No announcement yet.

Tankless water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have three tankless rinnais in our house and would never go back!

Comment

Why not electric?

Comment

I commented on your other thread. I really like my Takagi and wouldnt go back to a tank.

Others have mentioned, you might need to adjust your nat gas line and vent in the upgrade to tankless.

Comment

Make sure gas supply is sized correctly and make sure water is clean and soft. Oh, and that the tankless is sized properly for your house’s fixtures. Romani and Navien both make good units. Not sure if they have caught back up. I know run so was hard to get in the early summer due to the freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
            Why not electric?
            Power requirements for electric are not friendly. This depends on size but for whole house. I think it was like two or three 60 amp breakers per heater.

Comment

Originally posted by The hog hunter View Post
              Navien tankless water heater is the best on the market
              That’s what my builder said as well and what we have in our new house. We have 2, one on each end of the house. So far so good.

Comment

Tankless.. Until it breaks. Then you'll regret it. Look inside one, not exactly simple. But if you get one that doesn't break it's awesome.

Ours is right next to master bath/shower where 90% of our hot water is used. Not sure how efficient one would be to run a full house needing hot water on other side of the house.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                  Why not electric?
                  People keep saying this but I've used electric for close to 30 years in multiple houses with no problems and very low electric bills. Yeah, they have 2 40 amp breakers but both heating banks are seldom on at one time. The gas models use a lot of gas and it's expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    Tankless.. Until it breaks. Then you'll regret it. Look inside one, not exactly simple. But if you get one that doesn't break it's awesome.

Ours is right next to master bath/shower where 90% of our hot water is used. Not sure how efficient one would be to run a full house needing hot water on other side of the house.
                    You must be a computer guy. They are dead simple in design. If you have a problem, it's probably a metering wire and you can change that your self.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                      People keep saying this but I've used electric for close to 30 years in multiple houses with no problems and very low electric bills. Yeah, they have 2 40 amp breakers but both heating banks are seldom on at one time. The gas models use a lot of gas and it's expensive.
                      I think the issue is the electric isn’t conducive to adding after the house is built as it isn’t easy to add capacity and load runs to your loadcenter.

My gas bill is usually +/-$25 a month, and most of that is meter charge. My dryer and furnace are also gas.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                        That’s what my builder said as well and what we have in our new house. We have 2, one on each end of the house. So far so good.
                        Curious why you have 2. The Navien 210A I just installed in my new build has a circulation pump. Any hot water valve in the house has hot water in about 2 seconds. I figured the wait time is why you have two, but its not really needed.

Comment

electric works great

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                          We have a Scheiben electric tankless heater in the Cabin and the same one in the house. 2 high-amp breakers. Both work...... GREAT. Electric bills are low.

Comment

Well, I'm building and if extra breakers are the only problem with electric, so what. I also plan to put one at each place needed and where I can get to them easily for repair. Any other thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                              Curious why you have 2. The Navien 210A I just installed in my new build has a circulation pump. Any hot water valve in the house has hot water in about 2 seconds. I figured the wait time is why you have two, but its not really needed.
                              Idk, the builder designed it that way. Both of my Naviens are 240A….so I’m not sure if they are different or even have circulation pumps? I guess not, since even having 2 of them it takes longer than that for hot water 🤔

Comment

I installed a NG Rinnai about 10 years ago and it was one of the best additions to the house I have done.

As already stated, need to make sure of good water and large enough gas supply. Most gas tank water heaters only have 1/2 ran to them and the whole home NG tankless usually need at least 3/4. That was fun running the 3/4.

I suggest going for it.

J

Comment

Working...
                                X