No announcement yet.

2021 Hurricane Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew up in Denham Springs have friends and family hunkered down.I’m gathering up saws skid steers and generators I guess I’ll be in the mother land next week.I did relief work after Katrina and saw the destruction I’m dreading what it’s gonna be like again.Lots of prayers sent for everyone in the path and off shore working.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
      No offense brother —- one positive thing about Hurricanes and other natural disasters … scientists, architects, and engineers can learn from the damage created and what structures survived. Simulators and classroom computers can only predict so much. Real world experiences are what teach us the most about catastrophic weather conditions.

Post Katrina, parts of New Orleans and surrounding communities were w/out power for 45+ days. Electricity once routed by above ground power lines and utility poles, were buried underground. IF loss of electricity is minimal in NOLA during Ida, then that decision to re-route old school utilities will have worked.
      100% learn from mistakes!
      During hurricane dolly our water supply for port Mansfield got contaminated, it’s still contaminated to this day I will bet if
      Tourists knew what they are bathing in and drinking? Big yuck

Comment

Hey Blake,
        Y’all okay?

Comment

I’m fine Mr Tim, thx for asking. Just went outside to walk my daughters dog …. conditions are windy with light drizzle. I’m expecting 12 more hours of wind/rain from the outer bands.

Comment

I’m fine Mr Tim, thx for asking. Just went outside to walk my daughters dog …. conditions are windy with light drizzle. I’m expecting 12 more hours of wind/rain from the outer bands.
            Good to hear, thanks for keeping us posted.

Comment

A childhood friend of my wife’s has a place on Grand Isle - he has rebuilt twice in just the years I’ve known him. Whenever we have gone there to fish for a few days I always look out at the gulf and think about how vulnerable that place is - the whole island can’t be more than just a few feet above seal level.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                A childhood friend of my wife’s has a place on Grand Isle - he has rebuilt twice in just the years I’ve known him. Whenever we have gone there to fish for a few days I always look out at the gulf and think about how vulnerable that place is - the whole island can’t be more than just a few feet above seal level.
                Its currently under da sea

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

The entire Orleans Parish is now out of power. Entergy is reporting catastrophic damage.

Comment

Hindsight is 20/20 … not sure what other options were considered since the PD is located on an island. If the emergency response vehicles were parked over the bridge several miles away on the mainland, they would have still flooded with 15-20 feet of tidal surge. If the bridge was lost, damaged or rendered unpassable from the Hurricane, there’s no way the PD or fire department could use their vehicles to respond for emergencies & gas fires when needed

Regardless of their decision, it was a lose / lose situation. Maybe in the future Jefferson Parish will have to build a 2 or 3 story parking garage to prevent vehicles and offices from being flooded.

This rebuild design should be considered in the future for the GI PD. Hurricane Rita (2005) destroyed and leveled everything in Cameron Parish. The Parish School Board office was rebuilt , elevated 12 ft off the ground and to withstand hurricanes. It fared well during recent Hurricanes Laura & Delta (2020).

I disagree. Get the assets to high ground, if the bridge goes then you barge the assets back, not ideal but better than have to wait on new assets and then barging those across.

Comment

My in laws live in Destrehan......I hope their house comes out ok....Might be a sad story tomorrow! Everyone stay safe

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                        My in laws live in Destrehan......I hope their house comes out ok....Might be a sad story tomorrow! Everyone stay safe
                        Ormond Estates ? My good friend lives in Hahnville across the River from Destrehan. He went East to Destin. Eye passed over Edgard & Garyville which is probably 10 miles from Destrehan

Prayers sent up brother

Comment

Hard to believe this storm made landfall nearly 8 hours ago and is still a Cat 2 with 110 mph winds.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                            The entire Orleans Parish is now out of power. Entergy is reporting catastrophic damage.
                            I'm heading over to NOLA in the morning for an initial damage assessment, going to be a while before the system is back up. I hope everyone is staying safe out there.

Comment

Black ice how are you doing? My family in Prairieville lost power a while ago and the others in Baton Rouge lost power about 30 minutes ago.

Comment

Ormond Estates ? My good friend lives in Hahnville across the River from Destrehan. He went East to Destin. Eye passed over Edgard & Garyville which is probably 10 miles from Destrehan

Prayers sent up brother
                                Hey Blake... hope all is well...

It's been a long day... family was hit by Ida ever since early this morning near Houma, through Thibodaux, then River Parishes (Hahnville, Norco).

So far, **** fortunate to have only property damage... trees lost, shingles gone, roof leaks and etc... but everyone survived... a little rattled, but survived.

I think tomorrow we begin to see the true devastation... my guess, it'll be severe and widespread...

Comment

Working...
                                X