Pop-up or climber on public land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop-up or climber on public land?

This will be my first year/time to hunt public land, I'm defiantly looking forward to it. My question is should I use my pop-up blind or invest in a climber? I'm accustomed to sitting in a tripod, I've only used my pop-up a few times so it's a new deal to me any way. I like the movement and cover the pop-up allows, but is it practical in public hunting situations? So what should I go with and why?

i do both...if you have kids...pop up is the way to go...when Im alone I use the climber...had success in both. Check the rules and regs for the area you are wanting hunt...ive hunted places (in other states) that had restrictions on climbers and the protection of the tree...good luck

Comment

LB, it would depend upon the public land and the rules. I'm not fond of pop-ups, I have one but never really used it. Most of the folks that use them say to brush them in well, and leave them out so the deer can become accostomed to them, both of which isn't allowed on the public land I frequent unless you can find a lot of dead brush. And even if you are able leave it out, someone will probably steal it. I've used a climber most of the time, able to pack it in and out fairly easy, don't need for the deer to get "used" to it.

Comment

As mentioned above, check the rules for where you plan to hunt. I've used climbers long before pop- ups where popular, but now I use both. However, I still prefer climbers. If you every make it to the McKinney area you can borrow one of my API climbers.

Just PM me.

Comment

WLGIV, which api stands are you using? thanks for the offer i may have to take you up on it, kind of a try before i buy.

Comment

climber

Most of public land is so thick that you ca'nt see very far. You have to get up a tree to be able to see. Summit Viper is the way to go. Lite and very mobile.

Comment

Messaged this to someone asking about hunting public lands with pop-up or climber, so thought it applied here too.

As for blind vs. climbing tree stand, if you have never been in one bow hunting there is an amazing difference. I started off in a ground blind like you are saying, but quickly realized how much less I can see, how restrictive it is to shoot a bow in, and nothing came around because NO MATTER how much you brushed it in, if soomething is different the deer will notice it! Especially since it cant stay out more than 72 hours (LBJ) and if it did you probably would lose it cause it would walk off. As soon as I got my climbing tree stand I had does and babies walking 15 feet from my tree. Got mine on sale at Cabelas for like $214.
              P.S. Practice before going out and trying to climb a tree in the dark...

Comment

I would use both. When hunting at fort hood, I used a pop up blind to position for crappy weather. Then i would set a treestand depending on wind. Its a good way to stay dry if its raining while your hunting.

Comment

Climbers are limited as to where they can be used. You must have lots of limb-less trees in the area or a climber will be useless. If that's the case you'll have to go to a chain-on stand with screw-in tree steps,climbing sticks,or whatever it takes to get up and into the chain-on. Seems like more and more guys are going with the climbing sticks these days when using a chain-on. I only hunt public land n.e.Texas and use a climber. When I find a "deery" looking spot in the woods I just hope n pray it has a limbless tree nearby(and that said tree is not infested with poison oak all the way to the top)

Comment

Originally posted by lunatic'hunter View Post
                    Most of public land is so thick that you ca'nt see very far. You have to get up a tree to be able to see. Summit Viper is the way to go. Lite and very mobile.
                    x2 on the Summit Viper...great climbers!

Originally posted by buzzcut View Post
                    ...and that said tree is not infested with poison oak all the way to the top)
                    been there, done that...didn't even get a free t-shirt!!

Comment

is this the Viper stand

Comment

Spend the few extra dollars and get the Summit Viper SD. It only weighs 20 lbs, and it is very comfortable (I have fallen asleep multiple times in mine, lol). I started hunting public land in a pop up, and as stated above, quickly realized that I was very limited. I immediately purchased a climber and was able to see everything around me. Hope this helps.

Comment

Bought a lone wolf sit and climb last year. Worked great, real light, but i had to be awfully choosy about what size tree i could climb. Tried setting up a pop up, but unless you want to leave it out there, chances are youll get busted.

Sometime before the season hits im going to order a Ghost Blind... then i wont have to brush in the darn thing.

Comment

Originally posted by low bass View Post
                            WLGIV, which api stands are you using? thanks for the offer i may have to take you up on it, kind of a try before i buy.
                            I have two Grand Slam Supreme's rated for 350 lbs. No they are not the lightest (weigh 30 lbs), but I have not been disappointed with them and you are welcome to take me up on my offer before you make a decision to purchase whatever you decide to go with

Comment

I stopped using climbers years ago. I use a tree saddle and the guido's web is also good. They are the most versatile and you can set up in ANY tree. Perfect for public land hunts. Just takes practice to set up comfortable. Super stable to shoot out of. Make sure if your gonna use screw in steps its legal on public land where your going.

Comment

Working...
                              X