Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to find old aerial photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to find old aerial photos?

My property has a brick pile on it that looks like an old, pushed over chimney at the edge of an agricultural field. I believe there is an old homesite somewhere and I would like to take my metal detector and see if I can find anything interesting. There is also a cistern well but it's 500 yds from the brick pile which doesn't make much sense.

Is there website that has archived aerial photos? Would any county office have anything? My county is fairly primitive (Fannin County). Obviously google earth is far too recent.

You can order TelAll aerials online that will go back to the 30’s. They can tell you what they have available before you order. There may be another free option but I am not aware of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great website for finding places to detect. You can even do an overlay of maps to get GPS coordinates for old structures.

Good luck with the hunt!!

Comment

You’d be amazed, I know in some areas with google earth I have seen aerial photos go all the way back to the 1950s.

Comment

back in the 90's I worked at TXDOT and they had folks that flew and took pictures. May want to check with them to see what they have as far as archived. I got some neat pictures of ranches...since the photo lab was just down the hall from me

Comment

I have Google Earth Pro on my work computer and it has photos going back to the 40s for some areas.

Comment

Try Texas Natural Resouce Information Systems.
              TNRIS.org

Comment

That's way cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                  https://www.historicaerials.com/

Great website for finding places to detect. You can even do an overlay of maps to get GPS coordinates for old structures.

Good luck with the hunt!!
                  That is awesome but only goes back to 1964 for my area which doesn't show what I'm looking for. Dang!

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    I have Google Earth Pro on my work computer and it has photos going back to the 40s for some areas.
                    If you have a moment, look up Bailey, TX and see what year it goes to. I think the regular Google Earth only went back to 1995 if I remember correctly.
                    Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by centex_aggie View Post
                      You can order TelAll aerials online that will go back to the 30’s. They can tell you what they have available before you order. There may be another free option but I am not aware of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I'll check with them. Thanks!

Comment

I looked around a little bit at the site suggested above and I discovered that you local Farm Service Agency (FSA) office should have them, too.

My local office has them back to 1952, but each office varies.

Comment

There was a thread on here that had a site dating back to the 30s. Will see if I can find it.

Comment

Looks to be the same as above.

Comment

This a very true statement

Comment

Working...
                              X