Trolling motor battery help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trolling motor battery help

Recently had two 27 series optima blue tops go out on my boat. One was stickered 6/17 and the other 5/15 so they’re out of warranty. I have a Champion 203dc with a 36v 112 minn Kota fortrex (ultrex someday). I obviously need to replace two and the third will come shortly after. I also want the biggest battery I can get, thinking the bigger the longer it’ll last while fishing.

My question is, the battery tray had a spacer that says th marine 31. My thought process is since the optima is shaped weird there’s an adapter for a traditional wet cell battery tray that a 31 series battery will fit but it was a 27 series optima adapter. Can I put a 31 in this tray or does it have to be a 27. I’ve measured the battery tray and took some pics. I know this sounds weird but I don’t want to replace the trays and want to fit the biggest in there.

As much as I’d like to replace with an optima blue top, I simply can’t afford 3 new blue tops at $225 a piece when I can get the deep cycle interstate from academy for $100 each. Anyone with experience please help me with this dilemma haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6904.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	24600048

Name:	IMG_6905.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	24600049

Comment

You're thought is right. I put a TH 31 tray in mine to get a bigger cranking battery in it.

Comment

Optimas are junk. I had about 5 fo bad in my mastercraft xstar. Get the interstate batteries or if your gona go deep again, look at the brand odesey extreme. The oddesey extreme brand has one w cca of 1200. Ive heard good stuff about delstar batteries which are rebranded sears batteries so ive heard, but i cant find em. Boat dr in Louisiana told me about them. They have one w a cca of 1000.

Comment

Name:	IMG_6903.jpg
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	24600051
          So at the base of the battery that spacer is just simply an adapter for a 31 series battery. And since the actual tray itself says 31 it’s a series 31 tray. My friend swears that adapter just holds the optima battery and I should put a 27 back instead of going to the 31. He’s usually pretty squared away, I just don’t want to have too small of a battery for those long trips and lots of TM use days.

Comment

This info is off the Interstate web site.
            SRM-27 12 3/4" L x 6 3/4" W x 9 1/2" H
            SRM-31 13" L x 6 11/16" W x 9 5/8" H
            Hope this helps.

Comment

Optima is a no longer a good battery since they moved manufacturing to Mexico. You can get 195 RC from a Northstar 27M AGM or 205 RC from a Northstar 31M. Northstar is the same as X2 Power, FYI. $100 whatever battery is nowhere near in the same ballpark for trolling as these AGM’s I’ve listed.

Comment

Academy batteries have lasted just as long as optima,trojan,interstates and Trojans for me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  Academy batteries have lasted just as long as optima,trojan,interstates and Trojans for me

Which is the better battery? Trojans or trojan?

I've been using Duracell with good results.

Comment

Sams club Duracell agms are the best bang for your buck. Wrong time if the year but they do run a sale on them for $20 off in the summer.

Comment

The Interstate batteries are garbage too nowadays, lucky to get a year or two and they no longer prorate anything from what I understand. At least no warranty on mine I was told. Trojan can't be beat and should last 5-7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        Which is the better battery? Trojans or trojan?

I've been using Duracell with good results.
                        I could only get them to last a few minutes. But, hey I ain't mad about catching the first one

Comment

I appreciate the battery suggestions but ***** they’re higher than the optima. I’d love to go to an agm type battery, but I don’t think it’s possible right now. First baby in a few months and re painting the house and new flooring in preparation for the baby. And missing a crap ton of work cause of a dwi driver tearing up my knee last year and just had 3rd surgery.

Is there a particular wet cell to stay away from? Or any better than the other?

Comment

I have a 36voly fortrex on my bass cat. I run the Duracell bci 31 from batteries plus. There like a 125 bucks. But online you get a 10% discount from batteries plus. The optimas are trash. I did a bunch of research, and for the money I don’t think your gunna find a better battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X