X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a NOPE.

Comment

Originally posted by hogman$ View Post
      since its a game animal are you required to keep the meat ?
      Yes, and it would be a waste not to since javi is DELICIOUS....

...unless you don't know how to take care of meat and are incompetent during the skinning process.

Comment

Originally posted by louieagarcia View Post
        I've eaten javelina, and agree if meat is cared for and prepared correctly it's delicious.
        Crazy to think though that they're rodents...and far relation to 'pigs'
        I have heard this as well and always believed same. It appears not to be the case. The javies belong to the family Tayassuidae an order of hooved mammals of the subclass Eutheria (including pigs and peccaries and hippopotami and members of the suborder Ruminantia)

Rats beong to the Rodent family. Of course, this is all from the internet so it must be true

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
          I have heard this as well and always believed same. It appears not to be the case. The javies belong to the family Tayassuidae an order of hooved mammals of the subclass Eutheria (including pigs and peccaries and hippopotami and members of the suborder Ruminantia)

Rats beong to the Rodent family. Of course, this is all from the internet so it must be true

Yup, javis ain't rats in any way.

This myth just won't die...

Comment

My inlaws used to have an old Mexican man that worked for them that wanted every javelina that was killed. He would take them in to San Antone and trade them for unspeakable (on the GS) activities....he could be draggin' rear end and smell rank as hell from working all day and when he'd lay eyes on that dead javelina he'd catch another gear, get all spiffed up and off to town he'd go with javie in tow.....them javies would dang sure put wind in his sails!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Can you make something with pork in its name from a javelina?...

Hard pass for me either way..
              It’s the style of the meat Smartguy. Helped ya out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                WrecklessRanch
                Looks good. Not that it matters I'm not likely to see one where I hunt.
                165 degrees for two hours souse vide seems pretty hot. Was that just being extra cautious? What did the inside look like?
                I think I was being extra cautious. I'm going to try some backstrap pieces today at a lower temperature. It was definitely done. It was suggested to me to treat it like pork even though we all know it's not related. I'm not sure what a safe temperature for it would be but I'll keep experimenting.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                  We will just watch em and think about it!
                  This one was from pretty far north, Knox County, and he tasted great.

Comment

Originally posted by WrecklessRanch View Post
                    I think I was being extra cautious. I'm going to try some backstrap pieces today at a lower temperature. It was definitely done. It was suggested to me to treat it like pork even though we all know it's not related. I'm not sure what a safe temperature for it would be but I'll keep experimenting.
                    New recommendation for safe pork is only 145.
                    After a little research it looks like for a 1" thick pork chop at 144 degrees for 1:15 will produce a perfect medium rare.
                    Good luck and let us know how your other cuts turn out.

Comment

After a little research it looks like for a 1" thick pork chop at 144 degrees for 1:15 will produce a perfect medium rare.
                      From what I understand that is for domestic pork. I think wild pork still needs to go to 160 or 165.

Comment

I went the sous vide route again last night and dropped the temp to 150. I used this seasoning:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	56584007625__735A5482-26EE-44D9-B248-C4C7B0A23078.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	24563324
                        It was so good. It was more tender but I’m not sure if that was due to the temp or different cut of meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WrecklessRanch View Post
                          I went the sous vide route again last night and dropped the temp to 150. I used this seasoning:
                          [ATTACH]936843[/ATTACH]
                          It was so good. It was more tender but I’m not sure if that was due to the temp or different cut of meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Yum. Probably both.

Comment

Working...
                          X