Did I just ruin this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I just ruin this?

Stuck a case and broke off the tap in the case while threading it. Any way to save the die?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fajkus7; 12-03-2019, 01:36 PM. Reason: Typo

I’d try stepping up to the next size tap and drilling it out again.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Back the piece of tap out with needle nose?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        Back the piece of tap out with needle nose?
        Wife bought me vice grip needle nose one year for Christmas, and I thought I'd never use them. One of my most grabbed oh Shoot moment tools in my workshop.

Comment

Take a center punch and mark you a spot in the middle of the broken off tap. Then, drill it out with progressively larger drill bits, starting fairly small so that you can start as close to center as possible. Take your time and use plenty of oil/cutting fluid with a slow drill speed.

Comment

tap steel is awfully hard. Not sure he'd be able to mark and drill it unless he has a carbide bit--

Comment

Based on the lock ring it appears to be a Hornady die would scrap the die and just get a new one. For the record I have reloaded for roughly 15 years and the only cases I ever stuck were in the new Hornady dies. I don't know if there is a correlation there or not.

Comment

I'm gonna be real surprised if you are able to drill that out.
                I assume there's no way to hit it from the other side?
                Backing the tap out seems like the best first approach. Is there enough to get a drill chuck on it? That's worked for me before. If not the needle nose are a good idea.

Comment

Do you have the decapping pin out of the die?

Comment

Also don't the tops come off of those dies?

Comment

A machine shop could get it out. Once you figure how much they will charge, you might as well buy a new die.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                        Based on the lock ring it appears to be a Hornady die would scrap the die and just get a new one. For the record I have reloaded for roughly 15 years and the only cases I ever stuck were in the new Hornady dies. I don't know if there is a correlation there or not.
                        Ive stuck several cases with this particular Hornady die. I should probably just scrap it and buy something else, but the cheap skate in me just wants to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
                          Ive stuck several cases with this particular Hornady die. I should probably just scrap it and buy something else, but the cheap skate in me just wants to fix it.
                          By the time you get that out the cheapskate in you may be hollering UNCLE...

Comment

I think your only hope would be to try and drive the case out with the expander rod that's stuck in the die with the case you'll have to get a new rod might be hard to find so ? I would just get a new die
                            That is by far the worst part of reloading !

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post

I have a single set of Hornadys, the rest are all RCBS. If I didn’t use the Hornady dues but once in a blue moon I would have trashed em and got RCBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X