Walk-in Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walk-in Cooler

Has anyone buit an inexpensive walk--in cooler? Any plans or ideas?

Aged venison is tender and tastes great.

a well insulated shed or metal building with a big a/c unit

Comment

Here's the one that Tink, Texas Taxi, and Les use. It seems to work o.k.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
        Here's the one that Tink, Texas Taxi, and Les use. It seems to work o.k.

I think Les uses the 90 quart??

Comment

I don't know about cheap, but I know where to get 4'x9'x2" metal-Styrofoam-metal insulated panels, $75 a sheet...... They are interlocking and make good cooler wall/ceiling/floors.

Comment

Mason

That is more in line with what I'm talking about. I want to be able to dry age the venison for at least two weeks before packaging.

Thanks, Chew...I've got two big white saltwater coolers but don't want to have to change the ice. Soaking pulls too much of the flavor out for my taste. I did that last year, it's ok but not the best.

Comment

I hunted a ranch one time where they had built a walk in cooler. It was very simple, just a very well insulated shed with a 110 window unit mounted in the wall, kept running all the time. It would get that shed down to about 38 degrees, which is perfect for hanging meat. The main thing is to keep it relatively small (6'x6') and insulate the living heck out of it.

Comment

If you use a window unit,you will have to modify the control system.If not,the unit will freeze up and the box will get hot.I have used a modified unit on a home made cooler for years without a problem.

Comment

We used an old refrigerated delivery truck at my last lease. Cut the box off the frame and set it up on a cinderblock foundation. One of the guys on the lease had it in his backyard and donated to the club in exchange for his lease dues.

Comment

consider used restaurant equipment. I had a trailer load of used equipment and could not find a buyer for any of it. Dealers told me there was a glut of equipment on the market. I took the whole load to the salvage yard and sold the metal. I've seen nice reach in stainless coolers used for less than an A/C unit.

Comment

We have an home made 8x4x8 walkin cooler with a modified 12,000BTU window unit that works great.Maintains 34 degrees @any ambient temp.Has worked for years.Control tstat has to be replaced with an electronic coil temp. control

Comment

old reefer truck is what we use

Comment

We bought an old horse trailer lined it with 4 inch styrafoam and put ac unit in it or when we took in to the woods about 50lbs dry ice

Comment

How do you go about modifying a window unit to work for this?

Trailboss

Comment

DO you have electronics background?

Comment

Working...
                              X