Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with Great Pyrenees on your deer lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can throw a bucket of water at a fence and any of the water makes it through the fence then it is not goat proof.

Comment

Those dogs won't bother your deer

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
        Shared a lease with Skylar one year and there was one that ran with the land owners goats. It never left the goats and never bothered anything. It was friendly if you approached it but it would never leave the goats to come to you.
        A friend of ours in Fannin Co has one and it is friendly but you seldom ever see it. It stays out around the edge of the property guarding for intruders and protecting his chickens. Cool dogs in a way.
        You must have been leasing from my Uncle David (East of Caddo a couple of miles on south side of Hwy 180)

Comment

We had three of them for years, they patrolled our 200 acres and pretty well kept all of the predators away, never seemed to have an effect on the deer though, still killed good ones every year

Comment

Goats on our Sonora lease were a pain in the .....

Comment

I was on a lease once. The third year the ranch foreman put 700 goats on 700 acres. I told him we would not release with the goats so he took them off. We paid our money and a month later, Sept, he put them back on with two GP. The goats turned the place into a moonscape. A couple got hung up in our feed pens and died.

I think lack of food kept the deer out. I saw one single doe in LLano county that year. A buddy did see one of the GP chasing a cow. Oh yeah we had cows too.

I walked up to a goat and was gonna give it a swift kick in the b sack and I noticed mine had gotten warm all of a sudden I looked behind me and a GP had his nose up my crotch. I said "Nice goat, good dog" and never thought about hurting goat again.

Comment

I had a great lease out around Junction that went to pot as soon as the owner's grandson put goats on it. I'd watch deer in the feed pens scatted for no apparent reason,...then I'd see the goats coming out of the brush.

Ruined a great deer lease with two great guys.

Comment

I thought this thread was about a dog not goats

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    I thought this thread was about a dog not goats
                    Shows how much you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      I'm talking to a rancher about leasing his place. He doesn't have any cattle, but he runs a herd of goats. He has one Great Pyrenees dog out with them now and says he needs to add another dog to his place to protect the goats. He is very proactive about killing predators to protect his goats, so that's good for the deer fawn crop too. My only question is about the dog(s) and whether they will chase deer and be a problem or not. He said he's never seen his dog chasing deer, but he had a dog that was half Australian Shepherd a few years ago that would chase deer. He said he sees deer grazing inside 100 yards from his goats and dog all the time now.

What about GP? I've never been around them. Is his current dog typical of the breed, in that she doesn't chase deer? Or are they a problem on a deer lease?
                      I was on a lease up near Mason that had cows, sheep & goats and the rancher had a couple of GP. Never seemed to bother the deer as they were more focused on guarding the herd than messing with the deer.

Comment

i would say you are good. They typ. stay with the herd.

Comment

The goats will be an issue with regards to your feed pens!

The dog is very protective of his flock and will even keep you away from the goats!

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                            Shows how much you know.
                            Where there are GP there are goats and or sheep.

Unless I was hunting a GREAT BIG HUGE place with MINIMAL goats I would never hunt with goats again

Comment

Yeah, the goat issue is obvious and a definite drawback. I just didn't know about the dogs. Sounds like the dogs won't be a problem. Goats are always looking for a way to become a problem. I don't know how many goats he has, but that's definitely one thing I will be asking about.

Comment

I'd be worried about the dog. I've only known well tempered GPs till I met my neighbors dog. Thing will leave the goats and attack my truck if I drive by him. That dogs gonna get shot one of these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X