No announcement yet.

Spring food plot ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am new to food plots. In the past I have just bought seed and spread near my stand locations after roughing up the soil a bit. I've got a 3.5 acre meadow near the house at our place I'm wanting to plant this year. For those of you who plant plots, are you just running a disc over it and broadcasting, or what method are you using to plant? Thanks for any info.

Comment

Originally posted by AggieDoc08 View Post
      ..... are you just running a disc over it and broadcasting, or what method are you using to plant? Thanks for any info.
      That's what I did on my first food plot this fall. I sprayed Roundup in late August / early September. At the end of September, I disc'd it to a real soft soil bed. It was real pretty. Then I used a broadcast spreader to mix seed and fertilizer. We waited that late because until September, we went 3 months without rain.

My only regret - my 2 acre plot wasn't big enough for all of the deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
        That's what I did on my first food plot this fall. I sprayed Roundup in late August / early September. At the end of September, I disc'd it to a real soft soil bed. It was real pretty. Then I used a broadcast spreader to mix seed and fertilizer. We waited that late because until September, we went 3 months without rain.

Great! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post

Good advise! Get a soil sample analyzed ASAP. If you need to add lime to raise the pH you need to do it well in advance of planting.

Comment

Soybeans

Comment

Working...
            X