Property Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property Lines

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to determine property lines. i have a friend whom inherited access to land and a cabin from his late father, and we don't really know how much he has.The caretaker that lived on the property passed away recently so we'd really like to know what our boundaries are before investing time and money into hunting setups. And of course we don't want to be stepping on anyone elses feet either. Ive done some looking on the internet and find nothing that gets me anywhere. We are trying to determine who's name the property taxes are in, with the possibility of this leading somewhere. We would really just like to see topographical boundaries on the new if possible.

I would check to see if the appraisal district has a website and if not go to the appraisal district office.
    Smith county has a website that you can search by name of tax payer or you can search by map

Comment

You may need to start by searching his personal records to see if he had the property tax bill.....would make your search a lot easier.

Comment

The county appraisal district will be a start. They may have an old survey or at least the deed volume and page reference. Get a copy of the deed from the county clerk's office and hope that it has a good metes and bounds description.

If not, you could hire a surveyor.
        Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

yep

Originally posted by Devin View Post
          The county appraisal district will be a start. They may have an old survey or at least the deed volume and page reference. Get a copy of the deed from the county clerk's office and hope that it has a good metes and bounds description.

this!

Comment

I am confused. If he inherited the land there should be a legal description of the property in the will. The way I read your post suggest that he inherited access to property that someone else owned and the late father had permission to use. If indeed he did inherit property there should be a metal pin or some other type marker on the corners. Like others have said the tax office is the best place to start or go meet the neighbors. If you are planning on hunting I would meet the neighbors first just in case i had to track an animal onto their property. Always pays to be on good terms with the people next to you.

Comment

Did he inherite the land or just the access??

The county Central appraisal district is your place to start.

It will list by name anyone that owns property as recorded in county records.

Many counties also give you a general map of the outline of the property

Example

Go to http://www.madisoncad.org/ click on property search

type in the last name or street name I typed in hwy 21

On the far right side there is a button that says view map.

I did that on the first name and this came up and it shows the general property boundries.

The one for my land is accurate.

I am not posting anything that is not in public information.

Many County have this. Same info as in posted #2 jsut a bit more detailed.

Comment

Originally posted by Devin View Post

this

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                  I am confused. If he inherited the land there should be a legal description of the property in the will. The way I read your post suggest that he inherited access to property that someone else owned and the late father had permission to use. If indeed he did inherit property there should be a metal pin or some other type marker on the corners. Like others have said the tax office is the best place to start or go meet the neighbors. If you are planning on hunting I would meet the neighbors first just in case i had to track an animal onto their property. Always pays to be on good terms with the people next to you.
                  There may not be a will, or the property may not even be referenced in the will.

The "access to property" thing has me thrown. OP needs to shed a little light on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                    Did he inherite the land or just the access??

The county Central appraisal district is your place to start.

It will list by name anyone that owns property as recorded in county records.

Many counties also give you a general map of the outline of the property

Example

Go to http://www.madisoncad.org/ click on property search

type in the last name or street name I typed in hwy 21

On the far right side there is a button that says view map.

I did that on the first name and this came up and it shows the general property boundries.

The one for my land is accurate.

I am not posting anything that is not in public information.

Many County have this. Same info as in posted #2 jsut a bit more detailed.

Thanks I'm going to look my father n laws property up in Madisonville.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion guys. Long story short he inherited the cabin that his late father had been in the process of build on family land. The land itself is in the "family". My friend did not speak to his father very often so he wasn't very familiar with the property. He had only visited the property a few times as a kid several years ago. Ive tried inputting the address in the county assessors data base but it doesn't register. I spoke to a friend who is a realtor and he said its possible that we may not be able to get accurate information on the actual boundaries depending on when or if they were documented in the counties data system.
                      We are going to try to stop at the county assessors on the way to the property on Thursday.

Comment

What county?

Comment

Type in the family name

Comment

Lafayette County Arkansas 71860

Family name gave no result!

Comment

Arkansas counties are slightly different in the way they handle their records. Stop at the AD office when you can. Before you go, you need to find out how the property is taxed (who owns the tract by record title, not the individual/entity paying the taxes).

AD should be able to give you a deed reference at a minimum, which can lead you to metes and bounds. If I remember correctly, Lafayette County still has "blue line" plats you can buy, which should show the property's boundary lines fairly accurately. Finding them on the ground can be a different challenge all together.

Comment

Working...
                              X