Need some advice on hunting Axis deer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice on hunting Axis deer.

I got an invitation for a 3 day hunt next week at a ranch that is located between Camp Wood and Cherry Springs, Northwest of Uvalde. This is a DIY hunt without a guide, pretty much is "Here is the map of the property and stand locations". I don't have experience on hunting axis deer and would like some pointers. I am used to hunting whitetails here in South Texas and do the usual morning and evening hunts from a deer blind. I'm not familiar with this area but I have a friend that is also going that was there a couple of months ago. He was telling me that it is a pretty big ranch, that he hunted from a stand the last time but this time he wants to do some walking and glassing. We will be hunting with a rifle and my friend is also taking his bow.

Put out some Alfalfa and they will come to you

Comment

And sweet feed.

Comment

They want leafy fresh alfalfa right now and they will find it quickly! If one busts you they will all leave out like lightning!

Comment

Oh, I hope you have an awesome hunt ! And , their heart sets lower than a whitetail but that really doesn’t matter if you Neck Them :-)

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Is there a place near Uvalde where I can get alfalfa bales. Also do you guys recommend sitting in a stand morning/evenings and do some walking and glassing during the day.

Comment

I'd sit in a stand, all day. Free range axis are spooking than whitetails and travel in herds so lots of eyes looking for danger.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                They want leafy fresh alfalfa right now and they will find it quickly! If one busts you they will all leave out like lightning!
                A few questions for the Alfalfa. How do you present it, do you leave it in the bale or bust it open? Can you use it year round? And, provided you have a good Axis herd, how many days do you think it will take them to find it?

Comment

I see more axis movement mid day than mornings or afternoons. Ask owner/ranch manager about any travel routes the axis are using.

Comment

Find the water holes. They'll hit those morning and evening usually. You can put alfalfa out near water and do well.

Still hunting can be really effective too, especially with a rifle. It's tough to stalk within bow range, as there are usually lots of eyes, ears and noses in a herd. But if you can locate a single buck by himself, you can get pretty close if you have good cover and you're slow and careful.

Start at the downwind side of your pasture. Listen for axis does and for buck bellows. They're pretty vocal, so you can locate them by sound sometimes. Go SLOWLY into the wind. Stay in the shade and in cover as much as possible. Take just a couple steps at a time, stop and glass as far ahead and all around as you can see. Glass into the brush and shadows and look for legs, ears, red hide, antlers..... Take a couple more steps and glass the new angles and holes in the brush. Keep going slow and glassing like that, and you'll eventually see the axis before they see you. If you move slowly, you have a good chance of them not noticing you before you see them. If you go into the wind, they won't smell you. Once you find them, go super slow. Locate the buck and get into shooting range, but be careful of all the does' eyes.

You can also call using an Easy Axis call that sounds like a buck bellow. An Axis Reel or Hoochie Mama is good for doe sounds. And you can rattle them up as well. All of that is more fun that hunting a blind. But if you want to kill one with a bow, hunting a blind near water and/or feed is your best bet.

Comment

Working...
                    X