• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 41Chevy View Post
    I've never had a bad one.
    X2, you treat them with respect and they will do the same, most of the time

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      So is it "right" for military (current or ex) to get warnings where others would get tickets? I think this is one reason people bash LEO's because they feel things are unfair.
      Yes, people who break the law should get tickets, but if you were the one getting the ticket and then watched others get warnings for the same thing you would be mad aslo.

I have not gotten a ticket in a long long time. Maybe I should start hedging my bets by getting a military sticker, a bowhunting sticker, and other hobby stickers...then that may improve my odds of getting just a warning LOL

I have given military guys breaks in the past but at the same time I give joe blow citizens breaks as well. And to make it as totally fair as I can in my mind I give folks I know are out there breaking actual criminal laws breaks as well.

Now who can come at me about my fairness? Folks from every walk of life have the potential for a break. I had a defense attorney bring this up in court one day and when I challeged him to research my warning activity he moved along with the case. In the end the Officer is the one with the final say so on the enforcement action. I don't believe a ticket is the answer to every infraction. If that were the case all I would do is write tickets and nothing proactive criminal wise would be done.

As a matter of fact writing tickets is the least fun part of my job. I work traffic very heavy but that doesn't mean a ticket is needed every time, only when the Sergeant says we have a problem area. Then the ticket aspect is used to hopefully make the driver and the community safer.

Comment

Glad you had a good experience.

For the negative posts on here, I'll say this. Military does not always get a pass. Sometimes I'm out to write tickets. If you're going over whatever I set my limit at, you're probably getting a ticket. Most of the time I'm not out to write tickets. I have no quota. I'm usually looking for dope, so I'll stop you for REAL minor things.

Tickets are written to try to change behavior. If there's a consequence most people will learn and change behavior. Often times a warning will suffice. How do I determine if a warning will suffice? Usually your attitude and actions. A little respect, common sense in where and how you stop, honesty, etc. If I get you dead to rights at 75 in a 60 and you deny it......hmmmm. You make the call. Does military often get breaks- yep. Why- partly because of what they do, but more so because of the honesty, integrity, and respect they show. Few people are able to talk themselves out of a ticket I've decided to write, but many talk themselves INTO a ticket I wasn't planning on writing.

Sorry for the rant.

Comment

The good ones have my overwhelming respect, the bad ones are the scum of the earth. I have seen only a few bad ones. In all cases they were small town officers.

Comment

The State Troopers are standup guys and do a tough thankless job. When I have ever recieved a ticket from theese guys I deserved it. They have a job to do same as you or I. My hats off to them.

Comment

I'm glad you met a good officer. It makes me feel good. I have never written a veteran a ticket.

Comment

Working...
              X