Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-13-2022, 11:59 PM   #1
spread5150
Ten Point

Hunt In: West Texas, East Texas, Central Texas, South Texas
Default Black Eagle Rampage

I got a couple Black Eagle Rampage arrows with my new bow and I had never heard anything about them. They have a 50 grain outsert and they seem to be a great flying arrow. I normally shoot an FMJ and I mostly hunt pigs with a whitetail or mule deer here and there. 30-40 yards max.

I shoot a 29.5 inch draw and 100 grain broadhead out of a 250 spine arrow on my 75 lb matthews.

I canít find a lot on these arrows other than an occasional user on here chiming in they are good arrows.

Would this arrow get through the biggest pigs 200-300lbs ? I never had problems with my FMJs. So far Iím impressed with how accurate they are. Just wondering how they will do with Mega Pig.
spread5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 12:16 AM   #2
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown
Default Black Eagle Rampage

75 pounds at 29.5Ē of draw length will get a tooth pick through a big pig.

Seriously, they are good arrows but are overshadowed by the newer Spartan thatís essentially the same diameter and uses a conventional insert system.

muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 12:18 AM   #3
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Searching.

Good question. This is what I shoot, albeit I don't get to shoot as often as I would like. I would feel confident t in the setup. I have a 28.5" dl and shooting 70 lbs. I also went with the 250s because of the overall weight is 623 gr. They fly fantastic... 125 gr broadhead with 4 fletch and ethics archery 145 gr spinning insert. Really good arrow!

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 12:51 AM   #4
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

I just went to BE rampages this year from shooting carbon express the last 12 years. I have been happy with them. Killed one deer so far this season so I don’t have much killing experience with them.

My set up is a bowtech solution at 29” and 70lbs. I’m shooting 300’s with the 100 gr FOCOS outsert and 100 gr heads. Comes in at 475 gr total weight. I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot at a big hog with this set up especially with a quality fixed blade screwed on.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 08:25 AM   #5
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Voca, Jasper county, newton county and sabine county
Default Black eagle

Im not a fan of rampage arrows.. I broke 7 this year. This one broke on impact on a good size pigs leg.. I found chunks of bone on the blood trail.. no recovery.
Attached Images

jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 08:51 AM   #6
spread5150
Ten Point

Hunt In: West Texas, East Texas, Central Texas, South Texas

Yikes
spread5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 08:51 AM   #7
easeup
Ten Point

what will 75lb of thrust not go thru?
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 09:55 AM   #8
jds247
Ten Point

My number one criteria is structural integrity.. if an arrow blows up on impact it doesn't matter if you make it 1000 grains it's not gonna kill.. I've shot Elk ,deer Large hogs with 450 grain arrow out of my 74 lb bow and had no problems getting pass throughs. Even hard quartering away where the arrow came out the opposite shoulder blade.. Sirius Apollos are decent Easton Axis are tough too..
Old 01-14-2022, 09:58 AM   #9
Beargrasstx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I get permission or invited; public land, western states

Been shooting rampages for 2 years now. Taken a few hogs and 1 buck no issues. Not sure how the one fellow is having his rampages break unless he isn't getting penetration and I don't know an root that won't break by an animals leg running

I shoot a 560 gr arrow so far pass throughs
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 10:27 AM   #10
jds247
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
Been shooting rampages for 2 years now. Taken a few hogs and 1 buck no issues. Not sure how the one fellow is having his rampages break unless he isn't getting penetration and I don't know an root that won't break by an animals leg running

I shoot a 560 gr arrow so far pass throughs
I have 4 out of a dozen left . I've killed 16 animals this year so far. I usually have to look for my arrows 10 to 15 yards past where the animals are standing.. I'm not sure how adding weight would solve the issue of a thin walled arrow .
Old 01-14-2022, 12:29 PM   #11
kd350
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Regan wells, fedor, paige

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds247 View Post
I have 4 out of a dozen left . I've killed 16 animals this year so far. I usually have to look for my arrows 10 to 15 yards past where the animals are standing.. I'm not sure how adding weight would solve the issue of a thin walled arrow .
Are you using the half out or a insert/collar system? I’ve seen axis crack when using just HIT system but never like that

For the record, haven’t had that happen with the Spartans.

Last edited by kd350; 01-14-2022 at 12:33 PM.
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 12:39 PM   #12
jds247
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd350 View Post
Are you using the half out or a insert/collar system? I’ve seen axis crack when using just HIT system but never like that

For the record, haven’t had that happen with the Spartans.
That one was with the half out with 2 screw in weights insert is about 2 inches long . However that's 8 inches up the arrow. The arrow made a thud and fell to the ground .
I've had brass inserts without a collar break the end of the axis from side pressure on a hard quartering shot.. I know there’s not a arrow made that won't break but that was a 10 yard direct hit . The arrow splintered.
Spartans are thicker walled correct ?

Last edited by jds247; 01-14-2022 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:49 PM   #13
kd350
Pope & Young

Quote:
That one was with the half out with 2 screw in weights insert is about 2 inches long . However that's 8 inches up the arrow. The arrow made a thud and fell to the ground .
I've had brass inserts without a collar break the end of the axis from side pressure on a hard quartering shot.. I know thereís not a arrow made that won't break but that was a 10 yard direct hit . The arrow splintered.
Spartans are thicker walled correct ?
Yes sir. Using a standard insert and having a nock bushing beef it up as well, a bit heavier gpi doesnít hurt either

Iíll look for the pictures, but I shot a pig a couple years ago right at first light and ended up hitting both knuckles, broke them and the front of the arrow was fine, only part that broke was the parts that her legs hit. (Broke into 3 pieces)
Old 01-14-2022, 12:52 PM   #14
kd350
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes sir. Using a standard insert and having a nock bushing beef it up as well, a bit heavier gpi doesnít hurt either

Iíll look for the pictures, but I shot a pig a couple years ago right at first light and ended up hitting both knuckles, broke them and the front of the arrow was fine, only part that broke was the parts that her legs hit. (Broke into 3 pieces)

The only ďfailureĒ on the front of the arrow was the insert slipped. But on such a hard impact shot, somethingís gotta give

Name:  IMG_0688.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  584.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0691.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  500.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0693.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  308.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-14-2022, 01:27 PM   #15
jds247
Ten Point

Quote:
The only “failure” on the front of the arrow was the insert slipped. But on such a hard impact shot, something’s gotta give

Attachment 1077221
Attachment 1077222
Attachment 1077223

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I feel like I would have pushed through that bone had the arrow held up . I've made the same shot with Apollos and axis without issue. Animals snapping an arrow falling or running happens. It's impossible to prevent.. I'll give the Spartans a look next time I'm at the bow shop.
I would say that's probably the first catastrophic failure I've had on an arrow. I've had several just break from animals running or hitting the feeder etc..

Last edited by jds247; 01-14-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:45 PM   #16
kd350
Pope & Young

Quote:
I feel like I would have pushed through that bone had the arrow held up . I've made the same shot with Apollos and axis without issue. Animals snapping an arrow falling or running happens. It's impossible to prevent.. I'll give the Spartans a look next time I'm at the bow shop.
I would say that's probably the first catastrophic failure I've had on an arrow. I've had several just break from animals running or hitting the feeder etc..
Iím sure if I was shooting a better broadhead it woulda went completely through, that thunderhead didnít hold up so well, but did go through and ended up just under the skin. Being so thin walled/light gpi doesnít help with durability. Iíve had Carnivores break just by shooting groups and they slap together
Old 01-14-2022, 02:18 PM   #17
cgsrfr
Four Point

Hunt In: San Saba

I shoot the Rampage and have had no issues with them. Pigs, Deer, Axis. I use Rage broad heads and they get the job done.
cgsrfr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 03:04 PM   #18
Shut Em Down
Four Point

Love rampages. Good diameter arrow with good long range accuracy. I use .001/250 spine out of my Ventum 33 at 80lbs and 30" draw. 299fps with a 500 grain arrow. They have performed well for me at local 3D shoots and excellent out in the field hunting.
Shut Em Down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 03:17 PM   #19
jlp04c
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsrfr View Post
I shoot the Rampage and have had no issues with them. Pigs, Deer, Axis. I use Rage broad heads and they get the job done.
This^ My rampage with the half/half shooting out of a 74lb elite enkore at 29.5", with a rage hypodermic on the end of it has been lethal! I've shot several animals with same arrow, only thing I've broke is the rage and the knock (nocturnal) shaft has been g2g.
jlp04c is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top