This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TC View Post
    Yeah, alot already calling for Jimbo and Mond's head. I'm going to do my best to stay patient.
    That's just silly. It's year two, right? The only players he recruited are true freshman. The schedule is brutal except the few auto wins. Next year it's much easier.

Comment

For once, I feel like the Aggies are over reacting negatively.

Jimbo is in year two. Recruiting wise, he got the new car smell recruiting bump last year which it seems every new coach gets. Even Charlie Strong got one in the class that he landed Malik, Holton Hill, Kris Boyd and that bunch. Jimbo kicked everyone's *** in Texas and caught Herman napping in the Leal recruitment especially.

But, one of the reasons that Herman had problems was that he didn't have anything to sell but the 7-6 2017 season and some early season struggles against Maryland, Tulsa, and K-State. Even the Oklahoma win wasn't that impactful since a struggle against Baylor and losses to WVU and Okie Light followed. It wasn't until Texas beat Georgia that he had a program win to really sell.

A&M had a pretty good season last year mostly beating the teams they were supposed to, having an early season close loss to the eventual National Champion, and then the big win over LSU and blowing out a bowl opponent.

Last year, while Jimbo was taking Herman's candy, Herman quickly pivotted to finding out of state guys like Adimora, Liebrock, Jake Smith, Kenyatta Watson, Marcus Washington, et al. He also found some unheralded in state guys like T'Vondre Sweat and Tyler Owens that turned into monsters and were generally poorly evaluated early by the recruiting services. So, while Jimbo won in state, Texas did not suffer in overall quality signing an equivalent class.

Herman saw some of that coming. After taking a historically great DB class, it was going to be hard to sell in state kids because depth chart matters.

This year, Jimbo should have seen some of this coming. Texas needed wins on the DL and OL and Broughton, Princely, Collins, Garth, Parr, and Majors were all guys that Texas should get (and I am assuming they will still get Collins). Texas won the battles they should have because of some built in advantages. Then they won some head to heads with Aggie leans like Omeire, Alford, and Eaton when the momentum heated up for Texas.

With the two in state powers on the upswing, the recruiting wins in-state for each school will be cyclical. Texas had the natural leans in state this year. Next year, guys like Landon Jackson and Marcus Burris look like natural Aggie leans.

The real difference between the trajectories of the two schools so far is their transition classes. Historically, the class that a coach signs on the same year they are hired are both poor and suffer a large amount of attrition.

Texas got lucky that Sam Ehlinger, the perfect QB for Herman, was already committed and a life long Texas fan. Because Herman was already recruiting guys to Houston from the second tier of Texas talent, they had relationships with guys and knew which 3-star types were studs. Sam Cosmi is probably the best football player on the team and he came out of that class. There has only been one guy from that class that Texas has lost since they got to campus. Every guy from that class has made some on field contribution except for two. My guess is that, by the time they graduate, it will be every guy from the class.

When a coach gets fired, there are generally alot of reasons. But, specifically, there is almost always a dearth of OL talent and good QB play. Out of that transition class, Texas has their QB, who is probably a Heisman candidate though a long shot to win, both starting tackles, one starting corner, one NB/Corner that has started, one starting DE, one DE in heavy rotation, one DE providing good backup snaps, one two year starter JUCO LB that has already graduated, starting TE, backup TE, and a 3rd string RB with some starts.

A&M isn't getting the same production out of their transition class (2018), though some of that is due to the fact that those guys are one year behind the same guys at Texas and part of that is due to the fact that A&M didn't have as big of a talent hole to climb out of that Texas did.

Texas jump started the rebuild on both lines and at QB with their transition class. Offensive line is the position that it takes the longest to turn around, and is the major reason I didn't see Texas really competing for a conference championship before this year and maybe a CFP spot before next year. Texas still doesn't have championship depth on the OL, but they have the guys in the pipeline that they will have that depth next year and they do have six good players this year.

So, you can ***** about Jimbo, but he is mostly on target save for recruiting at CB, OT, and QB. While his overall roster might have been more talented, he didn't have the QB he needs and still hasn't gotten tackles in the pipe line. Jimbo is as good of a coach as the Aggies could have gotten, and while the contract that he got was ridiculous, it was what had to get done.

The only real qualms I would have about Jimbo is that he isn't at the cutting edge offensively, but he definitely knows how to coordinate an offense or y'all would have gotten rolled last year. But, that is something he can always hire out to get. The dude has a guaranteed contract through like 2050. He will figure it out.
      Last edited by El General; 09-24-2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
        For once, I feel like the Aggies are over reacting negatively.

Jimbo is in year two. Recruiting wise, he got the new car smell recruiting bump last year which it seems every new coach gets. Even Charlie Strong got one in the class that he landed Malik, Holton Hill, Kris Boyd and that bunch. Jimbo kicked everyone's *** in Texas and caught Herman napping in the Leal recruitment especially.

But, one of the reasons that Herman had problems was that he didn't have anything to sell but the 7-6 2017 season and some early season struggles against Maryland, Tulsa, and K-State. Even the Oklahoma win wasn't that impactful since a struggle against Baylor and losses to WVU and Okie Light followed. It wasn't until Texas beat Georgia that he had a program win to really sell.

A&M had a pretty good season last year mostly beating the teams they were supposed to, having an early season close loss to the eventual National Champion, and then the big win over LSU and blowing out a bowl opponent.

Last year, while Jimbo was taking Herman's candy, Herman quickly pivotted to finding out of state guys like Adimora, Liebrock, Jake Smith, Kenyatta Watson, Marcus Washington, et al. He also found some unheralded in state guys like T'Vondre Sweat and Tyler Owens that turned into monsters and were generally poorly evaluated early by the recruiting services. So, while Jimbo won in state, Texas did not suffer in overall quality signing an equivalent class.

Herman saw some of that coming. After taking a historically great DB class, it was going to be hard to sell in state kids because depth chart matters.

This year, Jimbo should have seen some of this coming. Texas needed wins on the DL and OL and Broughton, Princely, Collins, Garth, Parr, and Majors were all guys that Texas should get (and I am assuming they will still get Collins). Texas won the battles they should have because of some built in advantages. Then they won some head to heads with Aggie leans like Omeire, Alford, and Eaton when the momentum heated up for Texas.

With the two in state powers on the upswing, the recruiting wins in-state for each school will be cyclical. Texas had the natural leans in state this year. Next year, guys like Landon Jackson and Marcus Burris look like natural Aggie leans.

The real difference between the trajectories of the two schools so far is their transition classes. Historically, the class that a coach signs on the same year they are hired are both poor and suffer a large amount of attrition.

Texas got lucky that Sam Ehlinger, the perfect QB for Herman, was already committed and a life long Texas fan. Because Herman was already recruiting guys to Houston from the second tier of Texas talent, they had relationships with guys and knew which 3-star types were studs. Sam Cosmi is probably the best football player on the team and he came out of that class. There has only been one guy from that class that Texas has lost since they got to campus. Every guy from that class has made some on field contribution except for two. My guess is that, by the time they graduate, it will be every guy from the class.

When a coach gets fired, there are generally alot of reasons. But, specifically, there is almost always a dearth of OL talent and good QB play. Out of that transition class, Texas has their QB, who is probably a Heisman candidate though a long shot to win, both starting tackles, one starting corner, one NB/Corner that has started, one starting DE, one DE in heavy rotation, one DE providing good backup snaps, one two year starter JUCO LB that has already graduated, starting TE, backup TE, and a 3rd string RB with some starts.

A&M isn't getting the same production out of their transition class (2018), though some of that is due to the fact that those guys are one year behind the same guys at Texas and part of that is due to the fact that A&M didn't have as big of a talent hole to climb out of that Texas did.

Texas jump started the rebuild on both lines and at QB with their transition class. Offensive line is the position that it takes the longest to turn around, and is the major reason I didn't see Texas really competing for a conference championship before this year and maybe a CFP spot before next year. Texas still doesn't have championship depth on the OL, but they have the guys in the pipeline that they will have that depth next year and they do have six good players this year.

So, you can ***** about Jimbo, but he is mostly on target save for recruiting at CB, OT, and QB. While his overall roster might have been more talented, he didn't have the QB he needs and still hasn't gotten tackles in the pipe line. Jimbo is as good of a coach as the Aggies could have gotten, and while the contract that he got was ridiculous, it was what had to get done.

The only real qualms I would have about Jimbo is that he isn't at the cutting edge offensively, but he definitely knows how to coordinate an offense or y'all would have gotten rolled last year. But, that is something he can always hire out to get. The dude has a guaranteed contract through like 2050. He will figure it out.
        Cliff Notes please.

Comment

I’m bummed we’re already a third of the way through the season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
            Cliff Notes please.
            Y'all chill the eff out. Jimbo will be fine and y'all will improve. It won't happen as fast as you want because you don't quite have the OT's in the system yet and Jimbo hasn't found his QB. I don't know if that improvement will be enough to win in the SEC West while Saban is there, but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
              Y'all chill the eff out. Jimbo will be fine and y'all will improve. I don't know if that improvement will be enough to win in the SEC West while Saban is there, but it is what it is.
              I’m chill.

Thanks.

Comment

Saw this today and thought it’d give y’all something to mull over till Saturday... I’m stating for the record that I’m a Hoggie so I got no dog in this fight, I’m happy we’re just Lone Star conference!!!

“Texas A&M football will never see success in the SEC as long as photos like this can be taken.
                No, that’s not a mistake on the clock. You’re reading just under 8 minutes left to play in a game, with the stands over half empty. More than half a quarter to play, and the ‘12th man’ had already given up.
                Sadly, giving up is what Texas A&M football has become accustomed to. Who’s to blame for this? Is it the coaching? The players? The refs? I say it’s none of these, because they’ve all changed over the years, but the disappointment hasn’t. So, what causes this disappointment?
                False entitlement.
                Since moving to the SEC, students, fans, and others associated with TAMU Football have all had this false sense of entitlement, as if they were magically better because they were in a better conference. The past 7-8 years we’ve built ourselves up that we’re better than t.u. and the Big 12, and that we’re in a higher tier of competition that somehow correlates to us playing better and deserving more: higher rankings, more prime time games, more prestige, and championships. None of that has happened, yet you can’t throw a stone after a loss like this without hitting someone that’s casting blame on one player, one coach, one ref, or one play.
                We’ve become a team of ‘at leasts,’ and one that is used to defeat. “Sure we lost, but at least...” is the common post game analysis, always talking about the experience this will give the team for next year.
                We’ve let this false sense of entitlement cloud the entire program, to the point that the first sense of struggle in a game automatically makes the whole season a loss, and people give up and leave. When has the tradition of the 12th man been to give up? To leave early? To bash everything about the program after the game and act like a fair weather fan?
                Now, I’ll admit, I’m only a decade into this Aggie thing, as it wasn’t how I was raised, so I had to do some googling. But let me ask the rest of you who are out there acting like we’re not getting what we deserve: when’s the last time A&M was competitive? I’m not talking about a season here or there, I’m talking about a program. Fans feel we deserve more because we’re in a conference that ‘just means more,’ but when was the last time the Aggies were conference champions of the last league they left? I’ll tell you: 21 years ago. And on top of that, that’s the ONLY Big 12 championship that A&M ever won.
                How does a program that’s not even a perennial competitor in its current conference expect to move to an arguably tougher conference and not just compete, but win? Because of false entitlement.
                Sure, we’ve thrown a lot of money at the football program to try and buy success, be that through high profile coaches, branded helicopters, stadium additions, or ridiculous locker room upgrades, but what has that actually bought? Only more entitlement, and further frustration and disappointment.
                Now, let me ask the real question: when’s the last time it was challenging for visitors to play at Kyle Field? And I don’t mean when the football team was good and lots of people yelled for a game or two. I mean, when was the last time someone saw ‘@ Texas A&M’ on their schedule, and thought about how hard it was to play there? I’ll say it hasn’t been in my first decade as an Aggie.
                Why is it no longer difficult? Why am I forced to sing the 12th man song and watch as the visitors celebrate on my turf?
                In my opinion, it’s because the ‘two percenter’ faction has grown exponentially. If I had to guess after today, it’s more like the 40-50%ers. And what is causing all of this?
                False entitlement.
                It’s not the refs. It’s not Mond. It’s not Jimbo. It’s us, Ags. Until we change and once again become the 12th Man, we can’t expect our course to change.
                Gig ‘em, and BTHO long facebook rants with too much truth to swallow.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It’s tough when you money whip something and the returns are slow. Even with money there are no guarantees. There’s always risk (see Michigan and Tennessee). Aggies have facilities, recruiting, and money. I didn’t see any Aggies pre-season crowing that this was the year. Anyone who follows college football knows this season is just a stepping stone.

The problem is it’s difficult to be patient when you have 100,000 plus in attendance ready to see it now. Not to mention leaving early is also easy when September temperatures don’t feel like September. It’s hard to bake in your seat with the scoreboard working against you.

My short take on A&M is this team will rally. Pressure is off and it’s time to unleash the dogs of war. After all, they are still a top 20 team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I mean Kyle field isn’t packed in the 4th quarter, many of the 102,000 left, but ****, y’all act like it was a Big 12 Longhorn game.

Comment

What’s all this drivel about Aggies bailing on Jimbo? Do y’all believe a few internet idiots speak for the entire alumni base? Those in decision making positions haven’t wavered. I don’t know any Ags that have lost confidence in the direction of the program.

Look we weren’t prepared Saturday. That’s on the players and ultimately the coaching staff. We called a bad game on offense by sticking with the run for as long as we did. Pass protection was good from the jump. I didn’t get the play calling and there was zero urgency on offense. Outside of 2 busted plays on defense it was a solid effort. In today’s game you better be prepped to score more than 20 points at home.

Regroup this weekend. Stay the course. BTHOarky

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
                        What’s all this drivel about Aggies bailing on Jimbo? Do y’all believe a few internet idiots speak for the entire alumni base? Those in decision making positions haven’t wavered. I don’t know any Ags that have lost confidence in the direction of the program.

That is no way to talk about RLB and ChaseThis.......

I'm kidding..

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post

Look we weren’t prepared Saturday. That’s on the players and ultimately the coaching staff. We called a bad game on offense by sticking with the run for as long as we did. Pass protection was good from the jump. I didn’t get the play calling and there was zero urgency on offense. Outside of 2 busted plays on defense it was a solid effort. In today’s game you better be prepped to score more than 20 points at home.

Regroup this weekend. Stay the course. BTHOarky

I’m with you, yes some idiots on FB are calling to fire the coach, but most fans know this isn’t the year to win it all and that it will take time.

I’m also with you on Mond, he’s the only one who did anything on Saturday. Yes he needs to tuck it and run more, but he had a pretty good game. On the over throw in the first half, he is throwing it to a spot, Kibodi let’s up on his route and isn’t in that spot, if he doesn’t let up he’s there and it’s a TD catch. Mond isn’t that “dude” and that’s fine, last year we had “dudes” to help him out, this year we haven’t had anyone do that. Heck even QB Jesus has WR’s that bail him out when he’s in trouble, Tua has “dudes” all around him that make him better, and Ellinger has “dudes” that make plays for him. A&M has not had anyone step up to be that, I think Smith can be that guy, but he needs more play time.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                            That's just silly. It's year two, right? The only players he recruited are true freshman. The schedule is brutal except the few auto wins. Next year it's much easier.
                            It’s not about easy schedules or hard schedules, it’s about being “at least” competitive in the schedule you have. A loss is fine, if you actually show up and compete. The frustration is coming from watching an incompetent Mond trot out there every week and make stupid mistakes, all while not getting better or learning from those same mistakes.

Comment

I’m not calling for a 2nd year, $75M coach to be fired.....but for $75M, I **** sure question the thought process of Mond being on the field. He’s not a general, he’s not a leader, he’s a below average QB with a very low football (QB) IQ. Make the change, get your future on the field and be done with Mond.

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
                                I’m not calling for a 2nd year, $75M coach to be fired.....but for $75M, I **** sure question the thought process of Mond being on the field. He’s not a general, he’s not a leader, he’s a below average QB with a very low football (QB) IQ. Make the change, get your future on the field and be done with Mond.
                                He’s the only one thats anywhere near ready, run the freshman QB out there burn his redshirt and get him hurt and kill his confidence cause there is nothing around to help him or protect him. And if we do that and it goes all to hell, a lot of folks will start b******* about that too.

Mond isn’t the only issue, he’s the only one that has accomplished anything all year on offense, yes he’s not a world beater, but no one else on offense is, he’s the only one that’s had any kind of production all year, especially on Saturday

Comment

Working...
                                X