly), so it ends up being a wash. I gave $700 for pellets that last 6 months.
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 04:24 PM   #17
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

And I started with a PCP, and am going to a urologist for the testosterone treatment.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:34 PM   #18
JonBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Doss, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
Youíll get all that back once you get settled into your routine with it. This is the fountain of youth for middle aged men.
I certainly hope so. I've been told these exact same words by a few buddies who are on shots as well.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 04:37 PM   #19
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

"DO NOT take T replacement if prostate cancer runs in your family unless you want to greatly increase your chances of cancer"..

I was told exactly that by an oncologist at MDA so take it for what it is worth... My DAD lost his battle with a highly aggressive form of prostate cancer.. I won't even consider taking it now.. I am 56 and it would be nice but I'll pass..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 01-14-2022 at 04:39 PM.
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 04:39 PM   #20
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

I just pay my copay when I go. As mentinoed before make sure you go for blood work every 3 months to keep an eye on everything. Initially I didnt like the idea of having to go every three months but I now I like the idea of them sending my blood to a lab all the time just to keep an eye on everything.

I dont feel like I have more energy but I am much less irritable in the evenings than I used to be and it has helped me to put on muscle mass.

Edit: To answer your question about the shots, I take a pill for the testosterone and then the estrogen blocker so no shots for me.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 05:02 PM   #21
Hockley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
"DO NOT take T replacement if prostate cancer runs in your family unless you want to greatly increase your chances of cancer"..

I was told exactly that by an oncologist at MDA so take it for what it is worth... My DAD lost his battle with a highly aggressive form of prostate cancer.. I won't even consider taking it now.. I am 56 and it would be nice but I'll pass..
I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. This is a big concern for me. I will be doing my own research, and will probably reach out to my Dad's doctor. I should have stated that my Dad just recently had his removed and thanks to God everything turned out as well as it could have so far. They don't even think they will need to do radiation.

I say all of that to say that when he was going through all of the tests at MDA they came to the conclusion that his "form" of prostrate cancer was random for whatever that is worth, but we have had several males in our family that have had it.
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 05:05 PM   #22
Tbuddyandroby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Votaw

Lots of good information here... http://https://discussions.texasbowh...t=testosterone

Last edited by Tbuddyandroby; 01-14-2022 at 05:08 PM.
Tbuddyandroby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 05:10 PM   #23
Tbuddyandroby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Votaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
If the link don't work, search this forum for "Testosterone Therapy" Black Ice started...
Tbuddyandroby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 05:14 PM   #24
PassnItOn
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

I know you didn't ask this question but sharing because I'm just amazed with the results. If your health isn't priority, it is probably the issue. I made a drastic change over the last 6 months and am a different person. Worth every effort vs taking scripts. Amazing what a clean diet, water intake, sleep and moderate exercise can do for you.
PassnItOn is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 05:28 PM   #25
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Do not start shots or whatever to raise your T until you absolutely need to. Once you start, when you stop you'll be far worse off.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 05:45 PM   #26
ShoootLow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Most of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Riley View Post
If you are in the Houston area check out Texas Regional Urology. They seem to be pretty good so far. My insurance covers it, but GoodRx also gets a pretty good price at some pharmacies. Regarding the shot, the first time I took one, I hem hawed around for about thirty minutes. I hated needles and the thought of a shot. Then when I took the plunge, I didn't even feel it much. Now the weekly shots are no big deal!

I use Dr Hogan at TRU. Good doctor that listens and has tailored my meds to what works best for be. I switched to half dose 2x per week instead of 1x, helped level things out and avoid this highs and lows. Anastrozole helps with estrogen and havenít needed else. 650-750 is a good number for me, was 75 without it at 38 years old.
Try GoodRX at HEB, $54 for 12 weeks of T.
ShoootLow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 05:46 PM   #27
CrownKiller14
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassnItOn View Post
I know you didn't ask this question but sharing because I'm just amazed with the results. If your health isn't priority, it is probably the issue. I made a drastic change over the last 6 months and am a different person. Worth every effort vs taking scripts. Amazing what a clean diet, water intake, sleep and moderate exercise can do for you.
This is where I would start as well as getting levels checked. If you're a beer drinker defiantly could be related as well. I switched from beer to Tito's and never looked back .

Just drinking water, and moving to a low carb/gluten diet you will probably feel a difference immediately.
CrownKiller14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 05:51 PM   #28
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

I am not sure how some of us old farts survived without all this T stuff? Hopefully all you manly men are making the right call with these treatments. Speaking for myself I am not doing anything to get me back in MD Anderson if I can help it.
tps7742 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 06:08 PM   #29
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps7742 View Post
I am not sure how some of us old farts survived without all this T stuff? Hopefully all you manly men are making the right call with these treatments. Speaking for myself I am not doing anything to get me back in MD Anderson if I can help it.
How old are you?
It's definitely a nation-wide trend.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:10 PM   #30
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Quote:
I made a drastic change over the last 6 months and am a different person. Worth every effort vs taking scripts. Amazing what a clean diet, water intake, sleep and moderate exercise can do for you.
Does that diet include RC Cola and Moonpies?
Old 01-14-2022, 06:15 PM   #31
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Killer View Post
How old are you?
It's definitely a nation-wide trend.
To each their own is how I look at it even though I knpw my statements sounded like a SA.
tps7742 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 06:35 PM   #32
RedBear78
Eight Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Do not start shots or whatever to raise your T until you absolutely need to. Once you start, when you stop you'll be far worse off.
This has been my experience.I had moderate low T but had exhaustion turns out I had Lyme disease and adrenal failure.I got those finally turned around or at least under control,but my body is use to the T injections so I have to stay on them.Iíd suggest a better diet and supplements if you havenít tried that.Also have your cortisol and other hormones checked there may be something else causing the lowT that can be fixed first.
RedBear78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 07:01 PM   #33
PassnItOn
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Killer View Post
Does that diet include RC Cola and Moonpies?
I thought those were pretty specific items til i saw the other thread!
PassnItOn is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 07:04 PM   #34
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Quote:
I thought those were pretty specific items til i saw the other thread!
Old 01-14-2022, 07:10 PM   #35
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

If you go to one of them Testosterone doctors I promise your numbers will be low. Go to you pcp for lab work, the other is just a racket.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 07:47 PM   #36
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I’ve been on the pellets for two years with no issues.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 08:27 PM   #37
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps7742 View Post
This^^I hate that place!!!!!!!!!
I never even heard of this T replacement until about 15 years ago. My personal physician was pushing it big time back then.. He was all about it.
He will not touch the stuff now. He told me that I would have to find a new Dr if I wanted it, I don't. When I asked why the change of heart he said the that a 10 year study came out in the American Journalof Medicine, on the long term affects, and that none of their findings were good at all.. He quit peddling it then and there..

Honestly it is just a huge money grab by big pharma..
Due to America now being the fatest country on the planet, they saw a huge market and pounced...
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 08:47 PM   #38
BowCrazy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnack Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
I would recommend the pellets. I've been on them for a year and a half. I had pretty bad side effects from the shots. Go in every 6 months and they check PSA levels every time.
Where do you get your pellets? I'm in Gilmer and the place that did them closed down. I was using Bio-T. I'd drive to Tyler if I had to.

Thanks
BowCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 09:19 PM   #39
Kirks55
Nubbin' Buck

It was a night and day difference. I was low 200s. Put lbs on like crazy. The doc tinkered with my levels and they are on point. I’m down over 80 lbs and slowly packing on muscle. I do weekly injections. I go to a pcp and make sure to keep up with all blood work. I know some have said about the draw backs, but there are studies out that shows t replacement is actually very health beneficial besides libido.
Kirks55 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 09:59 PM   #40
Mitchell8
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Just my .02. Our diets are really different in this era with all the hormones added to meats. Low t is affecting more of us 20-50 yo than 50-80 because of our diet growing up. Hormones and carcinogens are everywhere currently so your cancer risk is elevated regardless. Steps I’m taking after testing with low T.
Get my weight to normal. 6’2” under 200lbs
Reduce sugar intake dramatically
Workout 3-5x a week.
Reduce alcohol intake
If by this month I am still super low I’ll take T therapy. Once you get on there’s no coming off and being “normal”. I’m under 200 lbs now and workout enough. My contributing factor is I’m a Firefighter so I get interrupted sleep 2-3x a week plus I have 4 kids. Firefighter shift with def contributes to low T though. Forgot to add first start trying zma vitamins. Way cheaper than T therapy without increased cancer risk
Mitchell8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2022, 12:24 AM   #41
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Broke parent kids baseball club

I do the shots. Did pellets until my insurance stopped covering them. Think Iím going on around year 15 on TRT. Get my PSA levels checked twice a year. I donít pay much, like $20 for 6-8 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2022, 06:46 PM   #42
thehairlessone!
Ten Point

Hunt In: <---- Top Secret!

I have been doing the shots for years. Not a big deal and inexpensive. Get bloodwork twice a year. I have a good dr. Now but I had to go to a couple to get a good one. Some are too loose with the prescriptions and some are too strict.

Was tired all the time. Friend of mine told me to get it checked and it was pretty low. Huge energy difference.

Rick
thehairlessone! is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2022, 07:12 PM   #43
41Chevy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Canada, Mexico (One time only)

Total T. And she'll like it too.��
41Chevy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top