Belize anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belize anyone?

Looking at taking the family on a scuba vacation for Spring Break. Belize seems to be a good place but know nothing about it. Any pointers or advice?

Thanks
    Dwayne

If you are open to other destinations I would say check out Bonaire.

We haven’t been to Belize but have dived Bonaire twice. Very easy diving and a lot of nice reefs. Can do either shore walk-in dives or boat dives. Had good food at the Divi resort and walking into town. You can get a direct flight down from Houston on United. On the last trip we had a day without diving before flying out. We rented a car and drove the island.

We didn’t explore the night life side of things. After 3 or 4 dives a day we weren’t looking for a party scene. We did a night dive off the resort pier that was a good experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know much about Belize unfortunately, but I heard it's very friendly to Americans. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Comment

If you goto Belize i would say stay on an island. Didnt feel safe on mainland

Comment

Good info all … keep it coming.

Comment

Belize was great for the $. We stayed on Ambergris Caye. Exchange rate was easy 2 Belizean dollar to 1 USD. Almost every one speaks at least some English. You'll need a golf cart - no vehicles unless you are a business owner. Beliken beer is fantastic. Fryjacks are amazing. The bakeries are amazing. CAT Belize Mayaland Tours is spectacular for snorkeling, cave tubing or tours to Mayan ruins and Guatemala. Rafa (the owner) has become a personal friend. He is licensed on the island to carry a firearm, trains the local police and shoots competitively. He's Belizean but lived in Texas for a decade or so in the restaurant industry. He literally knows everyone on the Caye and they all know him. Stay on the main roads with the exception of the cart ride to Secret Beach. A block or two off the main strip and you quickly realize how different things are. Feel free to ask more questions if you decide to go. I have an extensive restaurant list and places to see.

Brian

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Went to Belize in early July. First time there and had an awesome time. Wife and I fished, snorkeled the 2nd largest reef in the world, spearfished, and did a sailboat to caye caulker. We stayed on Ambergris Caye which was about a 20min rode on a cessa island Hopper, and it is very American friendly as they rely on tourism. Just about everywhere takes American money and has a 2:1 conversion rate so easy to purchase things.
              You rent a golf cart and use it for all transportation. We always felt safe, but don't do anything you wouldn't do in areas of Houston like go looking for trouble after dark. We went during lobster fest so of course the dining was amazing.

Comment

Belize is awesome. We went for a long honeymoon there. Didn’t go or stay at a single place that the people weren’t friendly. Everything is fairly cheap if you’re on the mainland. Blue Marlin and Coco Plum were some islands we went to that are awesome for snorkeling and fishing. Stayed at Belizean Dreams right outside Hopkins. Lots of the towns look like dumps, but the people were all nice, even several hours inland. Heck we ate in a woman’s house one day. Tourism is the main or second main income (maybe citrus farming that is top. One or the other) for the country so you get treated right everywhere. We Heard nothing but good things about ambergris caye when we were down there also. More touristy but still nice. Also, anywhere you go down there, just like Mexico and other places, they’ll get you hooked up for fishing and snorkeling or whatever else once you’re there. I wouldn’t worry about booking any trips in advance other then where you’re staying.

Comment

There were lots of scuba divers using a shop out of Hopkins while we were there also

Comment

Thanks everyone…. Green Screen Rules!

Dwayne you

Comment

While you're at it you should take them to Spain for Thanksgiving:

Comment

Wife did a work thing on Caye Caulker and had a great time.

Comment

Belize is beautiful, as Glen mentioned you want to stay in one of the island resorts, NOT on the mainland

Comment

Caye Caulker is my favorite place on earth.

Proposed to my wife there. Let us know what it's like post covid!

Comment

Like others said....not on the mainland. Depart the plane and walk through one door to the smaller plane to go to Ambergris Caye. You can take a ferry but it takes about 45 minutes. Both of my trips there were fantastic. Very laid back. Find a nice place to stay.

Comment

Working...
                              X