Need help figuring moa adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help figuring moa adjustments

The gun range that I am on is giving a long range class Wednesday and I need to be able to figure out how to adjust for moa to be able to shoot our long range targets. So what is the easiest way to figure this out. I also have to have my ballistics for my round/gun out to 500 yards.

Thanks for any help.

Assuming scope is in .25 or 1/4 minute clicks, 4 clicks moves you 1 minute. 1 minute is:

1” at 100 yards
    2” at 200 yards
    3” at 300 yards
    ....see where this is going?

What is your current zero distance on your rifle, and what cartridge are you shooting?

Comment

Do you know the ballistic coefficient of your projectile and your average muzzle velocity?
      I use the “Shooter” app.

Comment

https://www.shooterapp.net/

Comment

If you are looking for a doping app I use strelock pro

Bullet drop is not bad either.

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
            Assuming scope is in .25 or 1/4 minute clicks, 4 clicks moves you 1 minute. 1 minute is:

1” at 100 yards
            2” at 200 yards
            3” at 300 yards
            ....see where this is going?

What is your current zero distance on your rifle, and what cartridge are you shooting?
            I am sighted in at 200 yards using a 6.5x284. To qualify all I have to do is shoot five rounds in a 8” target at 200 yards. I think MV is 2900 fps

Comment

Here’s a starting point for your rifle. At 300 yards, it shows 2.25 min of drop, so that would be 9 clicks. At 400 yards it shows 4.88 min of drop, so round up to 5 min, which would be 20 clicks. You’ll have to play with the numbers, every rifle is different, but this should get you close at each range instead of wasting rounds. PM me if you have anymore questions, I teach LR classes and usually have new shooters shooting 1000 yards before lunch if they pay attention. Just remember, when you dial your turret, you’re turning the turret in the direction you want your bullet impact to go. So when you shoot low, you should be dialing “up” or counter-clockwise.

Also, I put 10mph of wind on there, but you’re instructor will be able to explain that best in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This video is pretty good:

NSSF's Ryan Cleckner explains the measurement term "minute of angle" (MOA) and how to use MOA adjustments on your scope for sighting in and to compensate for...

Comment

Here’s a starting point for your rifle. At 300 yards, it shows 2.25 min of drop, so that would be 9 clicks. At 400 yards it shows 4.88 min of drop, so round up to 5 min, which would be 20 clicks. You’ll have to play with the numbers, every rifle is different, but this should get you close at each range instead of wasting rounds. PM me if you have anymore questions, I teach LR classes and usually have new shooters shooting 1000 yards before lunch if they pay attention. Just remember, when you dial your turret, you’re turning the turret in the direction you want your bullet impact to go. So when you shoot low, you should be dialing “up” or counter-clockwise.

Also, I put 10mph of wind on there, but you’re instructor will be able to explain that best in the field. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180226/6851904a4cc6af7e85ac6306e17298b4
                  Thank you very much for your help

Comment

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
                    Thank you very much for your help
                    Not a problem. Elevation is easy, once you have your dope, it’s done. (Except for weather/elevation changes or changing ammo).

Wind will be the hardest thing to master, takes a lot of field time to learn to read and call the wind correctly for a 1st round hit.

PM me if you need anymore help.

Comment

Also, I put 10mph of wind on there, but you’re instructor will be able to explain that best in the field.

Thanks Oneisnone... This clears up some confusion on this for me.. I always thought you chased the bullet impact with the scope so now I know how to adjust my scope...

Comment

Working...
                      X