Lake Mineral Wells State Park Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Mineral Wells State Park Hunt

Got drawn there for GDE in December. Just wondering if anyone else on here got picked and if anyone been on a hunt there before and could tell me anything about the place .

Can't help with any deer info, but we went kayaking on the lake there a few weeks ago, beautiful area.

Comment

My son and I drew the archery hunt in early December. I've never been to the park though, so I can't tell you anything about it.

Comment

Congrats on the draw
        Plenty of deer in the park. I camp there often, always see plenty of deer. Never seen giant trophies, but plenty of animals to choose from. Also quite a few pigs.

Whether you stay in the park or stay in town, great place for a greasy delicious burger is woodys. It’s on the highway on the way into town. Cooked on a flat top. They serve beer too.
        Great lake to fish on or canoe/kayak on too

Comment

Originally posted by Yak blue View Post
          Congrats on the draw
          Plenty of deer in the park. I camp there often, always see plenty of deer. Never seen giant trophies, but plenty of animals to choose from. Also quite a few pigs.

Whether you stay in the park or stay in town, great place for a greasy delicious burger is woodys. It’s on the highway on the way into town. Cooked on a flat top. They serve beer too.
          Great lake to fish on or canoe/kayak on too
          Thanks! I’m planning to stay in the Park and sounds like I need to bring a fishing pole too. The burger sounds good too! I was lucky to draw an archery hunt at Abilene state park about 7-8 years ago. Had a great time there! Looking forward to this one!

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
            Thanks! I’m planning to stay in the Park and sounds like I need to bring a fishing pole too. The burger sounds good too! I was lucky to draw an archery hunt at Abilene state park about 7-8 years ago. Had a great time there! Looking forward to this one!
            Congratulations marshman, that is a scenic area, and you kinda forget you are in North TX. Good luck.

Comment

I did this hunt maybe a decade ago. There are plenty of deer to chose from. They will transport you to a blind and location and give you corn. They also have pre-corned the spots.

I ended up taking a couple doe. My day shot what he thought was a doe and ended up being a spike. Later in the hunt as Murphy would call, he say a high 130 - low 140 deer. Already tagged out though.

The staff is really accommodating.

They either hunt down in the trail systems area or over on the other side of the lake. If you have your choice, opt for the trails system area.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                My son and I drew the archery hunt in early December. I've never been to the park though, so I can't tell you anything about it.
                Congratulations on drawing archery hunt. Good luck to you both. Please do a thread on here when y’all go!

Comment

I was on a management hunt some years back. Take you a comfortable chair. The blinds only had a 5 gallon bucket to sit on. Most blinds I saw were a 3 sided plywood. Mine was set up right off the edge of one of the park roads. They said they had been Corning the spots 2 weeks prior the hunt then would throw out a big coffee can of corn when they dropped you off. Think I could only hunt that first afternoon and the next morning cause I didn’t have any more vacation time. I ended up shooting a doe right before the 10am pick up time.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                    Congratulations on drawing archery hunt. Good luck to you both. Please do a thread on here when y’all go!

I love the hunt threads. Their hunt will not be in the same part of the park as your hunt so it will be fun to hear about, but won’t have any impact on your hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post

Y’all should have fun and are virtually certain to get some opportunities. FYI, I don’t think you’ll be able to camp at the park for your hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We camped in one of the screen shelters during our hunt. They didn’t h7nt the campground area when we hunted there.

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X